LaunchBox Community Forums

Non-installed Steam/GOG Galaxy/Origin games import feature

CliveBarker

Hello everyone. First of all, I am in love with this software, launchbox, at least for me, is the Scarlett Johansson of the frontends. Now moving to the subject of this topic. Is there any way to implement an importing feature that lets you import non-installed games from Steam, Origin and GOG Galaxy? I have about 350 games in those platforms, and installing all the games in order to be imported to launchbox is not a possibility for me and I am pretty sure that I am not the only one with this issue. Emulation and PC Gaming is just a passion for me but I am no programmer and I don't really know the technical implications of this request. I am not sure about this, but, does Steam and the other platforms store any useful files, like game IDs in your computer? Can these files be used to import non-installed games from your library? Like implementing a feature where launchbox scan your Steam Folder and look for files associated to your games library in order to import them. I really don't know if someone will understand this I tried to explain myself. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Hi Clive, I do need to get that implemented, one way or another. Right now for Steam I use the Steam configuration files, but that only works for installed games. I know that there is a way to use the Steam API to do it, though, so I have it on my list to get that working with Steam. Per Origin and GOG, I'm not sure if it's even possible. I'll do some more research at some point to see if there's any kind of an API (or file system file) I can use. Thanks, Jason

Awesome to hear that Jason, thanks for the reply and I will look forward to it. On a side note, I am not sure about doing another thread for this but, I am a member of a lot of spanish emulation forums, the spanish emulation community is huge and I have made a thread about Launchbox to spread the word and I get a lot of messages asking me about a spanish translation of the App, are those in your to do list? If not I will be glad to help you translate it, I am a native spanish speaker and I have a lot of free time right now and I would like to contribute to this project in some way(as a free volunteer of course), anyway thanks for your attention man.

That's awesome, Clive. Thanks for helping to get the word out. There are a number of things I still need to do in order to make translations possible for the app, but it should be on my short list, especially now that you're willing to translate. I'll see if I can get support for translations in soon. I basically have to pull out all of the language into a separate file and then provide a way to insert different files, so it's not an easy endeavor, but would definitely be worthwhile.

Good news, guys; I have a solution in place for translations. Had some time tonight, and was curious, so we have a plan. I have most of the error messages into the translation system, but I still have a long ways to go to work in the forms and such. That said, Clive, I have what you'd need in order to get started translating things. Send me an email (anything@launchbox-app.com) and I'll get you hooked up. :) Thanks again, Clive.

• 1 month later...
Jason Carr said Indeed there has, Fluffo. :) I have a Steam API/user ID-based import in development, that should be out in an upcoming beta very shortly. Hopefully within the next couple of days. I am hammering through it this weekend.
I'll need to buy you some coffee. Edit: Hell, I need coffee right now. >.>

Jason Carr said Indeed there has, Fluffo. :) I have a Steam API/user ID-based import in development, that should be out in an upcoming beta very shortly. Hopefully within the next couple of days. I am hammering through it this weekend.
That is great! Could you reply to this thread when it is released? PS: You and SentaiBrad are incredibly fast when it comes to replies.

Fluffo said
That is great! Could you reply to this thread when it is released? PS: You and SentaiBrad are incredibly fast when it comes to replies.
It's an advantage when you get e-mails about every thread. More importantly however, we care about the product and the users. I use we and our a lot, but I came in after the fact. It's really Jason who created the amazing program and created / fostered a great community. I just help continue to foster it. It says a lot about a person when 2 years ago you (me) had no clue something like this existed to the level it does and all you want to do is help it grow, get better, reach a bigger audience. That's all Jason for me. We also have a good friendship now. If LaunchBox were to for what ever reason cease to exist (god forbid) we would still talk every day and be good friends.

Thanks for implementing this Jason! I have a question: Is steamdb.info involved in any step of this new import process? I have found that like a half of my 312 Steam games imported have incorrect info, even Borderlands 2 wasn't found in the databases for some reason. https://steamdb.info/ have the most complete and accurate information about Steam games, the problem is that I can't find any information about the License that they are using. I don't know if they use Creative Commons or something like that. Of course I can contribute to TheGamesDB by uploading the correct information for each game tho, but if you are interested in data accuracy for your upcoming LaunchBox Database, that is the place.

CliveBarker said Is steamdb.info involved in any step of this new import process? I have found that like a half of my 312 Steam games imported have incorrect info, even Borderlands 2 wasn't found in the databases for some reason. https://steamdb.info/ have the most complete and accurate information about Steam games, the problem is that I can't find any information about the License that they are using.
I've just tried the demo and had to purchase the license, as this is a piece of software for which I've been looking...oh, about 30 years! :) I also love the new Steam implementation (in the beta), but have noticed the same thing: a large amount of games simply aren't recognized, although they should be. I'd echo Clive's recommendation to use steamdb.info if possible. Cheers for such a great program, and thanks for your hard work and dedication!

CliveBarker said Thanks for implementing this Jason! I have a question: Is steamdb.info involved in any step of this new import process? I have found that like a half of my 312 Steam games imported have incorrect info, even Borderlands 2 wasn't found in the databases for some reason. https://steamdb.info/ have the most complete and accurate information about Steam games, the problem is that I can't find any information about the License that they are using. I don't know if they use Creative Commons or something like that. Of course I can contribute to TheGamesDB by uploading the correct information for each game tho, but if you are interested in data accuracy for your upcoming LaunchBox Database, that is the place.
This is something that we have to fight with. The ultimate answer is saddly, there is only so far we can take it. Can you give us some examples? Each of you. That will help us to determine if the import has inccorect search terms, or any other reason why it might have chosen something else? One thing I notice, and there isn't much we an do about it, but the more Vague they are, like Virus, more often than not they will be flagged incorrectly. DOS has a bad problem of doing this too. PC has a lot more unknown and variabls to it.

Of course SentaiBrad, there is a specific issue with Early Access, Beta, and GOTY/Speacial editions of Steam games, all those are not being flagged correctly. Also with newer releases, some of them have this issue. Edit: Yeah, I noticed that in some cases, where a game has a name that is almost the same as another game, sometimes it takes the wrong choices, at the end of the day, I understand that the construction of the new database will need a lot of community participation, don't get me wrong, this is not a complain, I was just curious if steamdb.info can help with this cases.

CliveBarker said Of course SentaiBrad, there is a specific issue with Early Access, Beta, and GOTY/Speacial editions of Steam games, all those are not being flagged correctly. Also with newer releases, some of them have this issue. Edit: Yeah, I noticed that in some cases, where a game has a name that is almost the same as another game, sometimes it takes the wrong choices, at the end of the day, I understand that the construction of the new database will need a lot of community participation, don't get me wrong, this is not a complain, I was just curious if steamdb.info can help with this cases.
Saddly, I don't think steamdb.info can help... It might, but the problem isn't knowing the name, its picking the correct game from the two places we currently scrape games from.