LaunchBox Community Forums

Mark a game for removal "the right way"

Izzy

Because nothing that's been marked for deletion has actually been, you know, deleted?

And this has been happening for MONTHS. 

As a stopgap measure it makes about as much sense as anything.

Weird thing is, I've seen games marked for deletion get actually deleted, but they were particularly obscure, so I wonder if it's not deleting games that people have listed as part of their collections?

• Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 2:23 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Because we apparently don't have moderators that follow the rules, but also this person is completely over reacting. Obviously reject, but mark the actual title for deletion. I'll let Jason know.

Ahem... we know that an issue on the database remains, and many entries sending to deletion not are really deleted, the issue persist for months. Is a workaround to avoid a serious issue. The entries remain and many contributor stuff again with image data, and i'm really sick of moderating contributions for partially deleted entries. Before smacking the moderations, think twice, please.

No, people who are making the changes are not following the guidelines and then the moderators aren't following through properly. At this point in time, it's coming from both sides, clearly. I am sorry if you think I am being harsh about it, but I have thought about it. People are submitting data that is either not true or doesn't follow the guidelines, and the moderators are not moderating according to the guidelines. I'm not smacking anyone, but we can see who makes what changes and who moderates what changes, with which response. I'm not saying people need to be perfect, I know I've made a change or moderated a change that I had to think twice about and wish I could change my response, but even after we've asked people to stop taking matters in to their own hands and follow the guidelines as best as they could, they continued to do it their way. The updates to the database are coming, but we're a very small team, so we just ask everyone to bear with us and do the best job that they can under these circumstances, but actively defying us is not the way to go. It's going to just make things worse because instead of having great discussions about updates to the database or video games, we're having this conversation right now. Sorry to anyone who reads this and finds that harsh, I really do want everyone to be able to contribute and moderate, but the Community Guidelines exist in their current state based on the tools that are available. The point of the database is to make it a perfect companion to users who are using LaunchBox. Getting games properly deleted and the proper information is what the users want and deserve. If something was approved to be deleted, and it's not deleted right away, let us know and we'll take a look at it if it hasn't been deleted in 48 hours. That's the max time it should take for something to take effect. I added some JRPGs the other day, and it took about that long for the changes to be available for download.

If anyone feels the need to contact me via PM about any of this, please feel free to, we can have this discussion privately if you would like.

• Like 1

@SentaiBrad So do you want a list? Because I could spend HOURS combing through all the entries that were supposed to have been deleted and stuck around. Basically almost half the Genesis games are duplicates, left over from the merge with MegaDrive. SNES has a bunch of duplicates from the merge with Super Famicom as well. (and obviously, any of the zzz_not_a_game entries should be deleted) 

EDIT: never mind, it's been a while since I went through those sections. It looks like a lot of duplicates have been taken care of. Sorry.

Edited by FistyDollars

If stuff was properly approved for deletion, and it wasn't, then I would like a list please so that I can send it to Jason and we can try and figure it out. As much info as you could give me too, if you remember at all if anything was different, or if it went like a normal moderation. This could mean there is a deletion bug, but that's only if the game was approved for deletion and it never went anywhere.

We are actually in the middle of fixing this one now guys. Obviously it's proving a difficult bug to fix or it would have been fixed ages ago. I am still able to go through and manually delete all the games that have been marked for deletion, so I will do that again once we have the actual bug fixed.

17 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

But actively defying us is not the way to go.

My god! This is really overreacting. To find a workaround, already spoken in the forums to avoid the issue we've explained is a bad way to go?

All the moderators are doing tons of work, and hours for free, regardless the issues remaining on the database. And suggesting improvements not for PUSH, OR SMACK OR REQUIRE, but for contribute. Not the first time you use a bitter tone to comment some of this issues. What's the point of this. Defying? Yes, (irony) i've spend lots of free hours to the launchbox database with the objective to offend anyone. What a way of thinking, my god!

Actually no, all the games I've requested that were approved had their images removed, but the entry still existed. Surprisingly, all the Pokemon rom hacks got approved for deletion, and a few pokemon  game duplicates, but the damn name changes aren't being approved. Most are on 2 approved, 2 rejected, and some even have 3 rejections. People seriously don't read the guidelines. xD I also love that it looks like Pokemon Green to Pocket Monsters Green will be rejected, same as changing the Pocket Monsters Green front box art from no region to Japanese. It shows Pokemon Green, but the Pocket Monsters Green box art, and it's being rejected in both the opposite way...?