LaunchBox Community Forums

Epoch Super Cassette Vision emulator

spycat

Just curious to know if anyone has managed to get the Epoch Super Cassette Vision emulator (Epoch SCV aka eSCV) to launch games either standalone using it's GUI, or via LBox. I found this emulator to be very elusive; all searches took me to it's author's homepage which is a mixture of Japanese and English and a nightmare to follow, but I finally tracked it down on a German site. The emulator opens fine, but I can't get it to open games. I've tried the games in ZIP and also extracted them to their BIN format to no avail. As it seems to look for rom files in Windows Explorer, I tried changing the BIN extension to ROM, also without success. MESS is rumoured to support this console but I don't use or like it.

• 1 month later...
Update: The copy of the emulator I was using was not complete. A new source (courtesy of Neo Kobe) works just fine out of the box and can open games from within LaunchBox. The only blot is that there seems to be no feature to save and load game progress - shades of the actual machine. Still, this is a nice emulator that allows 1980's Super Cassette Vision gaming to be enjoyed and preserved. An alternative to this emulator: Mess (pre 0162b) or Mame with Mess integrated (0162b and later) will work. I've tested it with Mame 0170b. For this you will need the Mess bios for the Super Cassette Vision scv.zip You'll also need to use the params scv -cart The possible attraction of Mame/Mess is that saving is allowed and it works fine for me, although it is officially classed as unsupported. A small number of games may not play and sound issues may be experienced. The epochtv.chr bit of the Mess bios is apparently a bad dump and there doesn't seem to be a good dump available yet. The upd7801g.s01 bit is equivalent to the bios rom used by the SCV emulator itself. Having tried out both I prefer the actual emulator over the Mame/Mess version. If you're interested in playing around with emulators for vintage Japanese systems then check out the Neo Kobe emulator pack. The SCV emulator can be found in the Toshiya Takeda subfolder.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/7/2016 at 6:17 PM, spycat said:

Update: The copy of the emulator I was using was not complete. A new source (courtesy of Neo Kobe) works just fine out of the box and can open games from within LaunchBox. The only blot is that there seems to be no feature to save and load game progress - shades of the actual machine. Still, this is a nice emulator that allows 1980's Super Cassette Vision gaming to be enjoyed and preserved. An alternative to this emulator: Mess (pre 0162b) or Mame with Mess integrated (0162b and later) will work. I've tested it with Mame 0170b. For this you will need the Mess bios for the Super Cassette Vision scv.zip You'll also need to use the params scv -cart The possible attraction of Mame/Mess is that saving is allowed and it works fine for me, although it is officially classed as unsupported. A small number of games may not play and sound issues may be experienced. The epochtv.chr bit of the Mess bios is apparently a bad dump and there doesn't seem to be a good dump available yet. The upd7801g.s01 bit is equivalent to the bios rom used by the SCV emulator itself. Having tried out both I prefer the actual emulator over the Mame/Mess version. If you're interested in playing around with emulators for vintage Japanese systems then check out the Neo Kobe emulator pack. The SCV emulator can be found in the Toshiya Takeda subfolder.

Were you able to get all of the games working with SCV?  I have it but so far I can't get Y2Monsterland, Dragon Ball, Dragon Slayer, or Doraemon working.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Son Gokuu said:

I read that Mame emulate it, but I'm not able to run them with retroarch (mame core 0.220) and I have the BIOS in \system

Then actually use MAME and not Retroarch, retroarch MAME is really for the Arcade roms, any other system is a pain in the ass to use in Retroarch.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thanks for the post, it help me :)

Epoch super cassette vision is my first video consol, I try also to find an emulator and it is not working on my side ...

I m usig this one : http://takeda-toshiya.my.coocan.jp/

but any of my roms are working, I still have a blue screen.

I tryed to use MAME in version 0.222, I have the bios with the two files epochtv.chr and upd7801g.s01 but I don't know how to use it ...

I found roms here : https://www.downloadroms.io/roms/epoch-super-cassette-vision/

If you can help, I will appreciate.