LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - Include alternate titles - Issue #???

Bedwyr

Ok, so I just got PS1 imported into the system and noticed something. The database lists this game's title as "Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen". However EmuMovies lists the title as "Ogre Battle: Limited Edition", using the Hyperspin naming convention. If you import with the former, correct imagery will be found but video will not be found. If you import with the latter, no imagery will be found, but the video will be found. Unless you want to do further heuristics in the database, I would suggest being able to add either alternate title fields or search tags that can accommodate the alternate title.

Well in this case, the name of the game is Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. We do have a plan for alternate names and dates for different regions, but the only Alternate I would say would be viable is the Japanese name. I've never actually seen this game referenced as that actually.

Ok, I see the image now. I don't know how I missed that. Then maybe we have it wrong? That's possible too. I mean technically... we both have it wrong. The title should be all of that on the box art. We have part, they have the other part? :P

Yeah, I mean, it's just that neither are wrong either. I'd say "March of the Black Queen" is a more accurate description of the title, but the Hyperspin database decreed long ago that "Limited Edition (USA)" was the subtitle. I'd personally prefer 'Black Queen' (and not just because I adore Freddy Mercury's singing), but because both the EmuMovies and the Hyperspin FTP sites and probably others hew to the Hyperspin convention, I would propose that LB and its database acknowledge that reality. Otherwise you're going to have occasional continuing "misses" happening. It took me a couple import tries before I figured out what went wrong. Dunno. This is kind of arcane video game etymology.

• 4 weeks later...
SentaiBrad said Well in this case, the name of the game is Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. We do have a plan for alternate names and dates for different regions, but the only Alternate I would say would be viable is the Japanese name. I've never actually seen this game referenced as that actually.
I'm always naming japanese games with their japanese romanji adaptation, but i thing that at least, the japanese games that have a fantranslation available and are available in full english with and adapted english title must have this one as an alternate name, to clearly look to this games that are unnoficial western games and that in many cases have custom us covers also.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, dingodan said:

Just the backend? Both the GUI and the XML are showing only a single title field. I guess I could add it as a custom field, but the value of it for me would be using it during scrapes. 

Only in the Games database. I don't know if it's going to be in the XM or in the GUI you have to ask @Jason Carr or @SentaiBrad for that

• Vlansix changed the title to Resolved - Include alternate titles - Issue #???