LaunchBox Community Forums

DivinityCycle

So, I'm sure most of you guys are aware that Nintendo's new "NES Classic" has actually come out in the USA at a street price of $60, and is selling out super fast at many retailers. While the styling of the device itself is very "retro", it seems to be, for all intents and purposes, some kind of purpose-built hardware that just runs an NES emulator and lets you switch between 30 built in ROMs. It also has save states. I'm curious what people here make of this. 

My take on this: much like with their Amiibos and other stuff, Nintendo has a knack for making products that I have absolutely no practical need for but are still charming and tempt me to buy them just because "I want it!". Like, in this case, having to use the boxy old style NES controllers with super short wires and being limited to only 30 games and only the stock interface are all reasons I shouldn't want or need this device. I've got a super powerful computer with LaunchBox and wireless controllers. And yet... I still kinda want one, not gonna lie.

One thing that is interesting is that many reviews I've read have made mention of the video output coming off this thing as being super nice. They have 3 different display modes, but generally it seems like people are just going for a crisp "original pixels" look, which is surprising. I'm using a scanline shader setup for most of my old RetroArch platforms, including NES, and it "looks the most right" to my eyes.

• Like 1

Yeah I want one as well and will pick one up once the initial feeding frenzy dies down so I can just walk into a store and pick one up without waiting in line.

This thing is not targeted towards people like us though and nor are they targeted towards people who collect and play on real hardware. This is targeted towards the people who grew up with the NES but are not into emulation or into retro collecting but want to play some of those old games again. A relative of mine for example who is into modern consoles and had an NES back in the day but don't care about collecting or have the desire to learn about and set up emulation at all wants the NES Classic to play Dr Mario again.

As far as the pixel perfect look vs the crt shaders goes, that is just personal preference. I prefer a good crt scanline shader as well but many people really dig on the clean sharp pixels.

• Like 1

More than the unit itself, I'm really intrigued by the controllers. I love that Nintendo are releasing (from what the reviews are saying) 99% identical replicas of the controllers I grew up with. Throw a classic controller to USB adapter on it, and you've suddenly got an amazing 8-bit emulation controller for your PC!

I'm as happy about this as I was when Nintendo started making new GameCube controllers for Smash for WiiU, and then gave us a USB adapter to go along with it. 

• Like 1