LaunchBox Community Forums

Should I go with an SSD or an HDD for my build?

Tatts4Life

Ok I think I get what you're talking about now Brad. With that video that was how my copy of oblivion would be after loading a bunch of mods. It would take a good 40 seconds to 1 minute to load the game the first time or when going into other areas some times. Oh and back to why I was looking at a 1tb ssd for my games was because I had two large copies of modded oblivion and a clean copy AND a clean copy along with another that I had a mod that would change oblivion into another game called Nehrim. So I have probably 4 copies of the game and use another program to switch between them when ever I wanted to play a certain version of the game.

All 4 of those copies would still be smaller or around the same size as Vanilla Fallout 4, it just depends on the mods you're playing with. I would still feel comfortable putting those 4 copies, a modded F3, New Vegas, F4 and Skyrim on a 250GB. Like I said it depends on the amount and type of mods, but all of that could easily fit. What you're looking at essentially is Price Per GB, the 1TB's aren't too terribly cost effective yet and you want to go with a decent company. Intel, Samsung, SanDisk, Crucial. Stay away from PNY, but the first 4 are good brands and you might pay a little more for them, but they are certainly worth it.

I have almost all SanDisk they don't seem to ever have any issues I have a mSATA Samsung which is also rock solid plus Samsung is usually just good quality period TV's, phone (I've never messed with their PC's but those other two things are top notch)

I actually just posted about our Galaxy S4 in the DSR Nvidia thread, that thing was great, except it was hotter than it should have been sometimes and then the screen just stopped working one day. Oh, and I forgot to mention in the other thread that the battery expanded to twice its size and popped out the screen. xD I really do legitimately hear nothing but good from their SSD's and TV's though.

Yeah sounds like maybe your phone had an issue that's why it was getting so hot and warping the battery both of my brothers have had a few of there phones all the way through their two year contracts and they still were working when they upgraded me personally I'm a HTC guy when it comes to my phone but if Asus were to come to the US market with a Verizon phone I'd jump all over that they have an awesome unbranded unlocked new ZenFone coming out at the end of the month but I'm a little weary of buying a phone that my provider isn't involved in not that it might not work but it could potentially be an unwanted headache if it didn't I belive it is coming with 4GB of RAM I'd love to try out Saturn.emu and Reicast on that bad boy.

I didn't read the entire thread, but if it wasn't said already, you should always use an SSD for the system installation and an HDD for your favorite programs and games. This way, you system stays fast and if you need to reinstall windows for whatever reason, you can do it without wasting time with transporting data/losing data.

We're suggesting SSD for the OS, and another SSD for slow loading games like a heavily modded Oblivion, Fallout 4 etc and a regular HDD for just storage. My philosophy is to keep games off of of the OS drive, hence the two SSD's. Derek's suggestion is that since its an SSD, it might not matter and the games may run better anyways. We're both in agreeance that SSD for the OS all the way and the second drive you choose is subjective. SSD, HDD or SSHD.

• 4 years later...

Since I made this thread I ended up with a build that put my OS on an SSD and have a 4TB HDD for all my games. My LB library is huge now, something like 1.5-1.6tb's and 700+gb's is because of PS2 games alone. I recently got a new computer for VR games and the case is such crap that when my LB library first loads the HDD sounds like a wood chipper. If I remove the drive from the case it's a lot quieter but still noticeable noise since it's loading the library. I wanted to use the 1TB drive I mentioned in an earlier post that I still have but like I said my LB library is almost 2TB's now and that doesn't even include my Steam and Oculus library that's not even fully loaded on this new computer yet. I guess I just need to figure out what I want on which drive at this point.