LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame noob question.

Mute64

Cool thanks for your quick simple responses... just going to get a bios pack when i get home and then setup my controllers and i should be away laughing..... but emulation is never that simple lol... my artwork and bezels should still work fine if i copy across all of it from my old setup right? 

Oh cool.. yea it was a full rom set. Lol dont worry i wont yell at you... i have like a bunch of artwork for mame then a bunch of artwork for mame in Rocketlauncher so im sure ill get some sort of bezzel system setup between the two.

Do you have the CHDs as well are they worth looking into getting? 

I never bothered with the CHDs the size of the collection and my internet being what it is I never felt it was worth the time and drive space just to have some special audio and video. I'm not a collector of everything though I have a pretty good collection there are some things I just don't care to go out of my way to collect.

Yea thats how i feel... the CHD pack is like 350ish GB... i have the internet speed to download that  but wasn't sure if it was worth it... im moving back to NZ soon and probably won't have very good internet where i will be living so im trying to DL as much systems and ROMs as i can now... but i might skip on the CHDs... for now...

To clarify that, CHD’s aren’t about special audio or audio, they contain the games itself.

Some games (mostly from the late 90’s and 2000’s) had a hard drive in their cabinet instead of just using ROM chips only. CHD’s are basically just 1:1 images of these hard drives and are absolutely necessary in order to play those games.

With that said, most of the CHD’s games aren’t currently playable in MAME itself. The most prominent playable MAME games which require CHD’s are the Capcom Play System 3 games (all versions of Street Fighter 3, Red Earth, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure), Killer Instinct 1 & 2, War Gods, Chaos Heat.

But not only MAME games are requiring these CHD files. If you want to emulate arcade systems which need other emulators than MAME in order to play them (for example Sega Naomi though DEmul) you’ll need the CHD’s for them as well.

For Naomi I don't think you do need the CHD's I don't have any and almost everything I have for Naomi works. I know you can run the CHD's through Demul but not that it is necessary. Same with the CPS3 emulator you can play all 6 of those games without the CHD. To my understanding in MAME they are required for some games and isn't there a few games that don't even have ROMs but have CHD's

41 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

For Naomi I don't think you do need the CHD's I don't have any and almost everything I have for Naomi works. I know you can run the CHD's through Demul but not that it is necessary. Same with the CPS3 emulator you can play all 6 of those games without the CHD. To my understanding in MAME they are required for some games and isn't there a few games that don't even have ROMs but have CHD's

Just tested it and you’re right. It seems that there are indeed some clones for the CPS3 games which doesn’t require the CHD’s. Huh, didn't knew that. I’m always just using the parent versions and never bothered about the clones. Thanks for clearing that up.