LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues with MAME

Charco

Hi guys, so I have a full MAME 0.161 set and followed Brad's tutorial on setting it up in LaunchBox.

I tested the roms with the MAME (2014) core in Retroarch and every game I tried seemed to work.

I imported all the roms and LaunchBox began scraping all the metadata from Emumovies as I am a lifetime member over there. I left it run overnight as there are about 25,000 roms in the set.

This morning I saw that the import completed with an error saying that "Emumovies failed to parse HQ video" or words to that effect. It seems there is a platform video but none for any games and many of the clear logos are missing.

Finally, when I click on a game in Big Box, RetroArch starts the game but focus remains on Big Box with the game playing in the background RA window. I have to exit Big Box in order to see the game. 

Can anyone help me with these issues please?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help you with the movies but I would suggest you use the Mame core without a year after it if you want to use Retroarch for Mame. The 2014 core is based on the 159 version of Mame plus you can turn off the nag screens in the core options.

As for your Retroarch loading up in the background do you have your Mame Retroarch core set to load full screen or windowed mode ?

Thanks for replying so fast. The reason I was using the 159 version is because when I loaded a rom with the latest MAME core the graphics were blurry, especially noticeable on text and nag screens for example. I had used stock RA settings and no filters, so I had no idea why it was doing that. Tried some settings to no avail and when I saw 159 version worked without issue I went with that core.

My MAME RA core is set to launch full screen, yes.

Edited by Charco

I'll check that setting now. I am using RA MAME over standalone as I prefer the ease of use of RA for controllers and shaders and as I am used to it I guess. If I continue to have issues with it I could change to MAME stand alone though. I'll check that setting now and get back to you.

I found Mame easier to setup controls for actually and with good HLSL shaders it looks really good. Retroarch Mame is just as good in terms of emulation quality though and you get more shader options. My issue with RA shaders though is I like a CRT shader and vertical Mame games don't work well with a CRT shader.

Ok, thanks for all your help anyway. I'll wait and see if Jason or others may have a solution. In the meantime, I am going to ask the guys over at Emumovies about that issue with the videos, I don't think the ones it grabbed for my other systems are HQ either and I have spent the weekend setting up all my systems. I hope there is a way to replace with HQ versions without starting everything from scratch if these are standard quality. If I had to set it all up again I think I would go insane! lol

EDIT: I changed the emulator for the arcade platform to the latest MAME RetroArch core to see if it made any difference but it still launches behind Big Box, with it's horrible blurry graphics :)

Edited by Charco

Ah ok, I guess I'll stick with the MAME (2014) core in that case if the latest one is broken. Your suggestion does work for the blurry graphics though, but no shaders like you said.

I still haven't figured out the issue with it launching in the background but I had enough to keep me busy with getting some missing videos from Emumovies FTP server and doing a tidy up. I bet we all spend more time configuring than playing!