LaunchBox Community Forums

Simply Austin LaunchBox video !

newyears1978

DOS76 said Awesome review even though some of his facts are a little off like the license isn't forever anymore and I believe that your artwork and videos do need to be named exactly according to the title that LaunchBox is using in order to be recognized.
Wait what, the license isn't forever? Oh I see now it is only good for 1 year of updates. What about premium does that also expire after a year? I didn't know that or I likely wouldn't have purchased to be honest.

Thank you for notifying me of this @NewYears1978, that's really great. I'll be doing a giveaway with him soon. @DOS76 the artwork and videos don't need to be named exactly the same, there is logic to handle slightly different titles, but it's not overly advanced at this point. @NewYears1978 since November 1st, upgrades are only included for one year. I updated the site with ample time in advance of that. Anyone who purchased before that date is grandfathered and will continue to receive updates forever. Keep in mind that you will be able to *use* your license forever, regardless. It's only updates that are restricted. It's certainly not a fun change to make, but I consulted with my business guys and it's become clear that if LaunchBox wants to stick around for a long time, it's a necessary change. I will be adding an option soon to "upgrade" to a forever license for $30, or purchase a brand new forever license for $50. In addition, you'll be able to renew for an additional year for $10 when the upgrades are up.

License is for premium version only. There was talk of a life time license recently but it will be more expensive if it is implemented. Even if you don't pay to have additional updates after a year LaunchBox is definitely worth the 20 dollars to have. Remember Jason puts a lot of time and effort into this project time that he deserves to be compensated for. I don't have any issues paying for good software that's why I have a life time PlexPass that I paid $150 dollars for and paid for 8 years of Subsonic at 12 dollars a year. Basically for less than a twenty oz bottle of Pepsi a month you can have LaunchBox with all the latest addon and upgrades every year and help out a developer who for all intents and purposes is a helpful considerate family man who has a passion for developing his software and bringing the world the awesomeness that is LaunchBox. I don't know how he does it because some of the things that people type on here would have me going ballistic in the comment sections if they were writing them to me. The unrealistic sense of entitlement people think they deserve for $20 is borderline insane sometimes.

I've developed skins and Mods for games in the past and I know what you mean about entitlement. I hope *I* didn't come off that way. I supported the project because I wanted to. From my perspective though, it would be quite frustrating if all the features I wanted most get implemented, after my license is already up. I too am a family man, in fact I have three teenage daughters so you want to talk about broke? I own a business that is failing and because I have done it for 25 years since I was in high school, finding another job making enough just to pay bills is impossible. So you want to talk about $20, which to many is not much, to me is actually quite a big deal. So when you then talk about another $50 down the road, to get the updates that I look forward to (assuming they are implemented of course, like customization for Big Box for instance) then it becomes a bigger deal, which has nothing to do with entitlement at all :( I of course support the project and the ease of use LaunchBox has compared to any other launcher is mind blowing. As you mention Jason spends a ton of time on it and deserves compensation. I don't know if any other launcher like RetroRE, Hyperspin, GameEx or any of those charged any fees ever...not to my knowledge but they probably should due to the shear magnitude or work that goes into them. So yeah, my comments may have been judged incorrectly..if so I apologize..but often you have to take a step back and view things from both sides ya know? My point about not buying if I had known about the 1 year updates, is that I would rather have waited til the features I wanted were implemented and THEN paid for it, rather than have to pay multiple times money I don't have. Here's to a bright future for LaunchBox I hope it booms and grows and becomes one of the best launchers. Wink

For another $30 you will be able to convert your existing license to lifetime or for $10 dollars you will be able to renew you subscription each year. As to other front ends charging I know at least GameEx has a registered version and Maximus Arcade (although not mentioned) charges also.

If you bought it simply on this guys recommendation based on false information then quite honestly your issue is with him. He had the dollar amount right but assumed lifetime. So it's not like he didn't or couldn't have found the right information. So on behalf of Jason I do apologize if this happened. I personally didn't think you sounded entitled, you sounded like someone who got the wrong information. I know the site has been updated, like Jason said, since November 1st and the forums talked about it before hand. You're frustrated, which is totally fine. Trying to find light in this annoying situation (not you) is that there is an upgrade or renewal offer instead of just a flat $20 a year. My Wife and I are broke too, so I get it. Thankfully Jason has finally hired me and I am getting freelance work.

Jason Carr said Thank you Gazoo! By wheel art do you mean logos like in the wheel in Hyperspin?
Yes, similar to that. It doesn't fit all interfaces but I really like the effort which has been put in place supporting it, albeit incomplete on some systems.

WheelArt full sets are only at Hyperspin's FTP, correct? They couldn't be pulled off EmuMovies IIRC. I'd gathered you'd added some kind of EmuMovies support in beta and the fleeting thought of another art source occurred to me, but Hyperspin's server is a separate donation thingy.

Bedwyr said WheelArt full sets are only at Hyperspin's FTP, correct? They couldn't be pulled off EmuMovies IIRC. I'd gathered you'd added some kind of EmuMovies support in beta and the fleeting thought of another art source occurred to me, but Hyperspin's server is a separate donation thingy.
GamesDB has clear art for games just like Jason listed. IE:http://thegamesdb.net/game/136 Regardless, even if we need to provide our own packs or clear art sources that would be really nice.