LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulating on 4K TV

bjwest

If you have an emulator that supports 4k then those games will be in 4K. If the emulator doesn't the TV will just scale it back to the resolution the emulator supports. The majority of broadcast media isn't even in 4K yet so you will most likely only be using the 4K in limited amounts until it is more heavily supported by the content creators.

12 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

If you have an emulator that supports 4k then those games will be in 4K. If the emulator doesn't the TV will just scale it back to the resolution the emulator supports. The majority of broadcast media isn't even in 4K yet so you will most likely only be using the 4K in limited amounts until it is more heavily supported by the content creators.

So the picture shouldn't be too pixelated on a large screen then when it's scaled back to the emulator limit?

No I think it will be fine but I really don't know I've seen the 4K demos at the electronics stores only really and they make sure they are always showing you the amazing looking 4K demo videos. I imagine though if they didn't show the other resolutions decently that the consumers would be out with their pitch forks (on the internet of course) blasting the TVs and warning the public not to buy them.  Their are already nah sayers on 4K anyway here are 3 fairly recent articles (are they still considered articles when on the web) that may help you out. That being said if you want to make a purchase on something and you aren't worried about being an early adapter of new tech then it is feasible to get in now on 4K as I'm sure they are creating more content for it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-you-shouldnt-get-excited-about-4k-and-hdr-gaming-at-least-not-yet/

http://www.businessinsider.com/4k-pc-gaming-not-worth-it-yet-2016-7

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2990895/hardware/the-state-of-4k-gaming-what-you-need-to-know-from-pricing-to-performance-needs.html

• Like 1

I have a 4K 55" Samsung tv and everything looks great on it in LaunchBox. I use the crt-easymode shader on all of my RetroArch cores and it looks lovely. For the newer stuff, something like F-Zero GX on the Dolphin emulator looks absolutely stunning at 4K.

• Like 2

i am on a 4k screen and i have no problem playing older games just dont sit to close. 

only game i have had an issue in was Eye of the Beholder (snes) the text was unreadable. but all other text rpgs on the system has been perfect.   and if you want the screen smaller bezel can do wonders

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Charco said:

I have a 4K 55" Samsung tv and everything looks great on it in LaunchBox. I use the crt-easymode shader on all of my RetroArch cores and it looks lovely. For the newer stuff, something like F-Zero GX on the Dolphin emulator looks absolutely stunning at 4K.

Is that the shader that gives the scan lines? I like that look!

10 hours ago, ALIE said:

i am on a 4k screen and i have no problem playing older games just dont sit to close. 

only game i have had an issue in was Eye of the Beholder (snes) the text was unreadable. but all other text rpgs on the system has been perfect.   and if you want the screen smaller bezel can do wonders

What size screen do you have?