LaunchBox Community Forums

mame not working

gizmo

hi i found some mane roms and put them through launchbox but some artwork not showing or some are not working , i did find 510 roms but launchbox has only put in 400 roms , this is the problem i had before with mane this is the version of mane i am using MameUI32 but getting errors like this thanks for your help and adviceUntitled-1.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this game works with MAME out of Launchbox? These are files that seem to be part of the game. At least when I check my 1941 zip file, these are included. Can you check the rom file and see if they are in it? Screenshot_1-3.png As for naming, some times the file name does not match the Database names here., although I am not expert.

That generally means Parent roms or BIOS files are missing for the games you are trying to run. MAME does not work like other systems, 1 file does not = 1 game. Some games could have up to 20 files that they need to run. The best solution is to get a MAME set based on the version of MAME you have. So the latest version is .173, so you should find a .173 MAME Set. As for some images not being found, there really isn't anything we can do about it. I think our Database is based on .172, but not much may have changed so it is probably not related to why you are missing images. If that game exists on the Database then we are missing data on it, if it is not in the Database or it doesn't have a real name then we don't have it. By real name I mean a game name not the name of the zip file. Games may also just not have images associated with it which will need someone to upload the data for.

many thanks for your reply this is what i have got in 1941.zip , i will search around for mame 173 as well , it sounds like i am looking in the wrong palce , but found some where else to check out i am finding this sort of thing hard but i expect it takes time to learn , with the bios how would i know which bios to use or how to use it thanks for your help and advice Untitled-2.jpg

gizmo Your files seem to be a mix of the 1941r1 (just alternative to original) and a couple of files from the Japanese one. The bin files are from the Japanese and the rom from the 1941 alternative. I am not sure where you got your games, but I feel you might run into more problems with more games if all of them are messy like this.

The japanese 1941, merged, non merged or split, has 25 unique files. This is why I am thinking that seeing these 4 randomly in the pack, means the source might have not paid attention. If these 4 were missing, the pack would be a 1941r1, with missing "bios" files, since that is missing it common files that are used by about 50 games.

many thanks for your replys , oh no this is the problem i am having , i search around the net and d/l but they dont work so i try again same thing happens , missing files etc i have looked for a mame 173 set but all i can find is a 171 172 upgrade not sure where to look at the moment and i know that you cannot advise , but i will try again i have got the latest mame version now so just need to look for games thanks

You could try to fix that problem with ROmCenter, which is more user friendly or ClrMamePro, which is more accurate. If not, you could always gets a 0.172 set and use MAME 0.172, instead of the updated one. This way MAME will load them correctly.

In RomCenter, when you choose the 1941 file, on the right what does it show? The second screenshot just seems liek the first, but with the named arranged the opposite way. Do not get confused if they fixed the names or checked the files and RomCenter shows it as green. For example on this picture is shows that Romcenter can correct it, since it is yellow.
Spoiler
Screenshot_1-5.png
That does not mean though it is fixable if the file on the right can't be found. I think thought to be marked yellow, it must be cause Romcenter believes it can find the file. I still do not trust Romcenter as much as ClrMamePro, but it is more visual. If you look below you will see that 1941 should have more files to work correctly, as romcenter is saying. As long as your file is missing the extra files, ClrMamePro and RomCenter can't somehow get them and add them to your zip.
Spoiler
Screenshot_2-4.png
I think Brad tagged CriticalCid, so when he sees the post, he will offer a helping hand as an expert.

many thanks for your replys when i choose romcentre , my internet security dont like it but i managed to install it , what i have done is to use the latest mame version and put only 1 rom in the rom folder which was 1941, first thing romcenter says ther is eg: Loading gameslist 33794 games loaded. Updating games status Status updated for 55133 items. Green games : 131, yellow games : 91, red games : 33572 Updating fileslist Query Paths list Ready and it did not find the rom that i added this is a bit confusing sorry test.jpgUntitled-4.jpg i have managed to get this from romcentre there seems to be a lot of errors Untitled-5.jpg i told romcentre to fix game but no luck Untitled-6.jpg

Here’s the link to my tutorial for Clrmamepro: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/best-practice-for-keeping-mame-roms-up-to-date/page-2#p11536 Make sure you have a complete unchanged MAME Romset before you start. And I hope you didn’t already just replaced older ROMfiles with the ones from the update packs, that’s one of the main mistakes new users tend to do. @SentaiBrad I think my tutorial is quite buried in the thread in which I posted it in and even I have to search for it every time in my post history to find it. Maybe I should open a new thread only for the tutorial and you could pin it so that new users can find it very easily? What are your thoughts on that?

I think he is just using a collection romset he found with only a handful games. Either way, like it shows on your pictures, you do not have 1941, but 1941r1. Also you will see that the files the MAME throws as error are missing, so whatever your source of roms were, it is bad. It is better to find another source. Also, you do not need to install RomCenter. I use the latest beta 4 version and it does not need installation, but I ma sure even the latest stable has a portable version. You really have to extract in a folder and run the exe.

many thanks for all the help and advice , i have download around 8000 roms from searching google , i did try out Clrmamepro but for some reason allthough i follow the instructions it did not seem to work i expect it is me or the rom in question which is 1941 - Counter Attack (World), when useing Clrmamepro it was saying that there was over 200,000 roms ? when i only put 1 in the folder , i am very new to this sort of thing and i expect it will take me a while to get the hang of things , all though i search google for roms i keep finding ones that have problems ,thanks Untitled-7.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

CriticalCid said Here’s the link to my tutorial for Clrmamepro: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/best-practice-for-keeping-mame-roms-up-to-date/page-2#p11536 Make sure you have a complete unchanged MAME Romset before you start. And I hope you didn’t already just replaced older ROMfiles with the ones from the update packs, that’s one of the main mistakes new users tend to do. @SentaiBrad I think my tutorial is quite buried in the thread in which I posted it in and even I have to search for it every time in my post history to find it. Maybe I should open a new thread only for the tutorial and you could pin it so that new users can find it very easily? What are your thoughts on that?
Please do.

gizmo If you're not worried about Size stop searching for individual games or roms, search for entire sets. Search for a .171, .172 or .173 MAME Rom set matching the version of MAME you have. Like I said earlier, usually a game does not have just 1 file it has several. I think that would just solve the problem right away if you got a full set that we knew was right.

I would like to make a simple suggestion avoiding the use of ClrMamePro and Romcenter. Those tools are great so please don't take what I am saying me criticizing those tools because I am not doing any such thing. These tools make my eyes glaze over and I have been at this stuff for a while so I can only imagine how someone new to it all might feel. However they both can be very confusing to use and much simpler place to start would be to just load up MameUI and set your roms folder and have Mame do an audit. This will tell you what roms are good and what roms are bad. You can view all the roms that come back as red and you can then do individual audits and it will tell you which rom files you actually have, which ones are missing and what zip / 7z file it is expecting / looking in to find it. Just a thought.