LaunchBox Community Forums

Alias option for games in Games DB.

alissongamer

I would like to make a suggestion to put a second option for game names in Games DB, AKA like "Alias," and that this extra information could be drawn by the scraper LaunchBox because there are games that have different names in other regions.

For example: The Cratermaze game Turbografx-16 is named Doraemon: Meikyū Daisakusen in Japan, and this can confuse those who want to leave their leaner romset, and also avoid being have duplicate games by mistake in Games DB.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know that a solution for alternative titles is inthe workd. ^_^
But I want to ask something: could be added an option to add aliases for games despitetheir region changes? I mean, there are a lot of games out there that, independent of their region, they are named in different ways and cause conflicts in the database of people changing their name back and forth constantly. Common examples of endless conflicts I found moderating the database contents are: Adventure Island, alias Hudson's Adventure Island; Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles, alias Sonic 3 & Knuckles; The King of Fighters 99, alias King of Fighters '99: Millennium Battle and alias King of Fighters '99, The - Millennium Battle.

A suggestion that was spinning in my head for a while would be a solution for alternative titles just like in thegamesdb.net but with an option for region selection just like we do when adding images for every specific games. :)

Sorry for the very long text.  D:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FistyDollars said:

Alternate titles needs to happen soon. We're just going to keep nitpicking things to death otherwise.

I totally agree with you. Right now I have in my moderation queue the NES version of Adventure Island for the 6th or 7th time since I started moderating a couple of months ago. I'm starting to doubt about accepting or rejecting this change...  D:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/9/2016 at 2:06 PM, polygonslayer said:

A question somewhat related to this; I just started moderating and come across a game (PAL) on my moderation list which is already in the database under the US name and not sure if we currently decline these or accept them as new entries?

Cheers

If there's USA entry on database, reject it. I'm really sick of deleting again and again duplicates until we have regional names. If a game have USA release, the USA entry is mandatory and unique to add all the regional covers and info available. Same if a game have only japan or japan and euro release. When the adjustments are done we could add regional names and alias to the existing entry.

For example Contra III (US)/Super Probotector (EUR)/Contra Spirits (JAP) are all on the same entry Contra III http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/119

On 30/9/2016 at 2:06 PM, polygonslayer said:

A question somewhat related to this; I just started moderating and come across a game (PAL) on my moderation list which is already in the database under the US name and not sure if we currently decline these or accept them as new entries?

Cheers

If there's USA entry on database, reject it. I'm really sick of deleting again and again duplicates until we have regional names. If a game have USA release, the USA entry is mandatory and unique to add all the regional covers and info available. Same if a game have only japan or japan and euro release. When the adjustments are done we could add regional names and alias to the existing entry.

For example Contra III (US)/Super Probotector (EUR)/Contra Spirits (JAP) are all on the same entry Contra III http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/119