LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone use software for recording your Gaming action? (Favorite?)

CadetStimpy

I just got us some tickets to Batman Supeman next Thursday night and I used to take his punk ass to the Phillies game all the time back when they were worth going to see (2010) so I hope he remembers me when I'm old. No really he's 19 years old and he is a really good kid which is a surprise considering how retarded his father (my brother) is.

Skip Raptr, and Shadow play only works if you have specific Nvidia GPU's and play the game at certain resolutions. OBS I use primarily for streaming and recording the tutorials because it's easy to get the entire screen. I also have it stream and record when I stream so I have a backup of the video just in case something breaks on Twitch's or YouTube's end. Otherwise I used to FRAPS but is hasn't been updated in some time. I switched to DXTory and using specific codecs I have slightly better performance, similar enough quality (we're talking about several thousand or even over 100k bitrates so when I say similar I mean from indiscernible to indiscernible quality levels) and a decent drop in file size. A 30 min video in FRAPS was about 100-150GB bigger than what I can get in DXTory, so I can record more at once.

• 10 months later...

I see. I'll grab OBS then and try that. I'm trying to build a demo of my front end so far and wanted to also share with LB community how I personally built my own Nintendo Power "platform" and the scripts that i used to grab the cover art from my collection etc. It's a lot easier to video as some learn visually. I was struggling with Dxtory so thanks for the clarification. 

Oh this is going to take some getting used to. It recorded the audio but the output is two small avi files and an flv which plays in VLC but is a black screen. Ok I found the output settings and that's all clear in terms of moving it to mp4 format what quality I want etc. Is there a trick to getting it to record the desktop and / or bigbox or do I need to go get my crappy capture box? Ahh adding source. This is a nice program thanks for the heads up Brad!

Edited by Zeromod

I've used quite a few different ones over the years, like FRAPS, Xsplit, and awful junk like Camstudio, Camtasia, and Xfire Video Recorder. I like both OBS and Nvidia Share quite a bit. I probably end up using Nvidia Share more commonly just because it's a bit more streamlined but OBS can deal with situations that Nvidia Share can't and it does have more features (that may or may not matter to you); and obviously there's the fact that you can use it with non-Nvidia cards. They're both really good though.

You might need to tweak some of the settings a bit, output with the right codec in the right container (not FLV), and up the bit rate as well. These are my settings, and some things may be a bit different (like your list of encoders and recording path), but this is what I use to record all the tutorials with.

Oi0OwRz.png

KVZKOwT.png