LaunchBox Community Forums

How to update your MAME ROMset to a newer version with CLRmamepro

SentaiBrad

10 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

No probs, it's also worth noting that the files in a update pack will not work by themselves, it only contains new or altered files. This is why CLRmamepro is needed, it takes these files and adds them to the correct games while removing old or now unneeded files as well as often renaming some files or zips. By themselves the update packs are pretty much useless.

Good to know. But unfortunately I can't find these update packs at all. I currently have a complete 0.202+ROMs+CHDs+Samples set. I don't have the complete set installed on my MAME directory, only the games that I like and play often. All of the one's I like and play were working fine, without me updating them, up until the current 0.221 version and how I came across this thread. I guess I'll just stick with the previous 0.220 version which worked perfectly fine.

Edited by gh0stp1rate

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

No probs, it's also worth noting that the files in a update pack will not work by themselves, it only contains new or altered files. This is why CLRmamepro is needed, it takes these files and adds them to the correct games while removing old or now unneeded files as well as often renaming some files or zips. By themselves the update packs are pretty much useless.

After trying several other types of searches, I was able to find a resource for the update packs. Do I have to unpack them or just keep them zipped up like the roms?

51 minutes ago, gh0stp1rate said:

Would you happen to know if there were any updates/changes to the CHDs from 0.202 to 0.221? I want to try an avoid downloading a whole CHD set as much as possible.

I only have a small set of CHD's and they are from a 0.206 set. They still work as far as i know, not that i really ever play games that actually need the CHD very often.

there have been some changes to be honest the best way to update them is to get the newest set and just download the torrent from it to the same location as your old set. It will check what you have and just download what is missing from the current set.

8 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

there have been some changes to be honest the best way to update them is to get the newest set and just download the torrent from it to the same location as your old set. It will check what you have and just download what is missing from the current set.

So do the CHDs themselves every really get updated or are new one's just added for newly working roms?

CHDs are typically just one file so its not like a MAME rom with multiple parts that are subject to change. I have seen them add new CHDs for a game and then they change  one of the older CHDs name to have a o (old) at the end. They do add new games though usually just a few and sometimes not even every month. Most likely what you have would be fine as is but if you want to be completely up to date then my above suggestion still stands.

I'm not able to find any torrents at all for the latest set, only older versions that are older than what I currently have. The other resource I found for the update packs also have the latest CHD set, but they're in several .rar parts, so I'm going to probably just have to re-download them all again anyways.

Yes, I've previously had a complete 0.215 ROM+CHD+Sample Set which I originally got from archive.org and even had it on my favorites on my account over there. About a month ago, the drive where I was storing it in failed. So I went back to archive.org to go and re-download the torrent, but it was no longer there, not even listed on my favorites anymore. And as of yesterday while searching on there, the newest set was from 2016 (ROMs only). I found a complete 0.202 ROM+CHD+Sample Set at Arcade Punks site and that's what I have now.

8 minutes ago, gh0stp1rate said:

Yes, I've previously had a complete 0.215 ROM+CHD+Sample Set which I originally got from archive.org and even had it on my favorites on my account over there. About a month ago, the drive where I was storing it in failed. So I went back to archive.org to go and re-download the torrent, but it was no longer there, not even listed on my favorites anymore. And as of yesterday while searching on there, the newest set was from 2016 (ROMs only). I found a complete 0.202 ROM+CHD+Sample Set at Arcade Punks site and that's what I have now.

image.thumb.png.39dca32569552c8d0676bfa12640444e.pngBeen there since the 7th of April.

I find it crazy that it requires 30+ steps to update a MAME romset and it has to be done in order so 30+ steps times how many versions you are behind.  There has to be a better way.  That said I just ditched my 209 version and updated to 219, still a few versions behind but i'm not complaining at the moment.  I just wish there was an updater application that just downloaded the required roms and patched it in one click.  Honestly, I did a windiff between 209 and 219, there were a few new files, some differences, very few files removed, what's all the fuss of merging roms, just search with checksum and download what is new/different.

2 minutes ago, SteveT79 said:

what's all the fuss of merging roms

The update packs only contain new/changed files, they are not full games. For example if a file is changed for 1941, the 1941.zip file in the update pack only contains that one file, copy pasting that and overwriting when prompted will leave you with a non working roms as the original which also contained all the other needed files is now gone.