LaunchBox Community Forums

Just finished going through NES/Famicom games.

FistyDollars

So I just spent a fair few hours over the past day or so going through the Nintendo Entertainment System section, submitting change of platform requests for any games that I knew were Japan-only. I apologize in advance if I missed any, or if any Famicom games should have gone to Famicom Disk System instead, I just wanted to make sure it was all done as quickly as possible to avoid any further confusion. Sorry to the moderators who have to wade through a constant stream of change-of-platform requests...I know it'd annoy me a little.Embarassed

Alright sounds good, thanks man. One last thing, sorry... I'm not seeing how to add a game? One that is labeled wrong in LaunchBox is missing from both Famicom and NES lists in gamesdb. I assume that's why in LaunchBox it's incorrectly labeled as the sequel.

8Phantasm said I see Famicom games in the NES section, and the Famicom section is only one page.
I would wait 1 or 2 days until moderation for bunch of changes from NES to Famicom is finished, so you don't have do do the same work someone else made the last ~3-4 days. I remember it was a significant count that handled this exact same problem. Approval of changes takes some time, depending how active mods and contributers are.

moppedz said
8Phantasm said I see Famicom games in the NES section, and the Famicom section is only one page.
I would wait 1 or 2 days until moderation for bunch of changes from NES to Famicom is finished, so you don't have do do the same work someone else made the last ~3-4 days. I remember it was a significant count that handled this exact same problem. Approval of changes takes some time, depending how active mods and contributers are.
Yeah, I've still got a fair amount of the changes waiting to be fully approved. It could be a little while.

How do I check what's in the queue for a platform, awaiting moderation? It takes 3 accepts from moderating to update the database right? Too late for waiting, though. I did everything except 2 games left at the moment... Anyhow, How would I fix something like this on the database? I use No-Intro and Redump, but I have one Famicom rom that I noticed that is being labeled as a totally different game, yet both games are on the database. The title of the no-intro nes rom file is nowhere near the title of the game it is labeled. This might be a special case, as the game it's labeled as is a hack. Not that it doesn't deserve to be in the database as it's one of the good hacks. But, I am trying to understand why it is being labeled as this game. Another thing to note is I don't have the hack imported into LaunchBox yet. Does the database read the title of the game in the database and match by filename?

8Phantasm said How do I check what's in the queue for a platform, awaiting moderation? It takes 3 accepts from moderating to update the database right? Too late for waiting, though. I did everything except 2 games left at the moment...
Right now I havent seen such an option (still in alpha stage, there is still a lot to improve/change). When think you have an improvement/bug/etc. feel free to use gamesdb bitbucket, to add an ticket. Seeing pending moderations with a before/after comparsion would be useful for contributers.
8Phantasm said Anyhow, How would I fix something like this on the database? I use No-Intro and Redump, but I have one Famicom rom that I noticed that is being labeled as a totally different game, yet both games are on the database. The title of the no-intro nes rom file is nowhere near the title of the game it is labeled. This might be a special case, as the game it's labeled as is a hack. Not that it doesn't deserve to be in the database as it's one of the good hacks. But, I am trying to understand why it is being labeled as this game. Another thing to note is I don't have the hack imported into LaunchBox yet. Does the database read the title of the game in the database and match by filename?
No-Intro and redump should be the valid entrys. If you recognize a hack in the database, feel free to delete/edit it to the right values and pictures, as hacks as of right now are not supported in the db. They mess with original games, just as it happened to you. There is already a bitbucket ticket and some threads in here, regarding that problem. To name a quick workaround for your problem, scrape the game and edit the values by hand in launchbox.

I'll try a few experiments like adding the rom hack(s) in my LaunchBox collection and seeing if it only has issues when you don't have the hack. Not sure how we would perfect matching hacks in the database, other than maybe having them go off of the GoodSet filename since that set does hacks. Odd that one person so far has rejected two of my games when they are clearly missing and causing the actual roms to be labeled as their sequels. Thanks for the info. I'll submit any ideas I have to improve the database. I have a few at the moment. Maybe a section to put a Note to the moderator and save them some time by explaining something. Like one of my game entries can very easily be mistaken for another game in the database. It only has one letter different in the game title. I look forward to helping out with moderation, though.

Yeah, when moderating you can already add a comment why you reject it, but you can't when you contribute a change, which indeed would make sense. As far as i know (never occured to me) you can read the comment when the contribution/change got rejected. It is hard to moderate an not so small amount of changes and you have to guess the reason and try to figure it out by own research. Some changes even do not make sense at all and you waste your time figuring out why it got changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gone through NES again and changed games to Famicom that I know are Famicom only releases, thes are mainly pirate games. I've left the games alone that had an actual NES Cart release, as well as homebrew and romhacks and protos.

The only one I couldn't get changed was Spartan X, kept giving me an error when I submitted.

Now back to updating Famicom Disk :D

• Like 1