LaunchBox Community Forums

Unusual issue importing GBA roms

JCSRT05

So here is the scenario: LB Version 5.7 1) Importing Nintendo handhelds. GB and GBC have imported just fine. 2) Trying to import GBA using the same procedure as before: -"Add Folder" -select folder containing games -choose GBA as the platform -Retroarch as emulator -leave files in the folder -default settings for metadata -turn off all options for Emumovies and this is what it pulls up: Untitled.png Now, I thought the amount that I was trying to import may be chocking it, split the directory in half but same results. Also: - If I repeat the same process but choose a different folder (i.e. choose to import GB but set it as GBA during the import), games are identified -I can apparently load a game by dragging and dropping, 1 at a time. I cannot mass drag and drop as only maybe 10 games are seen.. Any suggestions?

Hey SentaiBrad, thanks for the quick response. I did initially disable downloading from Emumovies per a problem I had with Nintendo earlier in the week but for grins, I did update to the latest beta and unfortunately, the problem still appears to exist.

Agreed, strange. Yes I select "Force importing duplicate games". I am almost certain Jason the problem has to do with the length of the file name... Anyone familiar with the no intro set will likely confirm that one absurdly long file name is: D:\LaunchBox\Roms\Nintendo - Game Boy Advance\3 Games in 1 - Rugrats - I Gotta Go Party + SpongeBob SquarePants - SuperSponge + Tak and the Power of Juju (Europe) (En+En+En,Fr,De) Its very possible that windows or LB is not digging this and thus when you try to import everything, it just comes in blank. I've tested importing just this rom and I get the same issue. When I try to import 100+ "regular" length files, they import as they should. Is this a windows issue or a LB issue that can be addressed? I can pretty much guarantee I will not be disappointed if I can't add the following game to the collection :)

The file name has no bearing on import, at least from Windows limits. NTFS File path limitations (which is the path from your drive letter all the way to your file) is roughly 255-260 characters including spaces. The file path you provided is 179 characters. I've imported No Intro and Good Sets several times in the past with absolutely no issue related to them. File naming at least due to length is not the culprit here.

I didn't think the limit applied to NTFS file system but maybe I can ask you or someone running Win10 with the exact same file (since it is a no-intro file to try to copy that file to the root of your C:. This is the error I am getting: Untitled-1.png More concerning, when I try to right click and look at the properties, explorer craps on me.

If you're getting that message, then yes, that is definitely the problem. There are path length limitations in Windows, even with NTFS. It's really stupid that that problem still exists, but it does still exist in Windows 10. The only thing I can recommend is moving things out to a parent folder or a shorter folder path to solve that problem :/

Yeah shorting it usually works for me as I've run across this problem with Nintendo DS and GameCube games where the people want to add long ass names of who ripped them or dumped them whatever you want to call it usually removing their tag from the file name gets it in working order.

Just wanted to make sure this was marked as "solved". Part of the problem is for whatever reason, I though it was smart to put each rom in their individual folder. In doing so, the file names that were absurdly long initially was almost doubled. Previously in the post, I had only indicated the FOLDER, not the file within the folder so the file name actually looked like this... D:\LaunchBox\Roms\Nintendo - Game Boy Advance\3 Games in 1 - Rugrats - I Gotta Go Party + SpongeBob SquarePants - SuperSponge + Tak and the Power of Juju (Europe) (En+En+En,Fr,De)\3 Games in 1 - Rugrats - I Gotta Go Party + SpongeBob SquarePants - SuperSponge + Tak and the Power of Juju (Europe) (En+En+En,Fr,De).gba WOW... I have since unzipped all .gba files the to the Game Boy Advance folder r instead and problem solved. Obviously part Windows limitation, part user error :) Thanks for the feedback guys.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, after getting bored with MAME games I install some emulators for playing GBA ROMs but the problem is that there is no sound of the emulator. I use GameBOid emulator and everything runs smoothly the GBA games plays good, graphic fine but no sound. In the settings section, everything is set to default but still no sound, what should be the problem. I try to uninstall and install the same emulator again but not working. If someone knows what is the problem pls let me know and if there is any other emulator for android let me know that too.

Edited by Moto

1 minute ago, Moto said:

Hi, after getting bored with MAME games I install some emulators for playing GBA ROMs but the problem is that there is no sound of the emulator. I use GameBOid emulator and everything runs smoothly the GBA games plays good, graphic fine but no sound. In the settings section, everything is set to default but still no sound, what should be the problem. I try to uninstall and install the same emulator again but not working. If someone knows what is the problem pls let me know and if there is any other emulator for android let me know that too.

There are lots of GBA emulators on android, personally i would use one of the retroarch cores.