LaunchBox Community Forums

The XBox One Controller drivers are crazy in Windows 10.

Norfair

I took the plunge and bought an Xbox One S wireless controller along with the microsoft usb wireless adapter and rechargeable battery/cable (since I don't want to be limited to just one xbox one controller at a time as I plan to buy another since it's working so well). I LOVE it!!

I'm shocked and pleased to say that everything continues to work without doing much of anything so far, just by replacing my xbox 360 controller: Launchbox,Bigbox, Retroarch, all emulators I've tried, PC games, Xpadder (had to setup mappings again), Cemu (had to setup mappings for the xbox one specific cemu controller).

I did have to go through some Win 10 hoops to make it the main player 1 controller instead of the xbox 360 it replaced, but that is an issue even just changing xbox 360 to a different xbox 360 controller.

There is one issue that I don't like but I can live with it, because I don't want anything to stop working. Every time I boot up Windows when xboxstat.exe runs automatically (in the background), I get a visual c++ error popup, but clicking ok makes it go away and everything seems to work ok. I haven't yet tried to do anything about this because everything I googled so far on this specific error and xbox one with win 10 is older than the latest win 10 anniversary and other updates. I've also read to download the xbox accessories from the windows store to get an updated controller package but a lot of people say it broke their working xbox one controller setup. It also says it is needed to update the firmware on the xbox one controller itself so the headphone jack will work , but mine already works without doing anything, so I feel that maybe all the latest win 10 updates have already updated some stuff.

Maybe I'm lucky that everything works great or maybe it will for most people who get the latest controller and have latest win 10 updates.

1 hour ago, ckp said:

I took the plunge and bought an Xbox One S wireless controller along with the microsoft usb wireless adapter and rechargeable battery/cable (since I don't want to be limited to just one xbox one controller at a time as I plan to buy another since it's working so well). I LOVE it!!

I'm shocked and pleased to say that everything continues to work without doing much of anything so far, just by replacing my xbox 360 controller: Launchbox,Bigbox, Retroarch, all emulators I've tried, PC games, Xpadder (had to setup mappings again), Cemu (had to setup mappings for the xbox one specific cemu controller).

I did have to go through some Win 10 hoops to make it the main player 1 controller instead of the xbox 360 it replaced, but that is an issue even just changing xbox 360 to a different xbox 360 controller.

There is one issue that I don't like but I can live with it, because I don't want anything to stop working. Every time I boot up Windows when xboxstat.exe runs automatically (in the background), I get a visual c++ error popup, but clicking ok makes it go away and everything seems to work ok. I haven't yet tried to do anything about this because everything I googled so far on this specific error and xbox one with win 10 is older than the latest win 10 anniversary and other updates. I've also read to download the xbox accessories from the windows store to get an updated controller package but a lot of people say it broke their working xbox one controller setup. It also says it is needed to update the firmware on the xbox one controller itself so the headphone jack will work , but mine already works without doing anything, so I feel that maybe all the latest win 10 updates have already updated some stuff.

Maybe I'm lucky that everything works great or maybe it will for most people who get the latest controller and have latest win 10 updates.

does it specify which version of Visual C++ it's erroring for? Probably just need to re-install or install that version. Visual C++ is a separate run-time application and multiple versions of it can be installed at the same time, so even if the posts about that error are older than the build of Windows 10 you are on, it doesn't matter since Visual C++ does not update with Windows Update. Totally get it if you don't want to mess around with causing yourself more problems though.

27 minutes ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

does it specify which version of Visual C++ it's erroring for?

No, it doesn't at all. It's very generic. I don't think it's an actual problem with the installed vc++. I think it's simply that the exe producing this error isn't compatible in some way with xbox one and existing c++ runtimes. I have every possible vc++ redistributable runtime and all patches known to man installed. 

I think a fix will come from updating xboxstat.exe and/or some new vc++ install or patch and/or xbox one firmware, so I'm gonna wait a while on Microsoft for that. They already know there are several problems around Win 10 and xbox one controllers. Hoping it's just a matter of time. Since it's just a simple error popup that only comes up when I boot up, it's not killing me. Some posters got rid of it with the Win 10 Accessories app and the controller firmware update it has, but that same app and firmware also royally messed up other people with xbox one controllers who tried it. So, I'm waiting...

17 hours ago, ckp said:

I really like the controller too. I actually bought a second one on Black Friday. It was almost half price here in Sweden. It wasn't that hard to set up the second controller in the emulators now that I know how to do it.

How did you change controller order in Windows? For me this seems to be totally random, especially when you have both XInput and DirectInput controllers. I've noticed that switching USB ports can change the order.

My only issue now is that I can't use AutoHotKey in Launchbox/BigBox. Do you use AutoHotKey?

18 hours ago, ckp said:

I can't find a xboxstat.exe process on my system.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware on both controllers, but xboxstat.exe may come from the Xbox app (from Windows Store). I did uninstall the Xbox app (not the same as the Xbox Accessories app).

Microsoft makes it difficult to uninstall it, I used this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

I don't actually know what the Xbox app do. I just thought it only would be useful if you have a Xbox One (which I don't). Am I wrong?

32 minutes ago, Norfair said:

I can't find a xboxstat.exe process on my system.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware on both controllers, but xboxstat.exe may come from the Xbox app (from Windows Store). I did uninstall the Xbox app (not the same as the Xbox Accessories app).

It's in the system directory. It runs at startup on my system and then exits, assuming no error popup. For me I can see it runs as a startup item in task manager (check the startup tab). I have no idea what it is actually responsible for, but doesn't seem to hurt my xbox one controller at all from working.

All I know at this point is that everything works, but I get that error popup at boot up. I may look more into it later, but no time yet. I'm just happy the controller is working great!

1 hour ago, Norfair said:

How did you change controller order in Windows? For me this seems to be totally random, especially when you have both XInput and DirectInput controllers. I've noticed that switching USB ports can change the order.

My only issue now is that I can't use AutoHotKey in Launchbox/BigBox. Do you use AutoHotKey?

I just did this and it worked on my system:

Yes, I use autohotkey a lot and it still works fine when using my xbox one controller, just like it did with my xbox 360 controller. But there is an odd bug with ahk and controller automation using either controller and that is that if you exit a game/emulator using controller automation and you have an ahk code to kill Xpadder when exiting (for some emulators i use ahk to start xpadder and exit xpadder on close), it will not run that kill Xpadder code. This particular part will only run if you exit using the keyboard escape key (or escape button if assigned to the controller). That really bothers me, so I filed a ticket several weeks ago about it. All other things I've tried including ahk code to stop nomousy.exe works just fine for me using controller automation or keyboard escape key. 

36 minutes ago, ckp said:

Yes, I use autohotkey a lot and it still works fine when using my xbox one controller, just like it did with my xbox 360 controller. But there is an odd bug with ahk and controller automation using either controller and that is that if you exit a game/emulator using controller automation and you have an ahk code to kill Xpadder when exiting (for some emulators i use ahk to start xpadder and exit xpadder on close), it will not run that kill Xpadder code. This particular part will only run if you exit using the keyboard escape key (or escape button if assigned to the controller). That really bothers me, so I filed a ticket several weeks ago about it. All other things I've tried including ahk code to stop nomousy.exe works just fine for me using controller automation or keyboard escape key. 

I don't understand why I can't get AutoHotKey to work. I don't think it has to do with Launchbox, I have no problem when using my old DirectInput controller.

It may be the new firmware (which I have installed and you don't). Or maybe it has something to do with XInput. Are there any settings for XInput in Windows? I don't know much about XInput. 

Edited by Norfair

51 minutes ago, Norfair said:

I don't understand why I can't get AutoHotKey to work. I don't think it has to do with Launchbox, I have no problem when using my old DirectInput controller.

Is your controller able to control LB? does it show up and is it enabled in Options?

If yes to above, what exactly about AHK is not working with respect to your xbox one controller?

So I've ready that xboxstat.exe comes from xbox 360 drivers and/or software and that it isn't even needed for any controller to be functional. I may be able to get rid of my vc++ popup error simply by disabling it as a startup process. Gonna try that tonight and see if my xbox one and xbox 360 still work ok.

Found this on the PGP forums. Might be useful for some people to know. Since I'm using an xbox one now, I'm sure that's why I'm getting the error on boot as it is not able to talk to an xbox one controller. But it seems very useful to know for either controller user in case this is what causes you some issues trying to map that guide button for other activities.

Pinnacle [Rob] is offlineAdministrator/Developer

The xboxstat.exe file is installed with the Xbox 360 driver... it's made by Microsoft and basically all it does is tell you how much battery power is left. I'm not even sure it's installed with newer versions of the driver. Maybe there is some other info, but it doesn't seem very useful to me if all it does is display the battery power. It doesn't always seem to drop to the desktop, but I guess that it can... this basically happens because it's trying to show you a little box that indicates the battery life but it can't do that when a full-screen game is running, so it may drop back to the desktop.

It's perfectly safe to disable this, and I would actually recommend it if you are using your GUIDE button in a profile. You can disable this a few ways, but one way is to go to your Windows START MENU and RUN "msconfig" and you'll see on the window that appears that there is a "Startup" tab. On that tab, you'll see a list of programs that Windows is going to start automatically when it boots up... you likely will find xboxstat.exe in there and you can just uncheck the box or delete the item from the list.
Edited by ckp

13 hours ago, ckp said:

Is your controller able to control LB? does it show up and is it enabled in Options?

If yes to above, what exactly about AHK is not working with respect to your xbox one controller?

Yes, I can control both Launchbox and BigBox, but AHK doesn't recognize any input at all. I've done some testing and experimenting and I think I know what's happening.

I found some new drivers for a PS3 controller I have. Now Windows thinks the PS3 controller is a Xbox 360 controller. Btw, I also have the xboxstat.exe now (from the Xbox 360 Controller driver). Anyway, my PS3 controller acts like a Xbox 360 Controller and AHK is working.

I've done some testing in standalone AHK with this script: https://autohotkey.com/docs/scripts/JoystickTest.htm

My conclusion is this:

Xbox One Controller: Only the focused application can read input. Unfocused applications can't read any input (Launchbox/AHK can only read input when focused, not when a emulator has the focus)

Xbox 360 Controller: Input is sent to both focused and unfocused applications.

I think it's the latest Xbox One Controller firmware. I can't know for sure, but I think you will break AHK if you upgrade.

Edited by Norfair

That's a real bummer. It might be nice if @Jason Carr could get the new xbox one bluetooth controller and have a look at things with it, or maybe at least respond to this thread with some troubleshooting advice. Even using my xbox 360 wired controller I have always had an issue with LB running the ahk on game/emulator exit when using controller automation and trying to have ahk taskkill Xpadder (i have to exit with escape keyboard key). Maybe that's related, or maybe it isn't.

I don't know what firmware version I have on my xbox one bluetooth controller, but since things are mostly working for me, I don't want to chance upgrading the firmware in case it causes issues. 

Yes, that would be the best way for Jason to troubleshoot this, if he could get the controller.

But I'm not sure Jason can do anything about it if it's a firmware/driver issue. Unfocused applications seems to be unable to read input from the device. Or maybe there is a way for Launchbox to read the input anyway.

Hi guys, I have the controllers already, but I haven't played with this in a while. I'll add it to my list. I have to admit though that the last time I played with it, it was a nightmare. Microsoft have screwed up the drivers for the Xbox controllers so badly as of late that it's somewhat of a disaster. We had to switch controller automation to our own solution instead of using AutoHotkey because it just wouldn't work at all. So AutoHotkey in particular might be a lost cause.