LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox.exe disappeared

jwolfe2208

Hi Everyone. Went to open BigBox and nothing happened. Noticed that the BigBox.exe was missing. Not sure how this happened. I did see a windows update come through last night, so that might have something to do with it. Tried to copy the file from my laptop and reinsert it into the appropriate directory on my HTPC, but it says access denied. Any ideas on how I can get BigBox back up and running? cheers, JW

Thanks Brad, I tried that and i get an error during installation. MoveFile failed; code 5, Access Denied. This happened after clicking on the executable to begin the install and the BigBox.exe file is attempted to be installed. I saw another post on the forum with a person that has the exact same issue. Any ideas? thanks, JW

BigBox.exe is found currently by Ad-Aware , Arcabit, BitDefender, Emsisoft, F-Secure, GData and eScan as malware, as a false possitive. Sadly BitDefender is not only one of the most used Antivirus software, but also has false positives. It is a problem that seems to have happened with 5.10. I had to go to BitDefender's Quarantine box and restore the file on my laptop.

Thanks Brad, I tried that and i get an error during installation. MoveFile failed; code 5, Access Denied. This happened after clicking on the executable to begin the install and the BigBox.exe file is attempted to be installed. I saw another post on the forum with a person that has the exact same issue. Any ideas? thanks, JW Got it working again. I have BitDefender as my AV. Add the Launchbox folder as an excluded location and backed off the AV scrutiny and the reinstall worked and Big Box is back up and running. Thanks.

False positives are all around and Antivirus are just oversensitive. I am not sure if contacting BitDefender and telling them to recheck the file would be faster than wasting time on that. I would say you should not, since false positives are normal, but I am sure that makes users distressed when they do not know what is going on or see the warning. As a sidenote, Hyperspin had 17 search engines since last years, marking it as malware, since version 1.3.3. THe latest version, 1.4 has currently 19 stikes. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/dffe3b663a66be1d9573a0794332b2556cab3be4d090179c1ba1e61d78a99238/analysis/1463504653/ They ended up telling people that if downloads fail, they should turn off their antivirus because of that.
Spoiler
HS.png
For better or worse false positives always have been around.

Turning it off is not necessarily a good idea, there are dummies out there and they'll need any protection. That said, you can white list applications in AV software, I would suggest users do this. White list the entire LaunchBox directory and that should apply to anything inside of it and every subfolder. Personally, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro has been the only piece of active av software that I've used for the last 7 years and I don't have any problems and it protects me from connecting to crap sites or from malicious IP's from connecting to my PC. I also use IOBit Advanced System Care, but this is more for upkeep on the PC. These two pieces of software have kept me completely clean, my wife's PC, my mother in law's PC and my mother's PC (I am the tech in the family, so they listen and they've all had 0 problems).

Turning off the antivirus will not help anyway. As soon as the Antivirus is back up, it will remove the file same way. I am not mentioning it definitely as a good idea, but more like showing that it feels common. It is the same with MAME. I still remember a past version of MAME Plus and how people were upset it was a virus, all because of last positives with it. I always have Malwarebyte Antimalware active protection, but I got it cause there was a lifetime license sale and in the past I went for it. It always catches crapware that antivirus do not and even installers that I know that have opencandy, cleans them and lets the installer run. But if BigBox will remain in these false positives, or at least in the list of BitDefender, people will always have problems and of course the ones that are a bit looney with protection, will feel unsafe and roll back along with complaining.

Jason is currently trying to figure it out. Yea one of the main reasons I love Malwarebytes is the Open Candy or adware silent installs that installers give. Really really handy. I started using it because I had gotten a worm in 2008, that pretty much ate my system. XP was caught in a boot loop that it would never leave. So I took out my hard drive, went to my then girlfriends house, plugged it up and ran Malwarebytes on it. Took several hours, but it totally worked when nothing else did.

Eh, nowadays there are portable tools people can get in Bleeping computer that kick malware out. For me the worst I ever got was the "I love you" virus. May all the pictures and memories I had back then rest in piece. Afar from that I ran into problems throughout years, but since i got MBAM Premium, as they call it now, I really stopped doing formats all the time. Also, good luck and strength with that Jason, along with everything else.

Thank you all. Unfortunately I'm knee-deep in (actually productive) development right now, so I don't think it would be wise to keep spinning my wheels trying to get past these unfortunate false positives. It really bugs the heck out of me that we're having these issues, but it seems like as soon as I manage to get past one anti-virus program, a bunch more pop up, so I guess I'd just end up drowning trying "fix" them all, and nothing would actually get done. Thanks to @weltall for noting that Hyperspin has been struggling with this as well. As a solution, my best suggestion is to exclude the LaunchBox folder in your anti-virus configuration. However, if you're running Windows 8 or Windows 10, I strongly suggest uninstalling whatever anti-virus program you're using, and using Microsoft's Windows Defender instead. It comes with Windows, is on by default, works very well, and isn't plagued by false positives like this. In my opinion, due to Microsoft's Windows Defender, third-party anti-virus programs are entirely obsolete and will only slow down your system and get in the way.

Jason Carr said Thank you all. Unfortunately I'm knee-deep in (actually productive) development right now, so I don't think it would be wise to keep spinning my wheels trying to get past these unfortunate false positives. It really bugs the heck out of me that we're having these issues, but it seems like as soon as I manage to get past one anti-virus program, a bunch more pop up, so I guess I'd just end up drowning trying "fix" them all, and nothing would actually get done. Thanks to @weltall for noting that Hyperspin has been struggling with this as well. As a solution, my best suggestion is to exclude the LaunchBox folder in your anti-virus configuration. However, if you're running Windows 8 or Windows 10, I strongly suggest uninstalling whatever anti-virus program you're using, and using Microsoft's Windows Defender instead. It comes with Windows, is on by default, works very well, and isn't plagued by false positives like this. In my opinion, due to Microsoft's Windows Defender, third-party anti-virus programs are entirely obsolete and will only slow down your system and get in the way.
We actually do have a user who reported that Windows Defender did this though, so I still suggest to add LaunchBox to your Windows Defender white list too.

I would just like to add that on my laptop with Windows 10 and only using Defender I have had no issues at all. On my main gaming PC running Windows 8.1 using BitDefender Free Edition I have had no problems with Launchbox but I have run into issues with other software at times and BitDefender flagging it when it was just a false positive. I do like BitDefender because it is so simple, light weight on the system and probably the best free AV out there but I also don't like how overly sensitive it can be at times.