LaunchBox Community Forums

Question for users who has big games compressed.

ALIE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I5, internal SATA seagate 2 terabytes, 16 gigs of ram.... Anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. I've never actually counted to be honest. I have a fade screen that shows a loading screen and zip progress bar so its cool for me rather than annoying. I was reading somewhere that theres a way you can turn excess ram into a temp storage for decompressed roms, and this may speed it up, and might even speed up emulation, but I personally don't think I need that.

fromlostdays said I5, internal SATA seagate 2 terabytes, 16 gigs of ram.... Anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. I've never actually counted to be honest. I have a fade screen that shows a loading screen and zip progress bar so its cool for me rather than annoying. I was reading somewhere that theres a way you can turn excess ram into a temp storage for decompressed roms, and this may speed it up, and might even speed up emulation, but I personally don't think I need that.
It's actually pretty cool software, but you need a really good amount of RAM before you attempt something like that. http://store.steampowered.com/app/337070/ It also depends on the size of the game, if you try to un-archive a 6GB game with 4GB of RAM, or even 8GB, it wont work all that well. If you want to save space (comparable to an archive) @ALIE I would honestly suggest using several custom compressed formats. PS2 games can be compressed from ISO to CSO with software called MaxCSO, written by PCSX2 devs. I compressed all my games and they run just fine in a smaller package. PSP games can also be compressed from ISO to CSO's but there is software called YACC (Yet Another CSO Compressor) that is different then MaxCSO as it only does images smaller than 4GB and you can do all of your games at once. Just note there are games you shouldn't compress as the game wont function properly, but in the case of the PSP I only found that to be true for the 3 GTA games, everything else ran fine. You can also try WBFS for Wii games as well. I don't remember if GCM is a compression for Gamecube games... but you can look that up easily. If there is no compression for any later console discs (like potentially the Gamecube) you can also try specific console junk removers. It removes empty or junk data from the disc. The tool needs to be written for the specific system though, and only from PS2 / Gamecube on wards I believe.

Yep. For small games archiving them you're not gonna save a ton of space. Well you might save a few hundred MB if you archived an entire collection of SNES games, but compressing those bigger games is the big pay off and archiving those is a pain in the ass. CSOing all of them is also a pain in the ass, it took a few days to CSO over 350 PS2 games. I just put iso in the title of maxcso so it was maxcso iso.exe and just used the Windows search to find 'iso'. I then drag and dropped the iso's on to the exe and deleted them when they were done. You can also do multiples. It takes some time, but it's a better system then raring and zipping. I actually made a thread about it: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/ps2-compressed-all-my-games-as-csos-378-games-669gb

SentaiBrad said
fromlostdays said I5, internal SATA seagate 2 terabytes, 16 gigs of ram.... Anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. I've never actually counted to be honest. I have a fade screen that shows a loading screen and zip progress bar so its cool for me rather than annoying. I was reading somewhere that theres a way you can turn excess ram into a temp storage for decompressed roms, and this may speed it up, and might even speed up emulation, but I personally don't think I need that.
It's actually pretty cool software, but you need a really good amount of RAM before you attempt something like that. http://store.steampowered.com/app/337070/ It also depends on the size of the game, if you try to un-archive a 6GB game with 4GB of RAM, or even 8GB, it wont work all that well. If you want to save space (comparable to an archive) @ALIE I would honestly suggest using several custom compressed formats. PS2 games can be compressed from ISO to CSO with software called MaxCSO, written by PCSX2 devs. I compressed all my games and they run just fine in a smaller package. PSP games can also be compressed from ISO to CSO's but there is software called YACC (Yet Another CSO Compressor) that is different then MaxCSO as it only does images smaller than 4GB and you can do all of your games at once. Just note there are games you shouldn't compress as the game wont function properly, but in the case of the PSP I only found that to be true for the 3 GTA games, everything else ran fine. You can also try WBFS for Wii games as well. I don't remember if GCM is a compression for Gamecube games... but you can look that up easily. If there is no compression for any later console discs (like potentially the Gamecube) you can also try specific console junk removers. It removes empty or junk data from the disc. The tool needs to be written for the specific system though, and only from PS2 / GameCube on wards I believe.
The Dolphin emulator has a built in compressor for both GameCube and Wii isos, which does not seem to cause any slowdown in loading. Just load the games scan your iso folder into the Dolphin window and then the right click menu for each game will give you the compress option. Removing the junk data will save a large amount off space for GameCube and Wii games, but it can cause some games to no longer work. Nintendo used it as some sort of copy protection on some games so if it in not there the game will crash.

I have all my smaller games compressed, but as Brad says this saves only a small amount. I do this mainly because it is the way that CLRMame formats the roms when checking them, and Retroarch and most other emulators work fine with zip files without having to extract them first. The files are so small that there is no noticeable slowdown in loading. For larger files I try to use the most efficient form of compression, so it is CSO for PS2 and PSP, Dolphins compressor for Wii and Gamecube. For other disc based systems like PSX, Jaguar CD, 3DO, Sega CD and Dreamcast that don't have a dedicated compression format I use 7Zip to compress the required files and have LaunchBox extract on running. This does add a little bit of time to the loading, but it saves an enormous amount of space, and these are systems that I do not play very regularly so it is not that noticeable.

Something I've used since before these fancy front-ends came around is Pismo File Mount. It works with ANY file type and opens game iso's in less than a second. It will compress files with zip or lzma, (7zips format), it's also free! An example, 3DO Blonde Justice, uncompressed 538 MB, pismo compression 184 MB and plays perfect. This game is mostly video clips and video doesn't compress well regardless of the app used. I use it for all my cd/dvd images and mame's huge chd files.

Pinky said Something I've used since before these fancy front-ends came around is Pismo File Mount. It works with ANY file type and opens game iso's in less than a second. It will compress files with zip or lzma, (7zips format), it's also free! An example, 3DO Blonde Justice, uncompressed 538 MB, pismo compression 184 MB and plays perfect. This game is mostly video clips and video doesn't compress well regardless of the app used. I use it for all my cd/dvd images and mame's huge chd files.
Looks interesting, I will have to look at this one, never heard of it before.

DOS76 said @CADScott you mention Jaguar CD what are you using to emulate those from my understanding they don't work in Virtual Jaguar (which I would assume also means that the RA core doesn't support them either).
Sorry Derek, I actually haven't got these to work reliably in an emulator yet. I have tried Tempest, MESS and Jagulator and could not get any of them to work well. I have been meaning to get this working so I will get back onto that one and see if anything has changed since I last looked at it.

PT like the other Jaguar CD emu's never got finished, out of all the jag cd's I can get it to run 4 of them, but they run at a snails pace and are not playable. PT is the only emu that will even attempt to run them and since they have to be a .cdi image it makes it harder. It's best to either play the cart versions or play them on another system.

ok another couple of questions #1 i downloaded maxcso its a single program/file and i drag the game onto it. but is there settings for it i dont see? or a newer version with settings? just wanna be sure i am using the right software. i got about 1200 ps2 games dont wanna break them.. #2 can i convert them back for use with a modded ps2 later?