LaunchBox Community Forums

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

MarieH

As a huge fan of Castlevania games, I cannot wait for this one to be here. This will be one of the main distractions for me when it is released. I just watched this video for the first time and really can't wait for this!!! Is anyone else going to play it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQKm0BAuBgk

I'm definitely interested, but something about the gameplay videos I've seen has kindof concerned me... the movement looks a little floaty and potentially slow to respond due to animation. It's hard to say without having a controller in my hand and playing it - it just kindof stuck out to me. It could be that in reality your control isn't actually animation locked - again, hard to say without playing it, it just looks that way. Pay attention at 1:55 in that video when she turns from left to right and then right to left. Maybe it's just the animation itself, I dunno. It just looks "floaty". Take a look at this for comparison. There's still plenty of animation while walking but he basically switches direction instantly. Animating the switch in direction might look prettier but there can be gameplay ramifications as well (if you really are animation-locked). Nitpicky...I know. The game is gorgeous, aesthetically-speaking; and I'm a huge SOTN guy, so I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out.

lordmonkus said That floatiness and animation was in Symphony of the Night too and is something that could be easily tweaked as it gets closer to a finished product if they feel it needs to be changed.
Not really, not in the same way (or at least to the same degree) as what I'm talking about. That's why I linked the video from SOTN. Watch him go left and right up the stairs. Now watch when Miriam turns from one direction to the other. I'm less concerned with the animation itself (from a visual standpoint) than I am with the potential control loss from animation lock. If you actually can't change direction until that 0.5 second or however long animation is complete, then no, it's actually not like SOTN at all. It could be that you actually can change direction but it just has a bit of an overlong animation. It's difficult to say until I have an actual controller in my hand to see how it feels. But yes, it could definitely be tweaked between now and release for sure. It's just something that stood out for me while watching gameplay clips.