LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch Mega/Sega CD problems.

Typhoon1944

Apologies if this is the wrong area to post this in.  I've searched to see if anyone else has a similar problem but I can't find anything and I would have asked in the Libretro forums but I'm not allowed to for some reason.  

My issue is that my Sega CD ISOs won't load in RetroArch using either PicoDrive or Gen Plus GX.  I thought it may have been the way the games were packaged (ISO, CUE & WAV files) but I've used Daemon Tools and Imgburn to repackage them into BIN & CUE files but that didn't help.  

I don't think it's a ROM problem as the original ISOs play well in PicoDrive on my PSP and they'll also run in Windows using Kega Fusion so it appears to be an issue with RetroArch but I can't figure out what.  I've tried putting the BIOS files directly in the Sega CD ROMs folder and also in the System folder in the RetroArch directory but no deal.  Both cores are telling me the BIOS files are present.

I have MAME, Neo Geo, CPS 1 & 2, Game Gear, Master System, Megadrive, 32x, SG 1000, GameBoy/GB Colour, GB Advance, DS, NES, SNES, N64, Lynx, Jaguar and even Steam games all running like a dream through Launchbox and ideally I'd like to use RetroArch for everything but I'm almost at the point of just leaving Fusion installed and telling Launchbox to use that just for Sega CD.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Do you have the bios and have them named properly ?

bios_CD_E.bin
bios_CD_U.bin
bios_CD_J.bin

They need to go in to the /system folder. Check your paths in the Retroarch config to make sure your system folder is pointing to the right place.

Also are you trying to load the cue sheets and not the bin files ?

Apologies.  This may be a duplicate post as I replied from my phone earlier but it doesn't appear to be here.

@lordmonkus I've used Daemon-Tools and Imgburn to convert the ISOs into CUE & BIN files but it makes no difference.  If they are run through LaunchBox the pointer will change to the Windows 10 spinning circle for a few seconds, the Launchbox window will shrink slightly then nothing happens.  If I run them through PicoDrive or Gen Plus GX directly from RetroArch it crashes and dumps me back out to the desktop.  I say it crashes but I'm not 100% sure as there are no error messages.  RetroArch just closes.  Picodrive on my PSP runs the ISOs with no issues and if I use Kega Fusion in Windows the ISOs work as well although I appreciate these are standalone emulators.  I genuinely think this is an issue with the cores rather than the games but I'm a new member on the Libretro forums and my permissions are set so I'm unable to submit new posts or reply to existing ones so I can't ask there.

@jadekitten I am importing the CUE files and the games are all showing up.  They'll even download the metadata from the LaunchBox and EmuMovies databases.

Edited by Typhoon1944

I have Android Assault loading from .cue with .iso and many .wav files only issue is it doesn't play the audio like fusion does. I'm going to look for a new copy actually as I want it to be the same format as my other games. Searching I have a few other .iso files but they seem to be working fine and playing audio in RA so it shouldn't be that it doesn't like .iso files as much it doesn't like your .iso files

I can almost guarantee something isn't setup right or your disk images are bad because  Retroarch and the Genesis GX core works perfectly. Have you tried getting some new images already in cue + bin format ?

Have you tried other CD based systems like PSX or TurboGrafx CD ? If those work then your bios location is correct but if they don't then I will still think it's a bios issue.

Yeah if it just closes with no error message I'm inclined to think it's a problem with your bios files. It's not guaranteed, but that seems the most likely to me; especially if literally no games are working with it (and those rips are working with other emulators apparently). The System sub directory is the correct one to put them in. Echoing lordmonkus, I use the Genesis Plus GX core and it works great for Sega CD.

Ok lets make sure everything is set up correctly. In the image you will see the highlighted areas now 1st does your platform name to the left say Sega CD the same as the Associated platform in edit emulator form if not then that is your problem right off the bat. If it does match do you have the command line filled out correctly with all the right spaces "s and no typos sorry for the rudimentary questions but nothing has worked so far so I'm taking it back to beginner level.SEGACD_RA.JPG

If neither Sega CD or Playstation is working then my next guess if your /system folder location isn't set right in Retroarch.

Go to the "settings" menu (the cogwheel) and scroll all the way down to "Directory", go in there and the very first setting "System/BIOS" check that and make it is pointing to the /system folder in your Retroarch install folder.