LaunchBox Community Forums

Sub category under platform of genre

scottvf

Would like a sub category of genre under platform. Right now I just use genre as my main screen (big box) and in it I have it listed as (Role-Playing, Action, Adventure, Playstation2, Snes ect) This way I can use platform and when I select PC, Playstation 2 ect, I can select a genre for what type of game I want to play and don't have all the genres mixed up.

Isn't this basically the same as the request for the nested filters also? Custom Filters is in no way powerful enough for what could be possible for filtering in LB. You should be able for example filter games like Nintendo 64 Racing Konami and only get the games that meet all of those criteria as results. Custom filter just doesn't come close to being able to do that!

I agree with that. A nested filter option would be the ideal way to realize this. I also just posted a video on this ticket which shows how the RomCollectionBrowser for Kodi handles that. Here’s the link for the ticket: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/311/nested-filters But voting for my submenu ticket is still also a good idea ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool, Then I can finally have a smaller boot up list. I currently have my genres as my boot up (Nintendo-rpg, Nintendo-platform, ect) which makes a very long list to scroll through to find my games. Now I can have my boot up be by Platform and have Nintendo and then select RPG, Platform ect.

Can't wait for this.

Anybody know it I can automatically have launch box change my genres for all my games? I changed them when adding them to represent platform and when this feature is added I can change them back to what they're supposed to be, or do I have to manually change them?

Example: I have SNES game Final fantasy genre set to Super Nintendo-RPG instead of Role-Playing

• 4 weeks later...

Mr Jason :)

Any release date for the official platform sub categories? I'm seeing they are creating quite a lot of interest over talks about Launchbox. It's quite a popular feature, but they aren't in the current official release yet, only Beta's

Version 7.4 current official release I have. Thanks very much.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Yes, they do exist already in LaunchBox, but I would really like to see this feature implemented in BigBox as well :)

I've gave up with it... It's ok if you want to have 1 branch to say "these are computers" or "these are consoles", but Launchbox is not capable of moving platforms around without breaking everything else... I had to delete my entire launchbox and restore back to a previous build, because it does NOT behave as expected.

When you want to change the "Platform" of a group of games, it shouldn't touch or interfere with file paths, if all you desire is a new heading under the platform catergories. If you have your launchbox roms working from a certain "Specific" folder (You choose leave roms in current location), Launchbox tries to be clever and starts moving those roms around without question when making NEW platforms... It's totally destroyed my library.

It also when using remove unused images having played with this feature, and all your file paths are now different... Deletes all your images for 'moved' roms to the new platforms, since the file paths are now all messed up. Basically if you want to make new platforms, you will have to individually go through every single new platform, setting all it's attributes such as Emulator (because sometimes that doesn't copy across), all image file paths, etc etc... It's not worth it... really frustrated now, having spent the entire day trying to organise for this feature which is absolutely broken.

All we need is a simple Sub heading, which doesn't touch ANYTHING else at all. Leaves all roms, images, and file paths alone, and simply makes a header/sub platform title for organising, which can be used in both normal Library mode and BigBox if required. Whilst yes it's possible to have just 1 branch, I and many others were waiting to be able to sort games out into sub catergories like this,

Arcade >

Mame > 

Fighter

Platformers

Shooters

Personally I don't even use bigbox and this is the only 1 feature I've ever requested. :(

Edited by dudechester

19 hours ago, dudechester said:

Launchbox tries to be clever and starts moving those roms around without question when making NEW platforms... It's totally destroyed my library.

LaunchBox doesn't move anything unless you tell it to. Actually, it doesn't move anything to a fault. So if you set up a platform, downloaded all your media, and then changed the system name, all of the old media is still under the old platform name. You gotta go in and edit the folder names in Images, Music, etc, to the new platform name. So I am a bit confused with the issues you are having, but I can tell you it's not LaunchBox doing things.

Ok, If you have your Mame all setup, but want your games to be seperate platforms for each genre.

Mame > 

-   Fighters

-   Racing

-   Shooters

To do this, you'd make a large selection of, for example... Fighting games, Bulk Edit > and change the Platform to - Fighters (With it's Category being Mame)

This will then list the fighter games under the Mame Category like above Correctly.

It then makes NEW and separate folders for everything to do with this sub category when you don't want it too. This destroys the paths to images, because they are still in the mame platform. It sometimes stops the Emulator assignment to the new platform, since the new platform is not assigned to the Mame platform any longer and expects to still be assigned to the Mame emulator. Around 70% of the time, the games will still have their emulator pointing to the old platform Mame emulator, whilst around 30% of my testing, shows that sometimes games will lose that assignment and a bug becomes apparent in which it requests this NEW platform needs a new emulator. You see it's not guaranteed this will happen everytime.

To make drop down lists of games so they are organised into categories like I show in the first example, Launchbox MUST either copy everything, or copy nothing, not just some attributes, because this causes absolute hell.

After moving to a new platform, the new platform should have the option to either use roms where they are OR move them over. (that would help a lot!!!)

and the same goes for images, because images will still display like they are correctly pointed at that file path, "Until" you refresh, or have mercy you press clear unused images like I did... They will all be destroyed instantly.

So the process of moving to a new platform (not creating a new one) is VERY rocky atm, and 99% of users will have their Mame setup already. Therefore, if they want to move game genres to becomes separate platforms on the left hand side, there is no clean way to do this currently.

Hope that explains a good days work of testing for you :)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dudechester, thats exsactly what i was searching, i tried this:

Arcade >

Best of '80

Shmups

but without luck, what i did is i started two Launchbox versions, one with all the games

and the other just with "Shmups". Right now i need another version for "Best of '80" ;)

I hope LB will have this feature one day build in, i'm new to LB but love it so far!

Nedo

I just wanted to say, it works now for me, i found a way :-) now it looks like this:

Arcade >

Vertical Shmups

Horizontal Shmups

i first used this tool from here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149708.msg1563036.html#msg1563036

to create gamelists per genre, each roms in a separate folder. (you can create your own genre bat files by editing catver, or similar.ini's)

I then added the first folder to "arcade" got all the infos, pics, videos, then renamed the Aracde to the genre (ie. vertical Shmups).

You then need to move all the images from Arcade to Vertical Shmups, so Arcade folder is free again.

Then add the next gamelist to arcade, and do the same, download all images, videos ect. rename it and then move all the Images to the new folder.

greets Nedo