LaunchBox Community Forums

Extremely slow EmuMovies downloads through LaunchBox

CADScott

I have noticed recently that downloads of media from EmuMovies is extremely slow. I am a lifetime member of EmuMovies, so there should not be any restriction on my connection. I just did a test and added 20 Sega CD games that I had not added before. I set the download options for EmuMovies to be only Manuals, Music and HQ Videos, and left it to run while monitoring the transfer rate with resource monitor in windows 10. When the images were being downloaded from the LaunchBox database, my connection maxed out at about 4MB/s, but when getting the media from EmuMovies, the average connection speed is around 25KB/s, which means it took nearly 1.5 hours to import the 20 games! Cry I checked the total data downloaded, and it was only 60MB of manuals, and 64MB of videos, with no music files at all. Does anyone else have this issue with their connection to EmuMovies, this is not the first time it has been this slow, and it has been like this for a few days.

I have relatively fast internet compared to most where I live(It is expensive though!), about a 30MBit connections, so the speeds I am getting are not due to my connection. I actually tried connecting to their FTP server, and am still getting the same connection speeds, not much more than 20kB/sec, which is so painful to get anything! Going to try going through my VPN see if that makes a difference.

• 5 years later...

This has become a bigger problem every release of LB.  LB is now very fast downloading local and LB images and metadata, but the downloads of media from Emumovies  are taking up to a minute per game just to get queued, and another minute or so to download the actual files.  It absolutely kills the speed of LB and needs to be addressed.

10 hours ago, smpetty said:

This has become a bigger problem every release of LB.  LB is now very fast downloading local and LB images and metadata, but the downloads of media from Emumovies  are taking up to a minute per game just to get queued, and another minute or so to download the actual files.  It absolutely kills the speed of LB and needs to be addressed.

Can you elaborate on the issue? Is this with single game media downloads or multiple? Have you seen a difference depending on the number games you are scraping?

The team has looked at this. In fact in 12.2 release this was specifically addressed. We have had multiple users report speeds have increased for them.

Version 12.2 - Released November 8, 2021

• Improvement: EmuMovies downloads now use the same multi-threaded downloader that the LaunchBox Games Database uses, which should result in faster download speeds; also thanks to Circo for additional improved speeds

Thanks Retro808 - it occurs when I am adding metadata, images, and videos to imported files that were not correctly recognized or unrecognized at import.  So I am editing one game at a time, fixing the title and Launchbox ID, and then downloading media.  The Launchbox Games Database/Storefront part of the media lookup and download is almost instantaneous, but  it then takes a long time for the EmuMovies lookup to occur ("Querying EmuMovies..."), often up to a minute per game.   The download of the Emumovies files is a bit slow too, at least compared to the Launchbox Games Database.

16 minutes ago, smpetty said:

Thanks Retro808 - it occurs when I am adding metadata, images, and videos to imported files that were not correctly recognized or unrecognized at import.  So I am editing one game at a time, fixing the title and Launchbox ID, and then downloading media.  The Launchbox Games Database/Storefront part of the media lookup and download is almost instantaneous, but  it then takes a long time for the EmuMovies lookup to occur ("Querying EmuMovies..."), often up to a minute per game.   The download of the Emumovies files is a bit slow too, at least compared to the Launchbox Games Database.

Is there a difference when you import a single game for the first time and have it download media from EmuMovies? Can you test that and report if you experience the same slow download speeds from EmuMovies?