LaunchBox Community Forums

Lightspeed: Ultra-Fast Mame Importer Tool

Jason Carr

Antropus said I hope it works. I cannot reproduce the problem in my machine.
Oh man... if it's something stupid that I've done I'm going to be embarassed. lol *edit* Unfortunately, it leaves me with the same .xml... no changes, new games or platform.

Drybonz said *edit* Unfortunately, it leaves me with the same .xml... no changes, new games or platform.
Holy! Really not sure what's happening. What's your windows version? If I remember correctly, the previous version was working on both win7 and win10. Could someone else try it and report, please? I can try it in another machine once I get home tonight! -Kris

Here's what I tried: 1) Downloaded and installed a brand new Launchbox in a different drive and folder. 2) Downloaded and installed a brand new Lightspeed in another drive and folder as well. 3) Ran it with the deafult settings and the xml file was generated successfully. 4) Opened Launchbox and everything seem fine. So, this was a completely new setup, but still in the same machine, and it worked. I can try in a different machine at home tonight. Now, I tried it with a full set and it ran out of memory... Seems like a completely different issue though, but you never know! In the previous version I always cleaned up my variables before proceeding but I decided to leave them available at all times in this version and seems like it's just too much to handle. Let me try to flush those variables and see is I can generate the full set.

Antropus said
Drybonz said *edit* Unfortunately, it leaves me with the same .xml... no changes, new games or platform.
Holy! Really not sure what's happening. What's your windows version? If I remember correctly, the previous version was working on both win7 and win10. Could someone else try it and report, please? I can try it in another machine once I get home tonight!
Sorry for the delay... I'm on Win 8.1. Same exact Windows setup that I have had for all versions of Lightspeed... super weird. *edit* It couldn't have something to do with re-naming the platform could it? I did use that feature.

Well, I just stumbled upon some LaunchBox.xml files that were randomly saved to the root of my D drive today. :P So, at least you know what happened to them now. *edit* Just moved one into my LB dir and opened it and, sure enough, there was my arcade platform I was making from the wizard today.

Drybonz said Well, I just stumbled upon some LaunchBox.xml files that were randomly saved to the root of my D drive today. :P So, at least you know what happened to them now. *edit* Just moved one into my LB dir and opened it and, sure enough, there was my arcade platform I was making from the wizard today.
Ha! The mystery is killing me! How the hell did those files magically appear in other drive without you pointing to that drive? LOL! Weirdest thing :) I found a bug, though and fixed it. It was nothing that the common users would notice, but if you unchecked all platforms, some crap was still being generated and a mame platform was still being created. Now it's gone. I'll upload the new version in a few. I tested as follows: 1) Tried renaming all platforms 2) tried grouping platforms by adding the same name to some 3) did multiple incremental passes, adding more platforms as I went 4) everything looked as expected 5) downloaded and installed Launchbox into another machine at home 6) copied lightspeed to that machine and ran it in many ways, from creating custom named platforms, to creating an entire, full list of games 7) everything looked as expected and I was even able to launch the games through the network! So, please test the new version as soon as I upload the link and let me know. Make sure you point to the correct launchbox.xml! :P Would be nice if other people tried it as well, just to make sure it's not an isolated problem. Coming soon, so stay tuned! ps: here's a screenshot showing some tests I tried: testattach1.png

Hmmm... I see what you did there :) If you are trying to change anything inside of an elevated folder (aka Administrator rights needed...), you will NEED to run the program as Admin. "Users" is an elevated folder ;) I just tried to recreate your folder structure and ran it. Nothing was created or changed (not sure how your system is moving things to the D: drive!). Once I ran it again as admin, a new launchbox.xml file was created and the correspondent backup as created as well, in the exact folder I pointed to (same as yours). Do this: Right click Lightspeed icon > Properties > Compatibility > Run this program as an administrator > Apply > OK Try that. -Kris

Drybonz said It's weird that all my LB stuff has always been in that folder and I have never needed to run admin rights on Lightspeed before. It's an easy fix though if it works. Let me test it out. *edit* It just added another .xml to my D drive.
Drybonz, thank you so much for all the tests and I'm really sorry you have to go through this! After a night of sleep, I thought about a different approach. I'm now capturing that field at the very end of the process and splitting the path to get all the info. I will be very surprised if this doesn't work, but you never know! Please give it yet another shot an thanks again for being, apparently, my only customer :P Edit: *Bug Fixed* Latest Version posted on page 1, at the beginning of the this thread.

Antropus said Drybonz, thank you so much for all the tests and I'm really sorry you have to go through this!
No worries, man... I was actually thinking the same thing about you having to try to figure out what was going on... and hoping I hadn't done something really dumb to cause it. haha. Once people realize all the applications of this app, I think a lot of people will be using it. I had posted about wanting something that could filter out and delete roms from my set before Lightspeed came along and now it has that feature. Even if you don't use LB that is an awesome feature. I think it's a great project.