LaunchBox Community Forums

The downfall of KickAss Torrent

DOS76

Here is a story from TorrentFreak breaking down how the owner of KAT was found and arrested. Its kinda of scary how they finally took dude down with the help of FaceBook and Apple. It goes to show that if you are running an illegal website that maybe a Facebook page is a bad thing to have and to also have your iTunes account (or any account for that matter) be registered under the same user name/criminal alias that you used to post on KAT as the owner may also be a little sloppy. Anyway KAT is gone for now but hopefully it will be back as it was the best source for x265 TV shows

I had heard about that, but hadn't read the entire story - thanks for the Link. It actually surprises me those Torrent Sites stay up as long as they do. It just seems as if it would be so easy to track them down. I didn't think you could do squat on the Internet without it being logged somewhere. Even if you're runnin' something like PeerBlock, it seems you're still traceable, if they look hard enough. FWIW, I don't have a Facebook account, and I'm keeping it that way. Wink

I use EZTV and ETTV but have been using KAT almost exclusively since the others haven't gotten down with the x265 scene yet for TV. KAT was my go to for my weekly comic books so now I have to find an alternative for that though.

Cadet Stimpy said FWIW, I don't have a Facebook account, and I'm keeping it that way. Wink
Same here, so you're not alone. Never felt the need for it personally. I only want to be kept in touch with so much. Anyone that needs to reach me has my cell/email. Not knocking it by any means it's just my personal preference is allWink

alexis524 said
Cadet Stimpy said FWIW, I don't have a Facebook account, and I'm keeping it that way. Wink
Same here, so you're not alone. Never felt the need for it personally. I only want to be kept in touch with so much. Anyone that needs to reach me has my cell/email. Not knocking it by any means it's just my personal preference is allWink
Same here. I used to have one, but then I realized I was only using it because I felt obligated to, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let a corporation guilt me into using their product. Plus I have a relative who had his career ruined over an offhand remark he made on Facebook, and I just don't need that kind of worry.