LaunchBox Community Forums

Corrupt XML File

Newlander

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi @StuDentBR, if files disappeared most likely it's your anti-virus client. With the betas sometimes they can trigger false positives. Just install the latest version over top and you should be good to go. We're on the 6.12 official now. Make sure you disable your anti-virus before-hand though.

I must download the new version from the site and install in the same directory and will work again ?

Is there a chance that i might lose my settings and plataforms, and downloaded media ? i mean it took me a lot of time to set this up :/

• 3 years later...

My PC recently had a blue screen of death and now I am encountering the same issue (corrupt settings.xml file.) I have replaced the "corrupt"  settings.xml file in my data folder with every settings file in my backups folder starting with the newest and moving backwards as each didn't work. After trying all of the backup files, I tried to just delete the settings file from the data folder and still receive the error message. What would be my next course of action? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, reversecosmosis said:

image.thumb.png.a5f98bda9f54dbe27f7dd8bb592e1f05.png

Looking at the code, it doesn't look like that's possible, unless somehow the Settings.xml file still exists but is hidden. So that's strange. If you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder, I can look to see what might be actually happening.

1 hour ago, reversecosmosis said:

I just PMd you my Data folder. Thanks for taking a look. 

Alright, just tested with your data, and I didn't have any issues on startup. So this means that either it's an issue with reading or writing to the drive, or it's possible that there's hidden files in that folder that aren't being zipped up and aren't showing (though that would be strange).

Here's instructions on how to show hidden files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

• 8 months later...
On 10/14/2016 at 6:49 PM, Newlander said:

Hey Guys first post im in desperate need of help been working on an arcade machine for ages i have my cabinet coming tomorrow , went to open Launchbox this morning and was welcomed with this error message it says Root Element not found , i have tried restoring a backup of the XML file which are all from the 29th of September since then i have done a tonne of work on the setup i have tried restoring the backup however i get the same message judging on the root element there wcould be something wrong with my installation so i went to programs and features but launchbox isn't on the list - Any help would be awesome

Thank you  

IMG_0677[1].JPG

Hi , you need to delete everything on the data folder, but only the xml documents, then ou enter in launchbox and go to settings ,  platforms and select de emulators, thath wprk for me

14 minutes ago, Ponguta said:

Hi , you need to delete everything on the data folder, but only the xml documents, then ou enter in launchbox and go to settings ,  platforms and select de emulators, thath wprk for me

Anybody reading this, please dont follow that advice. Just replace the file specified, if you delete everything you will completely wipe your Launchbox and will need to start from scratch.