LaunchBox Community Forums

Hardware 'Wish List' Topic (starting off with a 32:9 Aspect Ratio monitor!)

CadetStimpy

Samsung's very, very wide 32:9 aspect ratio monitor, and this one's only 49"! (I have a 4:3 one, Laugh). Samsung-32-9.jpg Here's a wimpier one Smile: Samsung-2-1.png BTW, the Link above takes you to a page at TFT Central; they only review/test monitors. They appear to be extremely thorough. Damn, there are armies of monitors out there! Smile This site may be my 'go-to' Site when I eventually upgrade my puny one. Smile P.S. Since I post a fair amount of hardware related stuff, I thought I'd start putting all my hardware-type posts in here, so they're all in one place (instead of randomly peppered throughout the Monkey forum). Smile The urge to do this is probably related to my OCD Cable Management disorder. LaughLaugh

This is awesome! I have a couple websites for your that you may love, lol. First up multi-monitor setups where you can choose any size for them such as their either 32" monitor setup LaughLaughLaugh zvatlas32qhd-wid900.jpg http://www.digitaltigers.com/multi-screen-monitors.asp Another one I just recently found upon trying to look for a new controller. I got a bit curious for custom ones and found an awesome place that does amazing hand painting designs of your choice (PS4, Xbox360, and Xbox One) https://thecontrollershop.com/lab.php

And now, for some more unusual 'hardware' and software. Only a minor caution (no really explicit content) on this one, but I'd still not let the kiddies see it. Wink A buddy sent me this earlier today: VirtuaDoll. After a minute, you'll get the idea. But, if you continue to watch (starting about 1'45"), there's a portion of the game where you can go on to save kidnapped goddesses, defeat mythical beasts, and then claim your reward. Laugh There's also a free SDK, so you can develop your own fantasies! Smile P.S. Free advice is worth every cent of it, but if you'd be ashamed if your Mom knew about it, then you may not wanna do it! LaughLaugh

• 3 weeks later...
Data Storage in the 5th Dimension (I'm not kidding). Using nano-structured glass, scientists from the Optoelectronics Research Centre at the University of Southampton have developed the recording and retrieval processes of five dimensional (5D) digital data by femtosecond laser writing. Highlights: The data will last 13.8 billion years at 374°F (190°C) and virtually forever at room temperature. Thermal stability up to 1832°F (1000°C). 360TB/Disc Data Capacity

I see now that it is geared toward the developing world so they want to sell it to people without much money that in itself is pretty cool. It also will have encyclopedia and other learning things installed so your computer will still be useful if you aren't online. Its not for me but I like the idea behind it. I still want the data storage that will last a billion years that is such a sick concept and oh yeah its 360TB and called a Superman Crystal what! I'm still having a nerdgasm over that article.

DOS76 said I still want the data storage that will last a billion years that is such a sick concept and oh yeah its 360TB and called a Superman Crystal what! I'm still having a nerdgasm over that article.
I know! When I first started working in the computer industry with Digital Equipment Corporation (1970's) I saw Core Memory Boards. Each little metal 'donut' on the board represented only one bit. Holy crap, we've come a long way!

Wow so you were playing with these things before they even came home huh that was pretty interesting. From punch cards to 360TB drives that will last for billions of years in under 100 years is pretty amazing progress if you ask me. Its crazy how an animal as foolish and as flawed as man is stupid and off the charts brilliant all at the same time. Also this drive could be like a Jedi Holicron (from the expanded universe novels and comics) In the real world they would be insane for keeping long term familial archives for generations. Also if this ever came to market they would definitely be able to improve on the 360TB size restriction over time.

DOS76 said Wow so you were playing with these things before they even came home
Yup, and punch cards, as you referenced, too. Working as a 'Computer Operator' on the night shift at the headquarters of a large grocery store chain, we used them. One night my co-worker was carrying 4 trays of cards over to where they'd be processed, and he tripped and dropped the trays. There were literally thousands of cards (the trays were about 3 feet long, packed with cards from end-to-end). That sucked, putting the cards back in order. Yah, they had to be in order. Frown Oh, did I mention 'Paper Tape' on a PDP-11/70 mainframe? I had access to all the 'chad/chaff' anyone could ever want. Laugh

DOS76 said Its crazy how an animal as foolish and as flawed as man is stupid and off the charts brilliant all at the same time.
I agree, it's a huge disparity in intellect, that's for sure. I wonder if dolphins have geniuses and idiots. I would think so. Speaking of stupid... This 'chart' is not Politically Correct, but was acceptable, back then (BTW, I hate PCness - waaay too many adult whining babies in the world Yell), and it could come in handy at some trivia event. Smile Trivia.jpg

DOS76 said Also this drive could be like a Jedi Holicron (from the expanded universe novels and comics) In the real world they would be insane for keeping long term familial archives for generations.
Crap, Derek, you're right. LaughLaugh Has anyone else noticed how so much Sci-Fi ends-up becoming a reality? Smile (I admire accurate visionaries).