LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Does not Open Launchbox.xml broken

StuDentBR

Rename your Metadata folder then run LB it should create a new one run the Download metadata and Images wizard from tools choose to use the DB then don't choose to download any images as you should still have your in your folder see if that works You may be able to do this from all games since you are only trying to get the meta it should run very quickly.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Rename your Metadata folder then run LB it should create a new one run the Download metadata and Images wizard from tools choose to use the DB then don't choose to download any images as you should still have your in your folder see if that works You may be able to do this from all games since you are only trying to get the meta it should run very quickly.

Thank you so much for being so kind and help to fix it up, now it is working as expected, but i only managed to delete the metadata folder via linux, anyways right now i just have to add the games you had to delete.

I guess i will make a backup of the data folder myself, and i hope i does not happen again (which means no more beta version to me).

Thank you again.

This thread has me somewhat concerned I looked through @StuDentBR backup folder and it seems that LB is no longer making backups for your platforms and he had about 6 platform xml files that went corrupt This means you could easily lose your platforms and need to reimport a large number of games. If there are no plans to backup the platforms maybe this should be made more public so users can choose to back up their Data\Platform on their own. I have some installs with over 40 systems and I would hate to have to add them all again.

I just double checked my backups and I have one backup for Arcade and a few for my NoFiller platform but none of my other platforms are backed up I still have a bunch of LB.xml backups do I really need them still or the original file at all or is it able to be deleted now?

LaunchBox should be making a backup of the platform files every time a platform is changed. Looking at my backups folder, that is working for me as I have backups for several platforms that I've recently changed. I think what might be happening though is it still only keeps backups of the most recent files, so it's possible for them to no longer be the most recent, and lose some of your platform backups. In theory this shouldn't be a problem since a backup is taken before each save when changes are made to platform, but it's not ideal. I think we should keep at least one of each type in the Backups folder despite the date. I'll tackle this soon.

Okay I edited a platform and it is indeed in the backup folder the issue is unless you make a change to the platform it doesn't seem to do an initial backup of your platforms as I just added a few different arcade boards for Demul and they don't have a back up.

Well i have already done a backup myself of my data and metadata on google drive, it would be really bad to have to import everything again for me that only have 220 games in 6 plataforms i can imagine for those who have a bigger collection.

Anyways i think i found what may have caused all this trouble, i use my launchbox installed in a 1TB external hard drive and the usb cable is failing sometimes,maybe this have something to do with this, because some files of the last emulator (dolphin) that i was using  were also gone.

But just for security maybe the backups should be made more often (like every day and keep at least five days stored or something) i guess.... or even be stored at cloud or something...

Edited by StuDentBR

Yes that can be a huge issue I had issues with my drives spinning down and disconnecting on my server and it was wrecking havoc on my data storage and creating tons of lost and fragmented files it was a firmware issue with my drive boxes and I had to flash them with a tool get them to working properly again. You should get a new cable and not use the drive while it is having these issues.