LaunchBox Community Forums

Core Remap problem

Ripklawe

Hello all,

First off, LOVE the work being done here. Just bought my premium license an hour ago. Best purchase I have made in quite some time.

That being said, I have an issue it seems (which is saying something because I have been using this for a few days solid with no issues, speaks volumes to the stability of the program and tutorial support out there if you ask me). I am trying to remap my Xbox 360 controller for Windows to a set of buttons per core. For example, I would love to remap my buttons for CPS-1 and CPS-2 games in a manner which is more in line with the majority of fighting games they deal with. Now, I CAN set the buttons up of course, under "Settings>Input>Input User 1 Binds" and that will, naturally, bind my buttons in game. The problem is that is also binds them in the retroarch menu and I like a different set of buttons for my controller there. Now, in some cores, like "bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll" or "mednafen_pce_fast_libretro.dll" for example, there is an option to set controls per core under "Quick Menu>Controls". This is awesome and has made gaming on those cores a lot more enjoyable. However, this option is not under the "Quick Menu" tab on cores for the CPS-1, CPS-2 and NeoGeo. Is this by design? Is it just not implemented on the menu? Is there a way for me to get that functionality, even manually if need be? I saw one post on these forums about something similar but it did not seem to be the exact same problem so that is why I am writing this.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

• Like 1

Leave your bindings in Settings>Input>Input User 1 Binds as default.

In the Configuration menu turn on Per Core Configuration.

Now when you load up a game like a Street Fighter open up the RA Quick Menu (F1 or XBox Live button on the controller) go to controls and remap them buttons in there as you want for your fighting games. Save that as a game remap. Now when you load up another fighting game like Darkstalkers or any other one open the quick menu and in Controls select load remap and look for the one you made for Street Fighter, it will be named the same as the rom file of the game you made it for in the first place.

Hi LordMonkus,

Thanks for the quick response. So, I did as you said but got to this part and ran into an issue:

Now when you load up a game like a Street Fighter open up the RA Quick Menu (F1 or XBox Live button on the controller) go to controls and remap them buttons in there as you want for your fighting games.

After setting my binds to default and turning per core configuration on, when I go and start up another fighter and then press the Quick Menu, there is no "controls" option nor is there anything named remap anywhere within the core, at least not that I can find. Am I missing a step?

Edited by Ripklawe

There should be a menu entry for Controls near the bottom of the quick menu and in there you should see a whole bunch of binding stuff but part way down there is load remap file, save core remap file and save game remap file.

If not you can try removing the config files from the main Retroarch folder and the configs folder (back them up first though just in case).

quick menu.jpg

controls menu.jpg

I removed all the configs, opened up a CPS-1 game with a default "retroarch.cfg" and there is still no "Controls" option under the "Quick Menu" list. I am NOT using the core you have in the pics above though so tried that core and success, I have control options. Seems the following cores do NOT have the "Control" option:

fb_alpha_cps1_libretro.dll
fb_alpha_cps2_libretro.dll
fb_alpha_neo_libretro.dll

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Ahh, yeah just use the core shown in my screenshots. Unless your system is of the lower end power wise such as a Raspberry Pi you won't see any benefit to using them. The way I understand it those separated cores are just a bit more stripped down for speed on low end systems like the Pi but on a normal system you won't see any performance difference.

Glad you got it sorted.

• Like 1

Another option is to create multiple emulator entries in LB for Retroarch, with different control configs, and then swapping between them as necessary. For example I have 3 FBA control profiles that I switch between because I like to have one specific button always be "fire" and one button always being "bomb" for every shmup, but not every game has the same button order so without some manual intervention they can get mixed up from game to game. With the multiple profiles I basically have Button A = Button 1 in game / Button B = Button 2 in game / Button C = Button 3 in game for profile 1; Button B = Button 1 in game / Button C = Button 2 in game / Button A = Button 3 in game; etc. I like doing it this way so that I can switch between them quickly from game to game without manually setting up button configs per game.

I kinda touch on how to do this in a post (for a different issue) here:

Basically you just create a new emulator entry, add in any alternate cores or config switches that you want, and then choose that as your emulator instead of whatever you normally use.

Obviously how worthwhile this method is going to be will depend largely on how many games you're talking about. For me, I like being able to swap them on the fly like this without actually having to change anything in RA per game.

• Like 1

Its really the only way to do the same emulator with different settings its an absolute must for Demul if you want to use both Arcade and DC in LB. DS its great for both horizontal and vertical games its a handy little work around. I would like the option to choose your preferred emulator from the context menu in LB and then again in the games details section of BigBox the same way additional apps work

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I would like the option to choose your preferred emulator from the context menu in LB and then again in the games details section of BigBox the same way additional apps work

Yeah I'd definitely like to see that implemented as well. If nothing else it'd speed up experimentation. There are some platforms that have a sortof defacto emulator but there are others where this isn't necessarily the case. In a perfect world the Mednafen team would work their magic on every platform and we wouldn't have to worry about that, but until then there will be some platforms where it's just a bunch of give and take between emulators and just deciding what things have to be sacrificed to accommodate other things and what's the closest to be okay among the multiple imperfect options. Anything to speed up the process of determining which option is least crappy is a benefit in my book :/ This option would also allow people who have multiple emulator entries for RA (or something else) to swap between them even faster than they can now.

I'd actually really like to see Mednafen take on DC and, if they got really adventurous, PS2.