LaunchBox Community Forums

Seagate introduces 8Tb HDD for Consumers

CadetStimpy

I want 16 of them but will probably wait until my next failure before I get one that is if my MediaSonic ProBox enclosures support drives that big. I bought another 5TB Seagate Backup drive last night so I can store all of my PS2 games on my basement HTPC.

By the way, if you guys have a little bit of money to spare, and have lots of data, you need to know about Crashplan. It's amazing because there's no limit to how much you can back up. So if you have 10 TB on a computer, you can literally back up 10 TB to the cloud for relatively cheap. I've used the service for over 5 years and I feel like I'm completely ripping them off. I'm not kidding when I say I have 30 TB backed up in the cloud. I pay for the family plan which gives me 10 computers. Can't remember what I paid (I keep getting it on sale) but it was something like 2 or 3 hundred for 5 years when I last renewed. As per how well it works, not only have I backed up that much, I've also successfully restored terabytes and terabytes after hard drive crashes, so confirmed, you can trust it.

Yeah, thankfully it will run in the background and you can throttle it, but yes, of course it does require a decent upload speed especially for the initial backup. I remember my initial backup took months and months. It keeps up fairly well to changes though once you've done the initial uploads.

I have FIOS and they weren't kidding when they say upload speeds match their download speeds I actually get faster upload speed the majority of the time so they must be taking it serious. Its too bad I never use it. I would trade that in second for some faster download speeds (that didn't involve me paying more loot).