LaunchBox Community Forums

Premium Pirate

anyany

Yes, there will be pirates. I've chosen not to cripple the software with DRM and just deal with them. I did take some extra measures in 5.8+ to help prevent people from cracking the software, but other than that I do not plan to wage war on the pirates. We continue to gain the respect of the community, pirates and non-pirates alike, by choosing a DRM-free approach, and many would-be pirates have actually purchased the software due to our decisions. That said, cancer is cancer, and pirates are pirates. However, I know better than to believe I can ever truly eliminate piracy, and I know better than to waste time trying to, all while pissing off paying customers due to crippled DRM-laden software. Thanks for the report though, @anyany. As far as I know, no one has cracked or released any version past 5.7.
  • Like 2

That's the right approach to take Jason. CD Projekt Red and some other game devs out there have proven that DRM free is the way to go. Anti piracy schemes never prevent piracy and only piss off legit paying customers. Going full DRM free will gain the respect of people, no sense in wasting your time trying to prevent something you won't be able to. So far I love the approach you have taken with Launchbox. The free version is very feature rich and fully usable on it's own for a lot of people while the premium version just offers a couple more bonus features for convenience. I am normally a person that will go looking for the best free alternative over paid versions of software but Launchbox is so awesome I bought it and don't regret it one bit.
  • Like 1

By doesn't work I mean that GamesDB is constantly going down and you can only get our Database functionality, which will be better in the end, by upgrading then losing your Premium Status. Jason and I have had long conversations about this and the measures we did take are all that we are going to take when it comes to the software. We will still take action if we need to, and we have in the past, but we haven't really needed to since. We will protect our selves if we have to, but like Jason said we're not going to make our legitimate and amazing community, fan base, customers etc have to deal with decisions based on a very small percentage of people who choose to be jerks and we're in total agreement on this as well.
  • Like 1

Best Paid software I've ever got plus I got in pretty early so I basically stole it in the 1st place and then Jason very graciously hooked us up with gift cards for helping with the BigBox naming. So now I've been paid $10 to play with this insanely entertaining application. Jason do you have the ability to have donation sent over?

DOS76 said Best Paid software I've ever got plus I got in pretty early so I basically stole it in the 1st place and then Jason very graciously hooked us up with gift cards for helping with the BigBox naming. So now I've been paid $10 to play with this insanely entertaining application. Jason do you have the ability to have donation sent over?
You know, I've told him before that we should set that up. ;)

Being forthcoming.... I mean... really.... when I think of the amount of stuff I have to put in launchbox that I got for free.... and I compare that to the dollars I've spent... Lets put it this way, I've donated multiple times to RocketLauncher (every time a new feature that I love comes out) and I kept a month by month EmuMovies subscription so long that Circo himself was like "Dude, you've already paid well over a lifetime subscription, let me give it to you". I actually told him no, then bought one a while later. On flip side, one of the best parts about this hobby is the community of people who just like the same shit you like, and you get to ask for help and be helpful there. In summation, you should certainly accept donations, and I'm glad you're taking the stance you have on piracy.
  • Like 1

The donations through YouTube, or even Twitch Subscription's if Jason ever gets there (or any of my channels for that matter), and we've even discussed a Patreon at some point we just have no clue what to fill the Tiers with. All valuable avenues that don't require Paypal. We thought the Shirts and Store would be a great alternative. The users can support us more and you get some cool stuff out of it. We may revisit that though too because we've had some users express that the shirts on offer are not what they would be looking for. Either way @fromlostdays, we do appreciate the time you've spent with us.

Haha, I forgot actually be forthcoming: even factoring in my computer which I didn't buy for this purpose, expenditures aren't even a candle in the wind to the value of what I actually have both monetarily and personally. Anyway, I'm off of work all day and its making me sappy, haha. I haven't worn anything other than a black hanes T with a cheap button up over it in years. Google Wallet is a workable alternative for donation, but having said that, I think there's something to be said for .... advertising a bit on the forum with your users. So maybe if you buy a license you get a tag "Premium" or something under your name on the forum and your profile, and if you donate you get another tag like "Contributor" (although that might be misleading in terms of what was contributed. I think people who are on the fence or even just coming here for help with LaunchBox will see the people helping them with those tags, and it might make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Jason Carr said Yes, there will be pirates. I've chosen not to cripple the software with DRM and just deal with them. I did take some extra measures in 5.8+ to help prevent people from cracking the software, but other than that I do not plan to wage war on the pirates. We continue to gain the respect of the community, pirates and non-pirates alike, by choosing a DRM-free approach, and many would-be pirates have actually purchased the software due to our decisions. That said, cancer is cancer, and pirates are pirates. However, I know better than to believe I can ever truly eliminate piracy, and I know better than to waste time trying to, all while pissing off paying customers due to crippled DRM-laden software. Thanks for the report though, @anyany. As far as I know, no one has cracked or released any version past 5.7.
I'll be dead honest with you, I was using that same version until my brother was able to let me use his cred card. To get the full version.