LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox crashes constantly

DR9

@DR9, @DOS76, @jking3 I think I have the Big Box stability issues fixed (at least the ones that were related to VLC). See the beta testing post: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/launchbox-beta-testing/page-76#p15467 Please let me know if you are seeing any more stability issues with the latest 5.10-beta-6. Thanks! :)

• 4 months later...
On 21 April 2016 at 0:03 PM, DR9 said:

LB version noticed 5.8 beta versions (don't rem exact one). Got the NT errors. LB updated to 5.9 release same thing. Got the VLC errors. Keyboard or MS 360 pad would do this. 5.8 beta versions Once bigbox loads I can scroll up and down systems fine. Once I enter a system to see the games are and it crashes. 5.9 release Everything was fine until I scrolled to gigawing on naomi and crashed, I repeated it again, same. Repeated again on other systems like my Capcom Arcade only menu. Crash Both issues above were used on the following systems: ASUS GENE-Z z86 8GB Corsair PC3-12800 DDR3 i5-2500K CPU no o/c Cruical 250GB SSD WiFi 5Ghz Geforce 460 GTX Panasonic G50 Plasma 60" 1920x1080 A fresh re-install of Windows 7 SP1 with no updates applied. Minimal program installs ASUS motherboard drivers .NET 4.6.1 VLC 2.2.2 2015 VB Distro's ----------- I was only using the bare min to get LB/Rocketlauncher working. I use rocketlauncher to configure my emu's and without using launchbox ensure RL works with all systems outside. I load my roms and LB videos off my NAS. LB navigation worked and didn't crash, just BigBox. Once 5.9 came out, I redid windows again, full format. Now crash was saying that VLC error if you scroll up for screenshot. --------------- I had enough at this point when it seems only I had this issue. Maybe some chipset problem, unknown. I went and bought a whole new PC LOL. It was time for it anyways. I really didn't want to buy windows 10 for the hell of it so I passed on that idea for now. So yesterday I got it all configured: ASUS GENE VIII z170 8GB Corsair 2133 DDR4 i5-6500 CPU Samsung NVME PRO 250GB PCIE x4 SSD (2k reads/1k writes) WiFi 5Ghz Geforce 960 GTX Panasonic G50 Plasma 60" 1920x1080 A fresh re-install of Windows 7 SP1 with no updates applied. Minimal program installs ASUS motherboard drivers .NET 4.6.1 VLC 2.2.2 2015 VB Distro's WiFi 5Ghz The bare min to get LB/Rocketlauncher working. The latest version of LB Result is - using VLC as recommended player so crashes. I scrolled up and down trying to force it to but couldn't so far. This is as of the latest version of LB. I will keep you posted but fingers crossed so far so good. Did not select a XBOX 360 controller in Bigbox = working ok Selected a controller and used controller to navigate = no crash Selected a controller and used keyboard to navigate = no crash Hope this info helps!

**UPDATE. I believe that the Plays TV Recording service was the culprit. Leaving BigBox open overnight see if it is stable with this process disabled.**

I am having extremely similar crashes, didn't seem to happen until i added the Playstation 2 as a system. Not sure if this is still a common issue. BigBox will also crash when idle inside a system game menu and a video has played through twice or more. I have pretty good hardware, Asus 787 Deluxe, i7 4770 K. 4GB Radeon R929OC, 32GB Corsair Vengence, 700 GB SSD Samsung. Fresh install of Launchbox. Not sure how to diagnose the issue. Error reported as 'Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFF427F319B (ltc_game64-116096.dll) in BigBox.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000A85D343918).' I have all of the media and metadata synced and downloaded from the Launchbox/ Emu Movies servers. Boxes/Fanart/Videos etc. Only customisation is banner art with modified reignstumble art. I also use rocketlauncher exclusively to launch. Maybe i exported a dodgy PNG? I will try to reproduce under different circumstances. Will BigBox  generally slow down as more and more systems are configured?

Really loving the Front-End though, swapped from HS and never looking back.

Edited by BoxBox
Update
  • Like 1

Plays TV was causing the crash, even though it was not set to automatically record. Not sure if this is a known issue or if other GVR software will cause problems for other people. Disabling PlaysTV open on startup resolved the crashes. Crash also occurred on 6.8.

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 6.9.0.20, time stamp: 0x57d4b4d2
Faulting module name: ltc_game64-116096.dll, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x57cf505f
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000319b
Faulting process ID: 0xea4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d20c4192ba0574
Faulting application path: C:\HyperSpin\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\RAPTRI~1\PlaysTV\ltc_game64-116096.dll
Report ID: ab606f50-1a79-4d19-8d30-bf0b2386dead

• Like 1

On 13/09/2016 at 10:15 AM, Jason Carr said:

Wow, that's interesting @BoxBox. I'm curious what that ltc_game64... DLL file is; is that part of Plays TV?

Yeah its part of Plays TV, there are a bunch of them, game 32 and game 64. Apparently PlaysTV injects itself into the app it is recording but this causes crashes with some applications. I believe it does this to record data in game events like deaths and kills so it can easily create markers in the videos. ltc_game64-116096.dll has caused issues with lots of other software as well, all in the last week in fact so hopefully it is something they fix soon.

I use Plays TV as it is a great replay client for MOBA games, unfortunately it is downloaded with AMD driver updates as junkware so many people have it running in the background without even realising it.

I was having the same issues and just came across this thread...    I have PlayTV installed also so checked my EventViewer...

Guess I'll be disabling PlaysTV also!

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 6.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x57dc28f3
Faulting module name: ltc_game64-116096.dll, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x57cf505f
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000319b
Faulting process id: 0x39f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d21215cef8dcd4
Faulting application path: D:\Games\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\RAPTRI~1\PlaysTV\ltc_game64-116096.dll
Report Id: 9b16af14-38f7-4161-b203-6190f9b8c427
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So I found this: http://support.plays.tv/support/discussions/topics/12000005500

I was working to troubleshoot and get the issue fixed; I installed PlaysTV and I'm indeed able to replicate the issue. Apparently this is an issue with *all* WPF applications and their software so there's literally nothing I can do to solve it, which is pretty upsetting considering how many gamers will likely have that software installed. I'm contacting them as well.

• Like 1

I got in touch with Plays.TV and they are adding LaunchBox and Big Box to their blacklist which supposedly should solve the problem (though obviously that's still going to cause problems for many other applications, so I don't think that's really a great solution). I'm waiting to hear back from them on whether or not the fix will take effect immediately or if we'll have to wait for a new version of Plays.TV.

• 1 year later...

lately im having this bigbox error what can it means and how to fix it ? 

mscorlib.Resources.Libraries.Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_0.resources.dll is not found as an Embedded Resource.

App:     Big Box
Version: 8.0
Type:    System.Exception
Site:    System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly _nLoad(System.Reflection.AssemblyName, System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef, IntPtr, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalGetSatelliteAssembly(String name, CultureInfo culture, Version version, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GetSatelliteAssembly(CultureInfo lookForCulture, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
   at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetStream(String name, CultureInfo culture)
   at MS.Internal.Resources.ResourceManagerWrapper.GetStream(String name)
   at MS.Internal.AppModel.ResourcePart.GetStreamCore(FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
   at System.IO.Packaging.PackagePart.GetStream(FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
   at System.Windows.Application.GetResourceStream(Uri uriResource)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Fu.SwissArmyTools.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<LoadImageAsyncForNamedResource>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Fu.SwissArmyTools.<LoadImageAsyncForNamedResource>d__16.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Fu.SwissArmyTools.<SetImageSourceAsyncForNamedResource>d__23.MoveNext()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

4:14:35 AM Music.Resume Start
   4:14:36 AM Music.Pause Start
   4:14:36 AM Music.Resume Start
   4:14:37 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) HandleManager.Remove
   4:14:37 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) EventManager.Detach
   4:14:37 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) Free
   4:14:37 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) ReleaseMediaPlayerFunction
   4:14:39 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) HandleManager.Remove
   4:14:39 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) EventManager.Detach
   4:14:39 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) Free
   4:14:39 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) ReleaseMediaPlayerFunction