LaunchBox Community Forums

Premium Pirate

anyany

djweevil We understand that completely to be honest. Some people simply don't have an easy means to purchase online or they have been burned one too many times with promises and false hope. We understand any users trepidation before wanting to spend $20-$50 on something. That's why we've tried hard to prove our worth and show that we love this project and we're not here to "cash in", and trust me that's something people have told us before. "How dare you charge for this, it should be free!" In the end, we are glad you did decide to purchase LaunchBox and we are glad you are with us now.

I tried a pirate version to use all the features before I purchased a license. I would never have bought a license otherwise, as I hate to buy stuff that I don't know if I will like. So, worked out in Jason's favor in my case. *edit* I will add... new feature updates are the best DRM. If you keep rapid adding new features, many people will get tired of trying to hunt down an updated pirate version and just buy it. win-win

Ha, no question, if everyone who downloaded the free version of LaunchBox purchased the premium version I'd be pretty rich (and could definitely afford to hire some people). Sales are very good but it's still a very small percentage of people who choose to purchase.

It's the reason you got my money. If the free version was crippled and useless to me I would have just struggled along with some other front end. I tried out several and for one reason or another I just did not like any of them. I rarely even use Launchbox in BigBox mode so the free version is all that I really need but it is nice to have the BogBox mode there when I want to use it in that mode.

I remember conversations early on when Jason and I would talk about LaunchBox and one of the things we (or just him at the time) was worried about was making sure that even if all you wanted was the free version, you wouldn't feel pressured in to paying for Premium. When we make new features for LaunchBox, we pretty much as our selves if the new feature is a required feature. Is this something that needs to be there for basic functionality. Like if we charged for image scraping or something that would be agregious.

• 2 weeks later...
Jason Carr said Ha, no question, if everyone who downloaded the free version of LaunchBox purchased the premium version I'd be pretty rich (and could definitely afford to hire some people). Sales are very good but it's still a very small percentage of people who choose to purchase.
Really!? Just curious to know: how many downloads do you get a month?...and what's the percentage of people passing to the Premium version?

• 3 weeks later...
Jason Carr said Yes, there will be pirates. I've chosen not to cripple the software with DRM and just deal with them. I did take some extra measures in 5.8+ to help prevent people from cracking the software, but other than that I do not plan to wage war on the pirates. We continue to gain the respect of the community, pirates and non-pirates alike, by choosing a DRM-free approach, and many would-be pirates have actually purchased the software due to our decisions. That said, cancer is cancer, and pirates are pirates. However, I know better than to believe I can ever truly eliminate piracy, and I know better than to waste time trying to, all while pissing off paying customers due to crippled DRM-laden software. Thanks for the report though, @anyany. As far as I know, no one has cracked or released any version past 5.7.
I think 50$ very expensive for a forever license. I have the premium forever, but now, In Brazil it was probithive, because it cost 150-200 reais (20% of minimum salary of brazilians) You know if Brazilians and Russians are in the Top of the piracy. I think you can do a way of give us a new payment method, like Boa compra, or put launchbox on Steam (you will have more visibility and give us more payment method, because steam allow it) to parcel the licence! Steam fights against piracy giving us facilities and comfort to buy. Think about it!

I don't think Steam would allow us actually, because of our focus. GOG may not either, however sellers that offer regional pricing so someone doesn't have to pay extra is a really good idea to be honest, and it's something we've only kind of looked in to. It's very difficult to get it right.

• 2 weeks later...
Like what @morangolive? There was recently a lot of new features but a good mix between the two I think, of course ignoring any features on BigBox as those are always Premium only. Scrape As is one f the bigger features recently and it's for everyone. Possibly one of our biggest features recently. Image Priorities is Premium only, but you can still have it switch between 3D or 2D box art for a more simple version, but of course Image Priorities is a lot more powerful. So we do always strive really hard to make sure that what we offer for premium is premium and an enhancer, but the core LaunchBox experience is not hampered and core features still get added to the free portion. Is there something specifically that you feel we miscalculated on? I believe we struck a very good balance, but who knows.

I have been into Piracy since the 80s, But growing older there was a time when you see buying certain things pays off in the end and this is why I purchased Big Box I fully support a great product and it has very open dev work and what Jason does is amazing I stand by his work and everyone else who works on this project. Still to this day I still run my BBS system that has been part of the best underground groups in the world but when it's only $20 why would you steal it from someone such as Jason Carr.

• 1 month later...

Any chance i can get a discount on a premium key from an admin? Im a full time student who is also a single dad, so not much money to spend. i want to buy it so i can add the Big Box to Kodi so my kid can play it without getting into my computer and messing shit up, but the semester just started and the cost of books is a nightmare. Anyway i understand if you cant but it never hurts to ask right?