LaunchBox Community Forums

Question for users who has big games compressed.

ALIE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should come with 2 exe's if I recall (I kind of don't) but yea, just drag the ISO on to maxcso. I recommend editing 'maxcso.exe' to 'maxcso iso .exe". The in your Windows Search type iso, then sort by size. MaxCSO should be at the top, and you can drag and drop. Remember a few things (which we've posted across the two threads now), it takes a lot of CPU power (most compression / decompression does), so make sure you're not doing much when you want to compress a few at a time. If the game doesn't run properly you should also be able to drag the cso back on to maxcso and it will decompress the game back to an iso. Only iso files will be converted, nothing else. I converted my others files to iso files with MagicISO. It's free, and all I did was open the non-iso image in MagicISO, then used the 'Save As' Feature, pointed to the games folder (where ever the non-iso was) and saved the file as an iso.

Well apparently it wont. You can convert CSO's back to ISO's, but apparently MaxCSO wont do it. Which I swear the article on the site said you could do it... Either way, I am confident my games will be just fine compressed. All of my PSP games but 3 are just fine being in CSO's.

DR9 said Space is cheap, there is no need to zip CD-based games ever. It's not like I am going to use 1000 USA PS2 games, I hand make my .XML lists of games, around 100 roughly.
It may be cheap, but that is relative to you. I would rather have a complete collection that takes a little longer to load on games I don't play often than having to choose which games I really need. I find it easier to get complete collections than agonising over which games and versions are the ones I really need. I have 6.5 TB in my main LaunchBox PC, and I can't easily fit another drive into it so anything I can do to reduce file sizes is good. Each person sees the advantage or disadvantages of compressing roms in different ways, and it is up to the individual to decide the way they want to manage their collection. There is no right way, or wrong way, just your way. I am just pleased we have the ability to choose to use it or not.

CADScott said
DR9 said Space is cheap, there is no need to zip CD-based games ever. It's not like I am going to use 1000 USA PS2 games, I hand make my .XML lists of games, around 100 roughly.
It may be cheap, but that is relative to you. I would rather have a complete collection that takes a little longer to load on games I don't play often than having to choose which games I really need. I find it easier to get complete collections than agonising over which games and versions are the ones I really need. I have 6.5 TB in my main LaunchBox PC, and I can't easily fit another drive into it so anything I can do to reduce file sizes is good. Each person sees the advantage or disadvantages of compressing roms in different ways, and it is up to the individual to decide the way they want to manage their collection. There is no right way, or wrong way, just your way. I am just pleased we have the ability to choose to use it or not.
Agreed.

For those who collect only certain titles and have less than 500 - 1000 titles total, compression just doesn't make sense, however some people don't have the resources for even that many so compression is a must. For me it's not an issue of have space in a case, it's an issue of trying to find someplace to put another file server in the house! Currently I have 20ish TB of games, 2900 of the 3874 PS2 titles alone, add in the very near 1 PD of movies and tv shows and my basement start getting cramped. I also tend collect complete collections, though I may never play/watch them all, I want them all, and want them ready to play/watch at a moments notice.

Pinky said For those who collect only certain titles and have less than 500 - 1000 titles total, compression just doesn't make sense, however some people don't have the resources for even that many so compression is a must. For me it's not an issue of have space in a case, it's an issue of trying to find someplace to put another file server in the house! Currently I have 20ish TB of games, 2900 of the 3874 PS2 titles alone, add in the very near 1 PD of movies and tv shows and my basement start getting cramped. I also tend collect complete collections, though I may never play/watch them all, I want them all, and want them ready to play/watch at a moments notice.
I know exactly what you mean, I love having complete collections, even if I know I will probably never play them. That is an amazing collection you have, puts my 10TB of videos and 6TB of retro games to shame. Will give me a great argument for when the wife complains about another hard drive purchase though! "No honey, I do not have a problem, you should see the collection @Pinky has on the LaunchBox forum, mine is small in comparison!" Laugh

I have a lot, but it's split between a lot of stuff. Video Production, Movies / TV, Emulation, Steam stuff, then everything else. I have to scale back my shows though every so often because I can't afford just buying more storage. Not to mention, ideally you want to buy two each time. One for storage, one for backup. I've got almost backups. xD

My wife is the film collector, thought I do help her on it, we've been collecting stuff for over 40 years now. Our kids claim we have a collection compitition going, she's winning by a landslide! We have a 2-level underground bunker where we store the originals, it started out as our storm shelter. My big task now is getting things changed over to Launch Box, I used to run Hyperspin, but it's such bloatware and finicky, I must say after testing out all the front-ends over the years LB works the best, specially when combined with Retroarch.

ALIE said anyone who has gasmes in Gzip. hearing good things
I tried GZip for my PS2 games, and they worked fine. It takes ages to compress them, even on a fast machine and the first time you play them it takes a long time as PCX2 creates an index file on the initial play. I ended up going with CSO though, much quicker and easier to create and plays a bit quicker too.

I did GZIP for PS2 as well and WBFS for Dolphin. WBFS is great because it works on both Dolphin and an actual Wii with no performance effects and basically just gets rid of crap data. Use PIGZ for PS2 to improve your compression time immensely! http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/pigz-for-windows.html GZIP for PS2 took ages but is worth it as well, the other big thing I recommend is make sure you're drives are defragged. My Gzips were choppy until I did that. But then again my drive was heavily fragmented after unzipping, compressing, and deleting the huge ISO files overtime. :) Like 80%... took about 2 weeks to defragment haha but it's all done now.