LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame not starting titles

kedhrin

hello i cant get mame to launch from launchbox properly. it works fine in the mameuifx and with a command line the roms are in the 'roms' subfolder of the root directory of mame some of these roms i have are doing weird things with the cmd saying files are missing and the like lets take burger time - if i try to open burgertime in mameuifx it lists "burger time (midway)" simply double clicking it fires it up with no issues what so ever. now if i open cmd and type 'mame64.exe burgertime' it lists potential names for it, typing 'mame64.exe btimem' launches it no problem. in launch box there is only one entry for burger time found for me and it says 'burger time (Data east set 1)' launching it does nothing - using the cmd for burgertime i saw the potential name for the 'data east set 1' and entered that "btime" and it spits out this in the cmd window: d:\MAME>mame64.exe btime aa04.9b NOT FOUND (tried in btime btime) aa06.13b NOT FOUND (tried in btime btime) aa05.10b NOT FOUND (tried in btime btime) aa07.15b NOT FOUND (tried in btime btime) aa12.7k NOT FOUND (tried in btime btime) aa8.13k NOT FOUND (tried in btime btime) FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run. so i'm ASSUMING that launchbox found the burger time rom but is trying to launch it with a filename that doesn't match what i have exactly.... now i'm just using burgertime as one example, not a single rom is working and unfortunately the cmd window closes too fast for me to see what the error message is - but i'm only assuming that its all pretty much the same. any help would be appreciated, so close to having this mame arcade setup in my living room :)

Hi kedhrin, what ROM file have you specified in LaunchBox for the game? If btimem is the command that works, you'll need to change the ROM file in LaunchBox to be the btimem file instead of the btime file. That said, if nothing is working, then it sounds like there's something else going on. Hard to poinpoint that though without a deeper look at your setup. Feel free to screenshot us your configuration so we can review.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi kedhrin Regarding the specific Burger Time game issue. Burger Time (Data East Set 1) is the parent game. It has a number of clones one of which is Burger Time (Midway). The 6 elements you list as missing are all part of the parent rom btime.zip The Midway clone rom is btimem.zip. If you want to run btimem.zip then btime.zip must also be present in Mame's roms directory.

I think I might have encountered a similar problem last night when I was trying to set up some CPS-1 games using FBA. I was doing a test and just imported a bunch of them to see if things were working (also running Rocketlauncher in the background so problems might be there as well, I need to investigate). While some games worked fine, when I tried to launch 1942 it just opens FBA with the blank screen, but to lanch the game in FBA I have to select the one called 1942r1 which is a clone of 1942 I believe. The problem is that there is no 1942r1.zip file, it seems this version is somehow emebeded in the 1942 zip file? But when clicking play on it in LB it just sends the command to boot 1942.zip which on it's own doesn't work (it has a circle with red line on it in FBA as well). I tried to experiment with the command line to make it send instructions to launch it using 1942r1, but no luck. Tonight I might try and remove RocketLauncher from it and see if I can get it working directly through LB first, or my other plan it to get MAME and see if I can get it working there, but it sounds like similar issues are there. :/ I'm kind of a newbie to the arcade emulation (only really done NeoGeo games before in FBA) so not sure if I'm doing things right.

BOOYA! Got it. The UI wasn't updating the ROM path for some reason...... The fix was to go into the MAME folder (mameuifx64 for me) and manually edit the mame.ini in wordpad to input the correct rom path. Not sure why the MAMEUIFX64 UI isn't working right all of a sudden. It never gave me issues before. That's certainly not a Launchbox problem, so I'll just say to anyone else having problems to check that .ini before you go any further.Smile EDIT: I had a similar issue getting the trackball enabled. The settings were not being passed from the UI to the .ini and had to be manually edited.

• 6 months later...
flylear45 said BOOYA! Got it. The UI wasn't updating the ROM path for some reason...... The fix was to go into the MAME folder (mameuifx64 for me) and manually edit the mame.ini in wordpad to input the correct rom path.
You sir, deserve a medal. I've been trying to solve this issue and never thought of looking at the mame.ini. It has solved all my issues, you have my eternal gratitude! (I registered here just to say thanks, that's how happy I am SmileLaugh)

Kedhrin or someone that has done this could you please upload a screenshot of the Specific .ini file so us noobs that have this same issue know exactly what was changed in the directory path. There are (2) .ini files in main Dir. Mameui64 & another in the .ini folder but none of them reference a roms folder. Need some help guys - Getting a bit frustrated here.Confused thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, I just bought this wonderful piece of software today and i am having the same issue that kedhrin and ssmoker has described and cannot find the right .ini file in my mame 163 folder to edit (i tried the last version 176b_64bit too) . The games are working outside LB and were working before with HS so it much be a pointing error or something that i missed. I did the default import for Arcade games too. Can anyone give us a little help? Thank you from Portugal :)

The mame.ini file should be located in the mame folder itself, the same place as the mame executable. In that file there will be a line near the top (probably line 10) with the entry: rompath If there is nothing to the right of rompath mame will just default to the roms subfolder of Mame. Here you can add a path to a folder or even multiple folders with semi colon separating the paths. Here is my rompath for example: rompath "E:\Downloaded Games\Emulation\Roms\Mame Full;H:\Emulation\Roms\Atari 5200\" It has the path of my entire Mame rom set and my Atari 5200 roms. If you are using MameUI you can easily add rompaths using the UI but if you are using the command line version of Mame you may need to manually add these paths yourself. There may be a way to add folder paths using the built in UI that Mame has now in it but I have not tried it so I cannot say for certain that you can. If you have a fresh Mame you can and should generate an ini file as the first thing you do with a fresh Mame by using the good old DOS prompt. Navigate to your Mame folder and type in the following: mame64.exe -cc