LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with TurboGrafx 16

Riffman81

Ok, so I'm trying to import my TurboGrafx 16 games into Launchbox with retroarch as the emulator. Simple enough right? Not in my case... The problem I'm having is no matter what I set the command line to in LB, it still loads up the wrong core and config file. In my case, the core I'm using for NEC PC Engine and the custom config are getting loaded every time, Despite that I clearly have my command line as: -L "cores\mednafen_pce_fast_libretro.dll" any clue what I'm doing wrong? I've tried deleting and importing several times, I've reconfigured retroarch, etc. I'm at a loss on this one. And yes, I do have "configuration per core" and "save config on exit" turned off on all my custom configs and all work fine. I'm not even trying to use a custom config with this system but as I said, no matter what I put in the command line field, it still loads the supergrafx core and not the one specified.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excuse the double post, but it seems LaunchBox is thinks that TurboGrafx 16 and PC Engine are the same system?? I deleted all the PC Engine games and now the core and the custom config I have set for TurboGrafx 16 load fine? I realize essentially that these are the same system, but I like keeping my Japanese rom sets separated from my USA/Europe sets. How can I add PC Engine games in without Launch Box thinking they are TurboGrafx 16 titles? I tried bulk edit to ensure they are different platforms, but this didn't fix the issue I'm having.

Tried that, it's a no go. The minute I import the PC Engine games, it also makes my TurboGrafx 16 games use the command line and custom config... Not sure how to get around this. I've tried renaming the platform from NEC PC Engine to just PC Engine, I've deleted games and reimported them many times... No luck getting LB to distinguish between the two platforms.

Well in terms of the config and Retroarch core they will be identical since they are the same system. In my setup I just have them all in one platform so as a test I created the platform PC Engine and tried importing to that and like you said it just defaults to the TurboGrafx platform which is a bummer. The only real workaround I found quickly but unfortunately will be a little bit of work on your end is bulk edit your PC Engine games and change the platform to the PC Engine platform. You may need to just edit one game first and manually type in PC Engine in the platform field first. The quickest way to do it probably is to import all your PC Engine games first to the TG platform then bulk edit them over to PC Engine. Then import all your North American TurboGrafx games into the default platform. After doing this on some test games it did work for moving those games over to the PC Engine platform and like I said above the Retroacrh core and config are the same anyways unless you really wanna use separate cores and configs for whatever reason you have but it is easily edited.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. I have my platforms setup as NEC PC-Engine and TurboGrafx 16 and I use them in RetroArch I didn't have any issues importing them except that I had to find all of my own metadata. Are you trying to use different cores for PC Engine and TG16 and it won't let you not a great workaround but if so you could always setup a second install of RA to use the specific core and config file you want to use.

Yeah, I'm using different cores and custom configs to make use of the different overlay images I have for each. The problem isn't the importing process, LB does list the PC Engine games in the PC Engine platform and the TurboGrafx 16 games in the TurboGrafx 16 platform. However, if I choose to play a TG 16 game, no matter what I put in the command line field under associated platforms, it still uses the command I have defined for PC Engine. If I delete the PC Engine games, only then will LB start using the command I have set for TurboGrafx 16. Make sense? I'm trying to explain this issue the best way I can. If I click on a TG 16 game and go to edit, emulator tab, and specify the additional command line there, it will work with the core I have set. But, it's kind of a hassle to do that for each game. Just trying to figure out if this is a retroarch issue or a LB issue. I have also tried with just using the same core but different configs, that's a no go as well as it still uses whatever I have set in the NEC PC Engine platform. I have no clue really why it refuses to use my command line but if I have to set each game individually, I will do that as a workaround.

Ahh, I think I understand now. All you really want is a different config to run for each platform. You would still use the same core but can have it run custom configs by using the "Use Custom Command-Line Parameters" option. Brad did a tutorial on this but the basic gist is create a cfg in retroarch and rename it to something else and then call that config using the custom command line option. I can't recall the exact command for it off the top of my head but I will post back if I find it unless Brad pokes his head in here before hand :) Edit: Ok as a quick test I went into my configs folder in Retroarch and made a copy of my mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.dll.cfg and renamed it to test.cfg. I then loaded up Ghouls N Ghosts and changed a my shader to something I would know immediately which config was loaded. Then for Ghouls N Ghosts I edited that rom and in the emulation tab I checked the"Use Custom Command-Line Parameter" and in the command line box I put in --config config\test.cfg I then loaded the game and it is using it's own shader different from other games using a different shader. I know I am talking about shaders but the same should apply to overlays. Set up one config for the overlay you want for your PC Engine stuff and rename that config to whatever you want. Then in your PC Engine platform emulator you should be able to tell it to load that custom config with the overlay you have set. I don't know if this is something easily bulk edited or not but I suppose you could just use the supergrafx core for Japan region games and the PCE Fast core for North American games. I hope this works for what you want, I don't use overlays personally.

The command I teach is actually -c "config/config name.cfg" but if --Config works then that's great. If you want to apply custom configs to the entire core use the -c command after -L in Associate Platforms. If you want a custom config for just 1 game, Edit a game and put it in the default command line parameters box here, right below where the rom path is. Game command lines take precedent over console wide since they happen second. I do also suggest using Super Grafx, hell this was the only way I could get TurboGrafx CD to play. For the record too TurboGrafx 16 and PC Engine are the exact same console. They just look slightly different and one came out in Japan. Otherwise they're the same. You'll also have better scraping if you use TurboGrafx 16, this is why we suggest defaults. We do look for alternate names in a lot of cases but it's not a comprehensive list. If I missed anything let me know.

Well yours is definitely the right way to do it when it's for the entire platform. Otherwise my way would involve doing it for each game separately and that would be a pain in the ass. There is a difference in a way that works and the right way. Either way hopefully it gets the OP the desired outcome he was looking for.

• 1 year later...

NEC is the company and they made the TurboGrafx 16 and PC Engine (plus a couple of others), NEC was the company though like Nintendo or Sega. The TurboGrafx 16 and PC Engine are the same console just different regions like the NES and Famicom or the Genesis and Megadrive.

If you have everything setup right things will work. You don't give any details on what the problem is, nor do you tell us what emulator you are using.

i use retroarch and downloaded all the specific cores that have to do with nec and pc engine , also i use .pce files and launchbox cannot even find artwork and box covers not only cannot launch them

but to be onest i cannt launche them through retroarch ether 

do i need to download a bios and put it inside the system folder for turbografx ?