LaunchBox Community Forums

Try to get a kid to use a game controller...

ps4isthefuture

Maybe this is just something here where I live. Several times my friends will come over with their kids. I think ok I'll throw on some games I liked when I was a kid for them to play. I let them watch me for about 2 minutes before they are going crazy really wanting to play. I give them a controller and they just look at me with this, what am I suppose to do with that thing. They get frustrated and give up not because they don't want to play, because they really want to play but just cannot grasp the controller concept. And then they go grab their Ipad....Apple what have you done to the children??? So now they just come over and watch me play, I try to teach them but they just tell me, no I just watch you...I don't want to use that thing (the controller). But the culture here is different, most house holds don't have a console, many don't have a computer, maybe a laptop, but mainly cheap knock-off smart phones and tablets. But this is still a developing country, I have to remember that. I live in a land that most people don't know who Mario is!! Crazy

They may only be a problem where you are. My brother and I recently bought Android Mini PC's and we had them over at my 19 year old nephews (he grew up playing console games) they are loaded up with emulators and ROMs for Nintendo (all platforms except GC 3DS and the Wii's) Sega (no DC or Saturn) Turbo Grafix, ColecoVision, Atari 2600 Sony (just PSP and PS) and MAME. Him and his friends were having fun especially playing Mike Tyson's Punchout and Contra using the Konami code. Its very funny to watch because they aren't all that good at the older games but consider themselves hard core gamers (Its nice to see them humbled once in a while). My nephew even asked my brother to borrow his to take to a party they were going too. He told us everyone had a good time playing retro games. I know that my nephews cousin who is 11 is into emulators because I was helping him get a N64 emulator one day when he was over at his house. So at least around here in NJ there are some young kids interested in playing some old games.

Yeah, I have kids ages 6, 4 (almost 5) and 3. You forget how hard it is, especially for little kids, to learn how to use one of those things lol. My oldest (6) does great with them now, and can actually beat me at racing games, but it took him a lot of effort to be able to do that. In fact, he became proficient at gaming with a keyboard much quicker than with a 360 controller. My 4 (almost 5) year old is just now interested in picking up the controller. She's still working on it; she's pretty useless at it for the moment. ;)

Yeah, my son (6) is pretty good with a controller now, though it was a little tricky for him at first and I had to keep encouraging him. I've always let him win on some games, gradually making it tougher for him, but now he can actually beat me, even when I am really trying. He continues to surprise me with how good he is at some games.