LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBoxAnnotator Tool

mathflair

I have an updated version of the tool now available at https://bitbucket.org/mathflair/launchboxtools/downloads/LaunchBoxTools.exe. To answer the issues people were experiencing:
  • Bad CRC values were not being matched. As mentioned earlier, this was a conscious choice, based on input from @Bil. Still, enough people seem to have trouble with this, so I have handed basic handling of error containing CRC codes. I've tried it with the SNES synopsis file that was uploaded, and it works without errors.
  • SSelph scraper not working. I was unable to replicate this problem. Did you move the gamelist.xml file from where it was generated? My tool works by trying to match the relative path for the ROM in the gamelist, against the ROM path stored in LaunchBox. I tested using the GB.xml file you gave me, and when I put it into the right directory, everything seemed to be working. Oh, and the empty results window just means it can't match any files. Not the most descriptive, and I may fix that in the future.
  • Hide duplicates not working. I was not able to duplicate this problem. Still, I may have had an older version of the tool uploaded that was causing problems. Try using the newest version, and see if that fixes your problems.
  • Poor errors. This complaint is why I think I must have had an old version uploaded, as the latest version has OK error messages. Still not great, but should at least make it more clear what is causing problems with parsing synopsis files. Try the new version and see if that helps.
If I've missed any problems, please let me know. I'll try to fix anything else I see mentioned today.

I tested SNES and PS1. SNES now works like a charm but the PS1 synopsis file still gives me an error. I uploaded the synopsis file so you can test it yourself. ps1error.jpg I also have a request. It would also be nice to have the option to choose what kind of Custom Fields I want to add with the synopsis files. I only care about Controller and Alternative title. Another question. What exactly are these System Ini files? Can you give an example where I can find one?

The reason the PS1 isn't working is that it doesn't use CRC values. Do you know where I can find documentation about the Synopsis format? To be honest, I can't even remember where to download synopsis files. I can download a zip file that has each game in a separate file, but I don't know how to get the single file synopsis anymore.

I don’t know if there’s documentation for it. Before I discovered your tool I didn’t even know about synopsis. Like I said I guess the easiest way would be to add the option to customize what kind of Custom Fields should be imported. So you can just skip the CRC values. The CRC values are always in the first line of each game entry. Even if a game doesn’t have a CRC value the line is there and blank. So the simplest solution could be to just skip always the first line of an entry.

CriticalCid, try out this version and see if it fixes your problem. This version relies on CRC's always being the first value. It is also more lenient with bad synopsis files, such as empty lines, and also handles the HTML encoded data more elegantly. I would like to have a couple people check this out with synopsis files to make sure it works for everyone before I add it to the main download.

I just tested it with PS1 and N64(which doesn’t have any CRC values at all) and both were imported without any problems!Smile But I also noticed that the “License” field from the filename scraper and the “Gametype” field from the synopsis scraper are containing more or less the same info. It would be great if the data from the “Gametype” field could be integrated within the “License” field instead of being a redundant entry. And in case you forgot my question:
CriticalCid said Another question. What exactly are these System Ini files? Can you give an example where I can find one?

apathy did you edit your response? I got an email saying that said your post indicate you were still having a problem hiding games. Is this still an issue for you? As for your question, you can do that. Here is how I would usually do it. The selectors i use are in this order: 1) Built-in field. Region, Exactly "USA" 2) Built-in field. Region, Contains "USA" 3) Version. Highest version. 4) Custom field. Filename. Shortest. 1 will select games that are only in the USA, where as 2 will only be applied if 1 didn't match any games. 3 gives you the highest version, and 4 picks the shortest filename, which will help you pick only one item if the other 3 leave you with more than one possible candidate for de-duplication.

Yeah I did sorry about the confusion. I got it to finally work from doing these steps: 1. Close launchbox 2. Run the tool as admin (not sure if this is necessary) 3. Load the xml and start using it I think the reason why it didn't work for me last time was because I had launchbox loaded while using the tool. Thanks for the steps. I have one issue with using the region field, all of my SNES rom region fields are blank using the launchbox scraper. Is it possible to use your step 4 and have it look for USA in the filename? Thanks for the help and for this wonderful tool!

I'm guessing you have LaunchBox installed in your program files. Yes in the case you would need admin rights to write the changes. I don't even know how to make my program escalate and ask for those rights as needed, to be honest. As for finding the region in filenames, you can certainly do that. Just use the contains options. Feel free to play around with the options, that is why I created the test buttons. My suggestion for regions though, is that you first run the filename scraper to pull region information out of your ROMS. This will work if they use the clean rom spec (i.e., (USA), (EUROPE), (USA, Europe), etc.). Then you will have that info and can use the steps I suggested.

It's not installed in my program files. But I don't know if admin rights is required or not, I just do it out of habit now just to make sure it works. Thanks for the advice of the filename scraper, it worked perfectly! Now everything seems to be working as it should be and I'm really happy with the results. Thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1) I don't remember. 2) Synopsis files are related to this site: http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/ 3) Yes, it works on Windows; though, you do need to have the Go language installed. For 1 and 2, hopefully the original requesters of those features can remind me where to download them :)

quazl said Does the "sselph/scraper" work on windows?
mathflair said Yes, it works on Windows; though, you do need to have the Go language installed.
I also provide windows binaries at https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases although I don't want to discourage installing Go Smile