LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME question

craiganderson

Hello. I am launching all of my games/platforms via rocketlauncher (i.e. LAUNCHBOX --> ROCKETLAUNCHER --> EMULATOR). So far so good. But I have hit a roadblock with trying to launch MAME games. For all other systems this command line works perfectly: E:\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe -s "Atari 2600" -r E:\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe -s "Nintendo Entertainment System" -r but this does not work for MAME If I add the romname at the end...all works well: (see example below) E:\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe -s "MAME" -r "scramble" <-----works! (but i do not feel like doing that for thousands of games Confused ) QUESTION: Is there anyway to add the VARIABLE of the romname to the end of the command line??? For example, with EmulationStation you can do the following: E:\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe -s "Acorn Archimedes" -r "%ROM_RAW%" Anything Similar for Launchbox? thanks either way craig

Jason Carr said Hi Craig, if you check the box on the emulator to "use file name only without file extension or folder path", that should work well, as typically MAME files are named by the raw ROM name. You'll have to set up a separate emulator for that though.
awesome. i think that worked!! thank you very much -craig

Maybe this is a related question because I didn't understand the one above, but how do you play .chd files that work off the parent rom like Golden Tee Fore. It works with MAME32UI.168, off of the iteagle.zip file. However, I can't import the iteagle file. I'm pretty new to the program and forum so sorry if this has been addressed already.

Ok, I added the chd and changed the launcher to point to the rom file and it loaded, which was progress. However, now it does not find the chd folder. It still works if launched directly from MAMEUI32, but doesn't work if launched in launchbox, i.e. it says "BOOT FAILURE: NO HARD DISK FOUND". I feel like something is named incorrectly or something, but confused because it works in MAMEUI32 Thanks again.

Hi ClamLaker. Golden Tee Fore! is one of those romless games which are made up of a bios file and a chd - there is no conventional game rom. The game's rom name as MAME's internal database reads it is actually the name of the folder holding the CHD file. This type of game works fine when run directly from MAME, MAMEUI etc., but LB has an issue as there is no game rom as such to point to. You can't point LB to a folder name Your game consists of a bios file (iteagle.zip) and a chd file. I don't know which CHD you have as you didn't specify which version of the game you are using. Use Notepad to make an empty text file named the same as the game's CHD folder. Make sure you use the folder's name not the chd file's name, as sometimes these are different. Next either rename it's extension to ZIP or just send it to a ZIP. You now have a ZIP file with the same name as your game's CHD folder. Put this in with your MAME roms and point LBox to it. Your game should launch fine now.