LaunchBox Community Forums

Genre consistency

martinconroy

Just wondering whether there's a fixed list of genres in the DB (or mapping between the sources)? e.g. I searched for Ultima VII: The Black Gate on SNES, and it was found as Wikipedia ID #1159587. The genre was shown as "Role-Playing Game" Items found in the Launchbox DB are listed as a genre of "Role-Playing". Obviously I can amend, but just wondering if there's way to automate consistency?

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, we'll be running with the genres on the LaunchBox Games Database as the official genres to use. We could definitely stand to do some genre conversions though for Wikipedia. To be honest, the Wikipedia scraper is somewhat of a mess and so I do not recommend using it. Your genres should be consistent if you stick with the LaunchBox Games Database for your scraper.

If you've already got a big launchbox.xml with wonky genres, you should also be able to fix it manually. Might take a little time, but the best method I could think of is: In LaunchBox view by genre. Lets use Role Playing as an example: I've only used the LB database, but I still have two genres listed Role-Playing & Role-Playing Game No matter how many you have listed, write all the variations down. Next, open up the launchbox.xml. Do a quick "Find and Replace" for all of the wonky names until you just have one left. I don't know the real naming convention for genres right now, but this is how I planned on handling it when it came to that.

@fromlostdays why wouldn't you call up the genre get the results for the one that you wanted to change and then bulk edit the genre without changing the xml manually. XML manipulation is great for when you need it but if the gui supports it why not do it that way. Edit Your method would be quicker though if you were doing multiple genres all in one shot I didn't think of that scenario until I reread your post

I didn't even realize Bulk Edit was an option. Does that go by system, or by the entire xml? Either way should work, but because of the way the LB xml is set up, if you open it and find and replace manually, you'll be cleaning up every system at the same time. Definitely good to have options though, as I know some people aren't comfortable messing with xmls and actually I should have said: BACK UP YOUR LAUNCHBOX XML BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO MAKE ANY CHANGES TO IT. :D