LaunchBox Community Forums

Question about modern Windows games

WoodenSaucer

Launchbox looks like it could be exactly what I'm looking for, but the description is unclear how it works with modern Windows games. Right now, I have games spread out over Steam, Uplay, and Origin, and it's a pain having to deal with 3 different clients. I'd love to compile them all into one user interface. So can anyone confirm that Launchbox can import and work with games from all three clients, Steam, Uplay, and Origin?

I thought it was fairly clear. Steam is easy, we have a special importer for it and it should find all of your Steam games. Origin and Uplay we technically don't have an importer for but the Windows Games importer should work just fine. If anything is missed you can add anything you want to LaunchBox with the Add button in the bottom right hand corner.

Yeah, I just downloaded it and tried it out. It's pretty awesome, but I just have one issue. We have Steam set up with my main account, and then several other accounts for the members of my family, using Steam's Family Sharing feature. This way, we can keep our game saves separate. But when I launch from Launchbox, it seems like it defaults to my main account's game saves. Is there any way to choose a separate local Steam account from Launchbox so we can use our separate saves?

No there isn't, we also haven't had the need to do this yet. We use the Steam API though so there might be a solution, or import the games with a different Steam Username. The games that are shared should still show up. I haven't tried scanning Steam games with LB on my wife's PC, but it should theoretically see all the games I've shared with her, then it should launch like normal when she does it on her PC. If that solution doesn't work please feel free to create a feature request on our BitBucket page for Steam Family Sharing support. At the top of the page click "Send Feedback". It can properly get tracked and we can try to get something working. I can't promise this is something we can easily fix within the Steam API though.

Thank you. I'll go ahead and send the feedback because even if I could figure out a hack, it would be really nice to have it made easy for people. It might work rescanning Steam with my son's personal url. The only problem would be differentiating the launchers so we would know which is which. Thanks again.

You could have two installs of LaunchBox. https://i.imgur.com/1pBoo63.png Edit: I made a diagram but the formatting of the forums took that away, so here's a screenshot of the diagram. xD Have two separate installs in the same folder. Have your install be the main installation of LB with all of the games and setup a platform for Applications. In there manually add LaunchBox as a "game" and have that pointing towards your Son's install. In there just have it import Steam games with his URL. You can even technically use the same LaunchBox Premium license on both if you have one and if you'd like to.

This is a pretty interesting post maybe in the future LaunchBox could have a multi-user setup built in but for now Brad suggestion will work. I've read from other users that they do this to differentiate between consoles, handhelds and computers Some even went as far as having a master version setup that launches the other categories.

I have a Steam account but to be honest I don't really use it much or buy any games from there. I didn't know they let you share games with your family that is a pretty cool feature and unlike normal business practices where companies want to get paid for everything and anything.

The only real downside is that only one person at the same time can use the game library. If one of your friends or family members plays a game of yours and you want to play yourself (it doesn’t matter if it’s the same game or a completely different one) they would have to exit the game. And of course games which need a second launcher (like Uplay) won’t work either without sharing your account information’s.

CriticalCid said The only real downside is that only one person at the same time can use the game library. If one of your friends or family members plays a game of yours and you want to play yourself (it doesn’t matter if it’s the same game or a completely different one) they would have to exit the game. And of course games which need a second launcher (like Uplay) won’t work either without sharing your account information’s.
Yeah, I thought Steam was 100% perfect and wonderful until I had kids. Now I hate the heck out of it. Think about it, I own hundreds of games. And now my kids can't play ANY of them while I'm playing a different one? Or vice versa? When I found that out I felt pretty robbed.

Jason Carr said
CriticalCid said The only real downside is that only one person at the same time can use the game library. If one of your friends or family members plays a game of yours and you want to play yourself (it doesn’t matter if it’s the same game or a completely different one) they would have to exit the game. And of course games which need a second launcher (like Uplay) won’t work either without sharing your account information’s.
Yeah, I thought Steam was 100% perfect and wonderful until I had kids. Now I hate the heck out of it. Think about it, I own hundreds of games. And now my kids can't play ANY of them while I'm playing a different one? Or vice versa? When I found that out I felt pretty robbed.
That's not true. You just can't have the same game playing on two computers. You can play two different shared games at the same time on different computers, though, if they're shared with Family accounts. We do that all the time.