LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBoxAnnotator Tool

mathflair

sselph said I also provide windows binaries at https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases although I don't want to discourage installing Go Smile
Tried to build using Go and it was surprisingly simple. Though I ended up downloading all the dependencies manually using git in command line (I'm sure there is an automated way to do it). Just wanted to chime in and give thanks too ,)

My aim is to create LaunchBox dataset for an empty system based on just the ROM file names and bunch of Images/Sounds/etc. But the LaunchBox.xml is not being updated by Scrape. Used sselphs scraper.exe (on Win10):
scraper.exe -rom_dir pceng -output_file gamelist_pceng.xml -download_images=false -workers 4
That create a nice "gamelist_pceng.xml" with good looking data. Items like these:
<gameList> <game id="8205" source="theGamesDB.net"> <path>./Adventure Island (Japan).zip</path> <name>Adventure Island (Japan)</name> <desc>Poor Hu-Man! he just isn't his old self. Trying to escape from the evil dragon Mecha, he's transformed into the horrific Lizard Man! Get ready to kick some serious dragon tail, because 5 more are waiting to stop you. Each is more vicious than the last. And each turns Hu-Man into a different kind of total gross out! Slash 'em, burn 'em, and blow 'em away! Then capture the Salamander Cross to break the DRAGON'S CURSE.</desc> <image>./images/Adventure Island (Japan)-image.jpg</image> <releasedate>19910101T000000</releasedate> <developer>Hudson Soft</developer> <publisher>NEC</publisher> <genre>Adventure</genre> <players>1</players> </game>
Started LaunchBoxTools.exe: Selected "LaunchBox.xml", and from "Scrape" menu "sselph/scraper" and pointed that to the "gamelist_pceng.xml". I was under the impression that pressing "Scrape" would populate the "LaunchBox.xml" with the data from sselph's scraper.exe. But it does nothing. Test (All) shows and empty dialog box. This happens with all boxes ticked or with default ticks. I had one -item in my "LaunchBox.xml" (needed to import that to make the Platform selectable in LaunchBoxTool). Also tried with no games in the XML file. Am I missing something here?

DOS76 said Do you have LaunchBox running if so the XML won't change
Nope. I even copied the XML to a different folder. Ran the LaunchBoxTool as admin. Also my user is the creator and owner of that file (and also an Administrator). I added all the TG-16 games to LaunchBox to get a proper "LB.xml". Still this doesn't do anything to that wiht the sselp scraper. The System INI scraper actually added data to the EXISTING items. That did not want to create new items from scratch either. I think my expectations on what this LBTools app is about are wrong perhaps?

mathflair said LaunchBoxTools does not create any new entries in your launchbox file, just adds data to existing ones. It sounds like that is what is happening, correct?
Yes, correct. I misunderstood what the original workflow was meant to do. My goal was to just quickly recreate the "xml database" from scratch. If I understood: the correct flow with these tools is to 1) import roms to LB (import duplicates to get different languages in) (don't scrape anything to make it faster) 2) use LBTools to repopulate data in LauchBox.xml 3) use LBTools to rename&remove items based on language preference (though.. you need the images, sounds, etc to get them be renamed correctly) Hmm...

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, I dont know what im doing wrong, but the Launchbox tools doesnt list the last platform that I imported. But once I import the next platform, then the previous one that didnt show, shows up. So for instance, if I import Atari 7800, it wont show. But then I import Super Nintendo, then Atari 7800 shows but Super Nintendo wont show, when selecting platforms when I first start up the tool. I have Launchbox NOT running when using the tools.

One of the scrapers, system.ini - what system.ini? Also, the hide duplicates interface is completely confusing, I enter Region for the filter, enter any combination of "North America" or "USA" and I still get ALL regions listed in any of the games that show up when testing. I don't see it filtering anything. Capture.PNG This is where Im at now, does this look right? If so, what do I do? I want to keep the North American games, and hide the rest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One caveat is that I've disabled platform renaming, as this is more difficult to do with the new directory structure.

Awesome tools.......just found them a little too late.  I just upgraded to premium, and I see my Platform names do not match the themes default naming. Maybe I can downgrade launchbox and use an older version of your tool.  Thanks for making these tools available @mathflair

Update: I found the last version of launchbox that uses single xml. Would it be possible to make the older version of LaunchBoxTools available please?

Edited by Bizzar721
update