LaunchBox Community Forums

eXoDOS/Win3Xo, MEAGER export and LB 6.x

MattM1121

Unless @eXo changes a lot of games up, then there might not be too much need, but that depends on what he would say. If all the games, for the most part, stay the same and you can take them and insert them in place, then I don't see why you should need to. Now, some games will certainly be updated or added, but if you're grabbing them from a torrent that isn't a single zip, you should be able to pick out the new and updated ones based on a changelog (if one is kept). I hope that that there is a version of the collection that essentially comes with no games, for people with old sets updating. I don't want to speak for eXo at all, but I would be willing to bet he's considered that.

• Like 1

The first issue with my collections is I have no control over how they are packaged and distributed other than the two official places I release them. The internet archive for example packages all 5 volumes into one huge set. Other sites do similar things, or add their own things, or whatever.

As far as releasing a version that does not include the games, I would have difficulty seeing the point. Most, if not all, torrent clients allow you to select which files you want to download from a larger torrent. If someone only wanted the front end files, then they could simply select the front end files and not all the games. I suspect there would be great difficulty in keeping a "no games version" properly seeded. It would also lead to confusion over which version folks should have.

3.0 will include new games, but more importantly, it includes a TON of fixes to existing ones. A fellow from Russia began going through my collection game by game and creating notes on every problem he encountered. It is really quite amazing how much time he has put into this. I then went through and fixed all of the issues he noted, resulting in a much more reliable experience across the board.

When 3.0 releases, I will provide instructions on the sites I release to as to how best upgrade one's existing collection without downloading much in the way of duplicate data. 

That said, 3.0 requires two major things for release:

First, outlining, integrating, and releasing support for the collections within Launchbox.

Second, finishing up work on my end with the new games being added and such. 

Regardless of how fast Jason is able to move on integration, I suspect I won't have my part done until mid-summer. 

• Like 2

If you point a torrent to an existing file base, it will hash check and only download the differences. So as long as the content creator (me) doesn't do something stupid and start renaming files, it won't re-download existing ones.

"When 3.0 releases, I will provide instructions on the sites I release to as to how best upgrade one's existing collection without downloading much in the way of duplicate data. "  - I really appreciate this, I have the full internet archive set with the Windows collection and all...

4 minutes ago, cleverest said:

"When 3.0 releases, I will provide instructions on the sites I release to as to how best upgrade one's existing collection without downloading much in the way of duplicate data. "  - I really appreciate this, I have the full internet archive set with the Windows collection and all...

Unfortunately, they're one of the sites were talking about that this upgrade wouldn't work on. They provided the downloads as one giant zip, meaning picking and choosing, or updating only whats different is almost impossible.

Sure, but presumably cleverest has decompressed that giant zip file. 

The decompressed set should match my individual volumes. I actually designed them to be able to all be placed in the same folder, and yet still seeded - as no file in any of the volumes shares the same file name with a different hash check.

eg: A person can download all 5 volumes. Move them into the same folder. Re-point the torrent to the new folder. Allow it to hash-check. And be able to go back to seeding at 100%.

So, with that known, pointing eXoDOS 3.0 at the file structure should have no problem hash checking the existing games and skipping any that are unchanged.

• Like 1

"Sure, but presumably cleverest has decompressed that giant zip file. "  YES...it's not remaining as a single zip...lol, couldn't use it if it were....

That fact I've installed some games, added folders, and files (later fixed), but not renamed anything...presumably that shouldn't break any upgrade, whether copying into it, or seeding over the main root installation folder, etc...

:-)  I can't wait!

Edited by cleverest

13 hours ago, MattM1121 said:

I'll have to say; with all the work that's going on with this I won't be surprised if your effort and name end up in the Smithsonian Archives. Well done indeed. 

;) I appreciate the sentiment. However I don't think they like pirates over there very much. 

Hi eXo, quick question regarding the exoDOS and Win3xO packages. I put them both in the same directory with all games in a joint games subdirectory. I ran the Win3xO batch file and it seems to be decompressing all the artwork. Do I still need to run the exoDOS batch file afterwards? Thanks. 

Edit: tried it with just the Win3xO batch file. Started Meagre - get the error message: "no data found - please check folders". I have not moved any folders around - simply left things in the root folder as suggested. Any help appreciated.

Edit2: seems it doesn't like having the & symbol in the directory name. Removed that, changed it in the meagre.ini file and now it's loading the folders.

Edited by Dan