LaunchBox Community Forums

PS2 ISO compression GZ how to compress multiple files ?

ALIE

so originally i was gonna go with CSO´s but i read that Gzip was supposedly gonna save much more space. so now i have to questions Nr1- my test game 007 - Agent Under Fire was 1.592.096=orginale ISO 1.412.947=CSO 1.364.982=Gzip with ultra compression done with 7zip. that doesn't seem like a significant change especially the Gzip. am i doing something wrong?, wrong settings,wrong program?, Secondly if going with gzip can anyone explain how to batch convert multiples files so it could run over night. Confused

I had read that it wasn't a huge jump personally. You will still also have to decompress these files when you want to play them and since they're compressed on Ultra it will take quite a while to boot the game depending on where they are located. CSO's don't need to be decompressed. CSOing can break a game though, I've found only 2 game so far that don't work well like this. As far as Batch compression or if you are doing it right, I wouldn't imagine anything past default Ultra would be needed and I don't know about Batch compression. It's also worth noting that some games may give you a better savings in space than others, it just depends on the game.
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Interesting...to your knowledge, will GZ (using -9 max setting) compressing PS2 games break any?  It takes 15-60sec the first time you launch a game in PCSX2 with this method, but creates  small (in the MB) temp file in the game directory for future launches to be near instant....I'm just starting to migrate my PS2 collection over to this format, and hoping this is reliable and won't break any game...Anyone have experiencing using this format?

Thanks!

-Brett

Edited by cleverest

I have written a script for Gzip batch conversion, which may be useful for someone.

File Structure (you can of course edit the script to match your own file structure):

1. All ISOs must be in seperate subfolders (only one ISO per subfolder).
  2. The gz file will get the name from the folder name
  3. Examples:
  • "God of War II (USA)\God of War II (USA).iso" -> "God of War II (USA)\God of War II (USA).gz"
  • "God of War II (USA)\image.iso" -> "God of War II (USA)\God of War II (USA).gz"

Usage:

1. Put gz.bat and 7z.exe (from 7-zip) in the folder where you have your ISOs in subfolders.
  2. Run gz.bat

Comments:

• The script will delete the original ISOs. You can remove "-sdel" to keep the ISOs.
  • If you want to have the highest compression level, change "-mx7" to "-mx9". (compression level 9 compared to level 7 seems to make very little difference on file size)
  • If you add new ISOs, you can just run the script again (if original ISOs is deleted with "-sdel")

gz.bat

Edited by Norfair
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Stumbled on this trying to convert PS2 to gz. So I haven't extracted the ps2 set which is going to take forever. I'm just wondering if there isn't a way to convert straight from 7z to gz without extracting?

Thanks! 

I don't think there is a way to convert directly from 7z to gz, but maybe you can edit my script to do the whole process. 

This process takes a long time when you have a lot of data. 

If you want to use my script as it is, extract the ISOs into separate folders.

I appreciate the script, and I'm in the process of extracting. I may leave them as is... (iso) as it took almost two hours to compress one game (6 gig madden game mind you) but if I fill up this drive the script will come in handy. I'll just have to not touch my computer for a week, haha. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2016-12-03 at 8:54 AM, Norfair said:

I have written a script for Gzip batch conversion, which may be useful for someone.

File Structure (you can of course edit the script to match your own file structure):

1. All ISOs must be in seperate subfolders (only one ISO per subfolder).
  2. The gz file will get the name from the folder name
  3. Examples:
  • "God of War II (USA)\God of War II (USA).iso" -> "God of War II (USA)\God of War II (USA).gz"
  • "God of War II (USA)\image.iso" -> "God of War II (USA)\God of War II (USA).gz"

Usage:

1. Put gz.bat and 7z.exe (from 7-zip) in the folder where you have your ISOs in subfolders.
  2. Run gz.bat

Comments:

• The script will delete the original ISOs. You can remove "-sdel" to keep the ISOs.
  • If you want to have the highest compression level, change "-mx7" to "-mx9". (compression level 9 compared to level 7 seems to make very little difference on file size)
  • If you add new ISOs, you can just run the script again (if original ISOs is deleted with "-sdel")

gz.bat

I've attached an updated script if you want to convert from 7z to gz.

Warning: Use at your own risk. The 7z source files will be deleted

Description:

The script batch converts ISO files from 7z to gz compression. There must be one ISO file inside each 7z file. The ISO file must have the same file name as the 7z file (excluding file extension). 
The 7z and the ISO will be deleted in the process. The script should quit if there is something wrong when unpacking the 7z.

Usage:

1. Put 7z_to_gz.bat and 7z.exe (from 7-zip) in the folder where you have your 7z files (no subfolders).
  2. Run 7z_to_gz.bat

7z_to_gz.bat

Edited by Norfair
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 3:50 PM, cleverest said:

Interesting...to your knowledge, will GZ (using -9 max setting) compressing PS2 games break any?  It takes 15-60sec the first time you launch a game in PCSX2 with this method, but creates  small (in the MB) temp file in the game directory for future launches to be near instant....I'm just starting to migrate my PS2 collection over to this format, and hoping this is reliable and won't break any game...Anyone have experiencing using this format?

Thanks!

-Brett

I am having issues loading 007 from Russia with love in gz. It crashes on one of the intro credits. The Metro Goldwyn Mayer lion and goes no further.

Can you guys list the games that are not working for you in this format?

I also have checked the first time you load gz games in pcsx2 it takes a little longer. Wondering if the tmp files that are created within the game directory are meant to be cache files for this purpose...

does anybody know?

I am always using isocompressor to convert files to cso.

Are you sure that from Russia with loves works uncompressed abut not in gz format? I do not see that phenomenon with any of my games.

And yes, the delay during the first time start of a gz file is due to the creation of the tmp file, which from then on works as an index to speed up file access as far as I understand.

Edited by Wutex
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wutex said:

I am always using isocompressor to convert files to cso.

Are you sure that from Russia with loves works uncompressed abut not in gz format? I do not see that phenomenon with any of my games.

And yes, the delay during the first time start of a gz file is due to the creation of the tmp file, which from then on works as an index to speed up file access as far as I understand.

Thanks for your comment mate!

Will try that out from the original ISO file. Maybe it is corrupted.

Should I ask what is the pipeline you use to compress the smaller PS2 games that came in CUE+BIN cds?

I can get them to ISO with UltraISO but not working when converting to GZ. Maybe i am missing something out there