LaunchBox Community Forums

mame not working

gizmo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi many thanks for your reply ok i have moved it all to the roms folder in mame0173b , using mame_0.161_ROMs , i have imported them in launchbox tested some games , some work and some do not , a lot come up with a error saying the game has not been dumped correctly but it still seems to work but not played the game just tested to see if it would load , a lot has no pictures , thanks

many thanks for your reply i am importing as arcade , i cannot see a complete set for 173 , would it work if i upgraded from 161 to 173 as i can get these but i cannot see a set for 173 , if i upgraded do you just over right the orignal files ? thanks

You need an upgrade for each version. So you'd need 161 to 162, then 162 to 163 etc. If the set you have has the game you wanted to play then just use MAME 161, or if you can find a 171 or 172 instead, it's not the absolute latest but it should work. If you have a regular or split MAME Pack of games you can go ahead and drop the update pack in with your roms and overwrite if you'd like. If it's a merged set you need to use a program to properly update the set.

Please don’t just overwrite your 0.161 set with the update files! You will only break your whole romset and make things worse. If you want to update you have to use programs like Clrmamepro. As I said it would be easier for you if you use just a 0.161 version of MAME. There’s no reason to upgrade to the newest version if you just want to play some games. Almost every popular game should be able to be played with 0.161 without any problems.

many thanks for your replys , i have gone with mame0161b and mane 161 roms all bios and roms are in rom folder , but still having problems with games not loading saying missing chd or rom files so a bit unsure what to do next it looks so easy to do ?? thanks

The CHD error's are because you are missing the chd files, but like I said this is a lot lot bigger and unless there is a game you want to play that requires a chd you can avoid some of them. Otherwise I guess who ever compiled the pack compiled the BIOS completely wrong. I'm sorry there have been so many issues, I feel bad and normally it doesn't go this bad.

Just as a suggestion, afar from trying to guess or go through things that might be wrong, there is a way to further help yourself to pinpoint the problem (well at least more). I have been using MAMEUI in the far past, since it was way more user friendly and better organized than MAME for me. You can look up MAMEUIFX for your version and download it. I do not have my roms inside the roms folder, because I use both MAME and MAMEUIFX, keeping the ROMS in a separate folder. You can though just get it, place in in a folder, run it and then go to Options > Directories > ROMS (it is the first one that will be selected anyway) > Insert > find the roms folder where you have all your roms and add it. After that, MAMEUIFX will audit your roms and when its done you can use it to launch games and more importantly, check what is wrong with the game if it does not work. It more or less does the same thing RomCenter does when it audits, showing you what is wrong and what is missing.
Spoiler
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

hi many thanks for your replys with the bios i am not sure that it is the correct bios all i found was mame32 bios all , with regards to mameuifx all i can find is 173 lol , i had a look at a site that had older versions but could not download , is there a version that would work for mame 161 , when i can find mameuifx does it tell you if the game needs chd as this is one of the problems , another is mame is saying no bios or not dumped correct etc , i would like to say that this has been a experince i thought it was going to be easy lol thanks

many thanks for your reply i found mameuifx 168 , the only 173 was a problem to download , i had a look at this program not sure if i have done this right but here is what i have got , not sure what to do next thanks Untitled-9.jpg

many thanks for your reply , we regards to the bios i noticed that some where red and yellow so i dont expect they work , what version of bios would i need ? would it be advisable to try and find the roms that are missing items so i will have a full set or would it be best to upgrade to 162 thanks

Honestly I wouldn't worry about them too much. The red and yellow means that the emulation while it kind of works it's not really close to being perfect yet. Basically green is great to perfect emulation, yellow is ok but there are some issues that you may come across, red is the emulation is bad and not really usable. Essentially for right now using Mame outside of arcade is not really recommended. It is being worked on and someday will probably be very good to great but today it is not there yet. For consoles you are better off with Retroarch and other stand alone emulators. Some people may disagree however but I am not going to get into that argument again. Mame does an amazing job of emulating the 2D 32 bit era arcade games up into the mid to late 90s (some exceptions after that) but the later 3D arcade stuff it needs work still.