LaunchBox Community Forums

How to update your MAME ROMset to a newer version with CLRmamepro

SentaiBrad

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The update packs only contain new/changed files, they are not full games. For example if a file is changed for 1941, the 1941.zip file in the update pack only contains that one file, copy pasting that and overwriting when prompted will leave you with a non working roms as the original which also contained all the other needed files is now gone. 

But how much space are they really saving with these rom diffs vs just having the full rom?  Most of the roms changed were ~1MB in size.

• 6 months later...

I found what appears to be a reliable resource for update packs, but the filenames are given as, for example, "mame-0220." Does this mean it would take a 0.220 romset to 0.221, or would it take 0.219 to 0.220? (I'm assuming the latter but would like to clarify.)

Also, how do you make sense of all the different versions of an individual game? I'm assuming there's no easy answer to this, as it probably depends on the game. For example, there are three Double Dragon U.S. versions (Set 1, Set 2, and Set 3). Do these represent revisions, i.e. Set 3 would be the most recent and therefore "best" U.S. version to go with?

I've got a 0.220 split set and was planning on updating it to 0.226 (I think that's as high as the update packs go) with CMP, then using CMP to convert it to a non-merged set before running the popular "All Killer, No Filler" batch file to curate the set. I'll probably modify the batch file to specify U.S. versions (usually clones), as there will be no need to target parents for curation if the set is non-merged. Does this sound reasonable? I'm completely new to this and am not sure what I want to do is even possible. 

Maybe I should just simplify things for myself and use a 0.220 version of MAME without updating roms. I'm making myself crazy with all this. 

(EDIT: Sorry for going off on tangents unrelated to the thread topic. This was intended to just be a question about the update packs.)

Edited by Reggie10

On 1/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, Reggie10 said:

I found what appears to be a reliable resource for update packs, but the filenames are given as, for example, "mame-0220." Does this mean it would take a 0.220 romset to 0.221, or would it take 0.219 to 0.220? (I'm assuming the latter but would like to clarify.)

Your guess is as good as mine. I would also say that it should take a 0.219 set to 0.220 but with that imprecise name I have no idea what it actually contains.

Also, how do you make sense of all the different versions of an individual game? I'm assuming there's no easy answer to this, as it probably depends on the game. For example, there are three Double Dragon U.S. versions (Set 1, Set 2, and Set 3). Do these represent revisions, i.e. Set 3 would be the most recent and therefore "best" U.S. version to go with?

It's definitely individual for every game and I'm honestly not that firm with MAME's naming conventions for clones and revisions so I can't really help you with that.

I've got a 0.220 split set and was planning on updating it to 0.226 (I think that's as high as the update packs go) with CMP, then using CMP to convert it to a non-merged set before running the popular "All Killer, No Filler" batch file to curate the set. I'll probably modify the batch file to specify U.S. versions (usually clones), as there will be no need to target parents for curation if the set is non-merged. Does this sound reasonable? I'm completely new to this and am not sure what I want to do is even possible.

Yes, that would be the way to do it. One important note: You have to uncheck “Separate BIOS sets” in the advanced rebuilder options, otherwise your BIOS files won’t be included in the game .zip files.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm a complete noob with emulation, MAME, and soon to be a noob at clrmamepro. I have read this thread to try and get a hold on how to update a ROMset, but I still have some questions, and I'm also confused about some things as well. I have yet to actually download and use clrmamepro as I am currently on a Mac and have tried several times to get clrmamepro to work (as I have read several tutorials on the workaround for getting it up and running on a Mac but in practice, they have been to no avail). But I got Windows set up with Bootcamp now so I intend to do all the clrmamepro stuff on the Windows side and just copy the updated ROMset over to the Mac side. Anyways, rather than just dumping all the questions that I have, I just want to ask one major one and then I will attempt to walk myself through the update process using this tutorial. So the main question that I have is which MAME version do you want to have installed and be working with, the MAME that is compatible with the ROMset you have or the version of MAME in which you desire to have an updated ROMset for?

To clarify, here is my current situation: I am in the process of acquiring a MAME 0.220 ROMs (split) set, which states that it does not contain CHDs. Additionally, I'm unsure if this ROMset includes any Software List stuff, bios, devices or samples. Granted, I have a full MAME 0.228 set of bios, devices and samples, and I know where to find a supposed full set of MAME 0.227 CHDs, so I'm not too concerned about this 0.220 ROMset lacking those things. So since this set is for MAME 0.220, do I want to have a MAME 0.220 version installed or a MAME 0.228 version installed? Essentially, I'm wanting to update this 0.220 set to a 0.228 set. Also, on a side note, do I need to grab any DAT or XML files for MAME 0.220-0.228 or will the MAME that's installed have all that information already within it? Again, I'm very new at all this, and I'm not very tech savvy at all. So feel free to talk to me like you're explaining something to an idiot, cause that's pretty much what I am. I have some relative knowledge of MAME as I have used it very casually before only grabbing a few specific games and that's it. This is my first foray into actually acquiring and keeping and up-to-date FULL ROMset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And lastly, I'm very thankful for this community and all the time and help you have already provided to me in the past.

9 hours ago, arcadeknight said:

To clarify, here is my current situation: I am in the process of acquiring a MAME 0.220 ROMs (split) set, which states that it does not contain CHDs. Additionally, I'm unsure if this ROMset includes any Software List stuff, bios, devices or samples.

If it's a full set it should contain all arcade ROM, BIOS and device files you'll need. Samples are a separate thing and usually not part of a ROM set.

SoftwareLists are a different beast entirely and normally a separate download as well (even though all BIOS files you'll need for them are part of the 'normal' MAME set as well).

So since this set is for MAME 0.220, do I want to have a MAME 0.220 version installed or a MAME 0.228 version installed? Essentially, I'm wanting to update this 0.220 set to a 0.228 set.

The MAME version should always match your targeted ROM set. So if you want to update your ROMs to 0.228 you'll also need MAME 0.228.

Also, on a side note, do I need to grab any DAT or XML files for MAME 0.220-0.228 or will the MAME that's installed have all that information already within it?

You don't need any additional xml or dat files if you point clrmamepro to the correct mame.exe (in your case 0.228)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...