LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox.exe disappeared

jwolfe2208

lordmonkus said I would just like to add that on my laptop with Windows 10 and only using Defender I have had no issues at all. On my main gaming PC running Windows 8.1 using BitDefender Free Edition I have had no problems with Launchbox but I have run into issues with other software at times and BitDefender flagging it when it was just a false positive. I do like BitDefender because it is so simple, light weight on the system and probably the best free AV out there but I also don't like how overly sensitive it can be at times.
Malwarebytes is very lightweight too.

hgarcia said Hi try couple things and can't get my bigbox back.. there,s anyone in the forum than can help me out remotely? I'm newbie Thanks
I also had the trouble with BigBox dissapearing... but, you may find your .tmp files also going missing. It's pretty much confirmed it is AntiVirus false positives. LB_virusscan01.PNG Why is your antivirus doing this? I'm no computer surgeon scientist type person but I'd imagine it's because your anti-virus is 'protecting' you from executables from manipulating things on your 'puter that, in its view, haven't been installed. (LB is flatfile/portable, after all so it's not deeply embedded in registry so may not been seen as "trusted") So it may be thinking "Oh, this virus in my definition database makes tmp files and has some code with a keyword "bigbox" or whatever in it, so it could be that!" and so it takes appropriate action. This is me purely speculating of course, as I said, I don't know my ASCII from my ARSE. As mentioned in a previous post here, it is NOT recommended you lower the protection level of your Antivirus or disable it just on Launch-Box's behalf. What you CAN do is add an exception: In BitDefender, for example, this is accomplished with the following: (for other antivirus software I'm sure you'll find a similar option) - Click 'Modules' then the cog icon next to the word 'Antivirus'. - Go to the Exclusions tab and click 'Exluded files and folders'. bitdefender-exclusion_main.PNG - From here you can add your LaunchBox install location. bitdefender-exclusion.PNG Notes: ** To get BigBox back, you can simply run the LaunchBox installer and install over the existing install. ** You may find you won't be able to re-install LaunchBox untill the exception/exclusion is made. ** You will NOT lose your games setup or licence, but you may need to re-set your colour theme. ** I run LaunchBox on my cloud service (OneDrive in this case), this means I need to add the exception on my laptop's antivirus, also. Hope that helps!

Jason Carr said However, if you're running Windows 8 or Windows 10, I strongly suggest uninstalling whatever anti-virus program you're using, and using Microsoft's Windows Defender instead. It comes with Windows, is on by default, works very well, and isn't plagued by false positives like this. In my opinion, due to Microsoft's Windows Defender, third-party anti-virus programs are entirely obsolete and will only slow down your system and get in the way.
Ummm.... no. https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/ Windows Defender ties with two other anti-virus' for the worst in protection.

"Best" is subjective. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't trust the results that an anti-virus program gives you because it gives you too many false positives, then your anti-virus is worthless. These anti-virus companies aren't held responsible for false positives, so many of them try to find everything under the sun and scream at the drop of a hat. Like the boy who cried wolf, users will end up accepting too many false positives and not even know when they have a real virus.