LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox crashes constantly

DR9

No matter which version of BigBox I have used they all crash. Windows 7 Clean Install Clean drivers DirectX installed Cry When I load BigBox it's fine but when I "Enter" a platform/system to view the games it crashes (pic attached). Anyone have ideas? This is ruining my experience :( Capture.PNG

Hi @DR9, unfortunately my best guess is that there's something corrupted either with the .NET framework on your system or Windows itself. I found this thread which doesn't have a solution but suggests that it's a corrupted DLL in Windows: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-winapps/appcrash-ntdlldll-exception-code-c0000005-visual/990565e5-a719-4165-b87a-63dd00ab8756?auth=1 I'm not 100% that that's the problem but that's what my initial searches landed on. Unfortunately I haven't had that error reported to me from anybody else so it does seem like it is specific to your system, though there's always a first for everything, so I can't say for certain. I would start by trying to reinstall the .NET framework 4.5 and then perhaps trying to repair Windows if that doesn't fix anything.

Okay, thanks, keep me updated. It would be best to test with the 5.8 official first since it's been proven to work fine by the community for a while. The only thing I can think of other than what I mentioned above is some sort of weird driver conflict, but that would be odd considering the NTDLL error.

OK so, I cant update 4.5 .NET since I have .NET 4.6.1 installed but I repaired that version and updated to official 5.9 release. Samething here is a screenshot of it further info. As before once I enter say my Capcom list and I hit down on the keyboard or controller I get this error, LaunchBox non BB works fine I can scroll around pick this and launch but that is not ideal on a couch and my old eyes. Capture-1.PNG

ok so here is what I did, really sucks I can get it working on the HTPC PC here Asus z97 gene / Geforce 960 I reformatted and reinstalled windows again with eh bare min of utils/drivers/libs etc. I ran Bigbox and no crash! I went to play mame, then some FM Towns, then Saturn, back to capcom games, then shooters and then I went into the Naomi list and I started GigaWing 2 and I got this new error which points to VLC which I have 2.2.2 on the PC. Capture-2.PNG Now I get this :( I'm about to buy all new hardware. I have zero problems on my main PC (Asus formula z97, GF770)

I switched to WMV video and things seems to working fine, no crashes yet but VLC was better in that now I'm using WMV when I launch a game with a preview video that video continues to play as the game launches and in the background so basically unusable. I will do more testing to see if I can force it to crash. Edit: Same VLCcore crash as above when I went back to GigaWing 2 i Naomi. Ugh.

You're seeing the WMP videos continue playing after launching a game? Ugh, that was fixed eons ago. I haven't heard about anyone having that issue in a very long time. Puzzling. Man, this whole thread is baffling lol. I have no idea why you're hitting so many issues with that hardware, especially after reinstalling Windows and everything. My only thought is it could be that you have some bad RAM that just causing random issues all over the place. I'm not really a hardware guy but if you're seeing a bunch of random stability issues, my first guess would be bad RAM. Maybe try downloading a Linux ram checker bootdisk?

Every time I try to navigate through BigBox with my 360 controller the program crashes it works fine while I am using the keyboard but once I switch to controller its all over with. It is the only controller connected to the computer that is on.

Crash is only in BigBox Settings are exactly the same. I do not use the HotKeys as it causes both programs to stop working with an error message that repeatedly keeps opening over and over again until I need to use Task Manager to end the process.