LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox crashes constantly

DR9

Big Box crashing is new. The issue with the AHK has been ongoing and last time I tested it last month it happened again. When I turn off the AHK it doesn't happen at all. Since I always have a keyboard and that allows betternavigation speed its not that important to me.

Hey guys, the crashes I was seeing before I can't get to happen anymore. Funny thing is I haven't updated any code. So I'm actually wondering if Windows Updates might have been the culprit; I was seeing the crashes with consistency for a while, and then they just disappeared. So, first off, what versions of Windows are you running? If you can make sure your updates are all up to date and test some more, it'd be appreciated. If none of us are seeing the crashes anymore with 5.10-beta-3 then I'll call this fixed.

I'm seeing the problem when I enable game controllers, but it seems to go away when I turn them off completely. Seems like it doesn't matter whether controllers are connected or not. If they're enabled in Big Box, that seems to be what's causing it. That's just my initial observations though. If you guys can try turning off game controllers in Big Box to see if that seems to solve the issue, that'd be awesome.

LB version noticed 5.8 beta versions (don't rem exact one). Got the NT errors. LB updated to 5.9 release same thing. Got the VLC errors. Keyboard or MS 360 pad would do this. 5.8 beta versions Once bigbox loads I can scroll up and down systems fine. Once I enter a system to see the games are and it crashes. 5.9 release Everything was fine until I scrolled to gigawing on naomi and crashed, I repeated it again, same. Repeated again on other systems like my Capcom Arcade only menu. Crash Both issues above were used on the following systems: ASUS GENE-Z z86 8GB Corsair PC3-12800 DDR3 i5-2500K CPU no o/c Cruical 250GB SSD WiFi 5Ghz Geforce 460 GTX Panasonic G50 Plasma 60" 1920x1080 A fresh re-install of Windows 7 SP1 with no updates applied. Minimal program installs ASUS motherboard drivers .NET 4.6.1 VLC 2.2.2 2015 VB Distro's ----------- I was only using the bare min to get LB/Rocketlauncher working. I use rocketlauncher to configure my emu's and without using launchbox ensure RL works with all systems outside. I load my roms and LB videos off my NAS. LB navigation worked and didn't crash, just BigBox. Once 5.9 came out, I redid windows again, full format. Now crash was saying that VLC error if you scroll up for screenshot. --------------- I had enough at this point when it seems only I had this issue. Maybe some chipset problem, unknown. I went and bought a whole new PC LOL. It was time for it anyways. I really didn't want to buy windows 10 for the hell of it so I passed on that idea for now. So yesterday I got it all configured: ASUS GENE VIII z170 8GB Corsair 2133 DDR4 i5-6500 CPU Samsung NVME PRO 250GB PCIE x4 SSD (2k reads/1k writes) WiFi 5Ghz Geforce 960 GTX Panasonic G50 Plasma 60" 1920x1080 A fresh re-install of Windows 7 SP1 with no updates applied. Minimal program installs ASUS motherboard drivers .NET 4.6.1 VLC 2.2.2 2015 VB Distro's WiFi 5Ghz The bare min to get LB/Rocketlauncher working. The latest version of LB Result is - using VLC as recommended player so crashes. I scrolled up and down trying to force it to but couldn't so far. This is as of the latest version of LB. I will keep you posted but fingers crossed so far so good. Did not select a XBOX 360 controller in Bigbox = working ok Selected a controller and used controller to navigate = no crash Selected a controller and used keyboard to navigate = no crash Hope this info helps!

Okay, the Big Box occasional crashes that I'm seeing are apparently unrelated to the controller or AutoHotkey settings, as I turned both off completely and did still just get the crash. It only seems to crash for me if I leave it unattended for a while (like overnight). I'm switching to the Windows Media Player engine to see if the crash goes away in that scenario.