LaunchBox Community Forums

Rocketlauncher style exit button

frasto90

Hi everyone, been using lunchbox for many month now and really loving it!! Just would like to know if there's a feature or setting that you can exit out of your emulator and back to the main menu. Eg in rocket launcher you can set any key or button to exit out of the emulator and shuts it down for you. The issue I'm finding is when I use emulators such as Nestopia it wont exit out of the game, i have to use either my mouse or alt+f4

Yes, it's called Controller Automation. Here is how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGj6tKxCKbM There are tons more tutorials on the channel that I made for new users to LaunchBox and new users to Emulation (not that the second one applies here per se).

Click your platform on the left, then click a game, Ctrl + A, right click a game and click edit. In the Bulk Edit wizard choose emulator then choose the emulator. I would also suggest that you watch the tutorials, especially when it comes to RetroArch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4NieHGwbo

If you have spare buttons on your cabinet you can use JoyToKey to map a button to the ESCAPE key so everytime you press that button is like if you pressed ESC on your keyboard, this works to exit emulators back to BigBox and to close BigBox itself

Supreme said If you have spare buttons on your cabinet you can use JoyToKey to map a button to the ESCAPE key so everytime you press that button is like if you pressed ESC on your keyboard, this works to exit emulators back to BigBox and to close BigBox itself
This only works for some emulators and systems. Controller Automation should work with everything as it doesn't use the conventional close methods. If an emulator doesn't support the Escape button, the Controller Automation method can still work.

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2016 at 4:53 PM, SentaiBrad said:
Supreme said If you have spare buttons on your cabinet you can use JoyToKey to map a button to the ESCAPE key so everytime you press that button is like if you pressed ESC on your keyboard, this works to exit emulators back to BigBox and to close BigBox itself

This only works for some emulators and systems. Controller Automation should work with everything as it doesn't use the conventional close methods. If an emulator doesn't support the Escape button, the Controller Automation method can still work.

I can't get this to work when using RocketLauncher as the emulator. It works in all other emulators directly, including RetroArch and other platform specific emulators.

I.E. I have the "Button 10" as the hold button and "Button 9" as the secondary button to close the window (returning to LaunchBox.) This is the example as shown in the video.

If I'm launching a game directly in RetroArch and press down on the two joysticks (Button 10 and Button 9) it will close as expected.

If I launch a game through RocketLauncher and using RetroArch then this doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Have you tried setting up the exit key in RocketLauncher?

It's set to the default ESC key. Without using joytokey or another second party keystroke emulation app, is there a way to set it to multiple controller buttons? The autohotkey macros only allow one controller button push.

I've purchased and used the controller to keyboard apps when I used RocketLauncher with Hyperspin and didn't like that they had to be running all the time to work. One of the best features of Launchbox is it's exit works when it's running, and doesn't require a separate app that can interfere with other programs.

Note: my setup is duplicated across three PCs so having an app that must run all the time isn't feasible as the PCs aren't dedicated gaming systems. If I'm incorrect in the need to run them in advance for them to work, or there is another way in RL, I'm all ears.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes you can. When setting up a new exit key it will ask which buttons you want to use, just press them on your controller.

I'm going to laugh (or cry a little) when I get home if it's that easy. I swear I've tried that before, but must've done something incorrectly.

I'm still somewhat curious why the commands from Launchbox work when RL is launched with BigBox but not Launchbox. Obviously BigBox is designed for 10'/controller experience, but I'd assume the commands would be the same, especially as you program them in Launchbox initially.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a 360 controller which uses X-input on my computer. I have set it up in Rocketlauncher to close most of my emulators by pressing start+select at the same time. Don't remember it being very hard at all to setup.

I'm assuming the setting in LaunchBox doesn't work because the emulator is Rocketlauncher, so it maybe trying to close Rocketlauncher instead of the emulator.

3 hours ago, imdavid555 said:

Yes you can. When setting up a new exit key it will ask which buttons you want to use, just press them on your controller.

Sooo...apparently it was RetroArch that was exiting when I pressed Esc. When I configured the "Input Hotkey binds" in RetroArch to add the right stick press (button 9 in RA) as hotkey enabler, and the left stick press (button 8 in RA) as exit, it works - for games launched with RetroArch.

So basically the exit key in RocketLauncher isn't doing anything. It is the emulator key that is returning me to the front end.

I've attached a screenshot of the RL settings window that I believe is the correct one, with the correct settings.

RL_TK_JoystickToExitNotWorking1.png

RL_TK_JoystickToExitNotWorking2.png

@imdavid555 Does your RocketLauncher.ini file (Rocketlauncher_Directory/Settings/RocketLauncher.ini) have the Exit_Emulator_Key line in it?

Mine did not, even after setting the new keypress/controller commands through the RocketLauncherUI program.

I thought that might be the problem, but even after manually adding it, still no dice.  My settings are virtually the same as yours, except for the buttons I'm pressing. I'll try it with the Start and Select (joy7&joy8) and see if that works.

This has devolved into more of a RL issue than a Launchbox issue but I appreciate your assistance.

• 2 years later...

Hi I am having the same issue with the all rh game loader. I cannot figure out how to exit by holding my start button for 2 seconds using ahk in LB Or RL. I have the ahk script working for all other emulators. Thanks in advance Bman

Edited by bman83
Update